• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Familiarity between rimfire and centerfire

UKMan

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2024
First time poster, long time reader. I have a Ruger precision rimfire that I adore and shoots lights out for me. Put an oversized bolt knob and ERGO zero angle grip on it and it just seems to work for me for plinking and taking out to 350 yards to hear the “ding”. I am a long time hunter (archery and gun) and would like to get more into the centerfire precision world. Thunder Valley Precision in Ohio is a short drive for me to spend a day shooting.

I have no real desire to compete, just want to be able to have some fun and teach my son more about the sport. It seems to make the most sense to go ahead and buy the big brother RPR (either 6.5 or .308) and set it up exactly the same way as my rimfire version for overall familiarity? The RPR would be my top end of the budget.

If not this then I would still like to get into a rifle that I could put into some like the ORYX chassis so I can put the same grip on it to have the same feel.

Any thoughts or opinions on this would be greatly appreciated!

The RPR is a big, heavy gun that’s probably overpriced these days. Yes, it’s more or less the big brother to your Rimfire, but does it matter that much, especially if you’re not competing? Most bolt guns operate pretty similarly, so I can’t see you having any major issues. I’d pick up a Solus in 6.5CM and call it a day.

IMO, I think people make way too much of a deal trying to match their rimfire rifle with their match rifle (or vice versa in your case).

I wouldn't get an RPR just because it matches your rimfire. If you want it, go for it. Or do something different.

Reactions: UKMan
6 or 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger Predator in a Trybe chassis. Probably be all in for $750-$800. Similar ergonomics to the RP Rimfire. IMO.

Reactions: UKMan
6 or 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger Predator in a Trybe chassis. Probably be all in for $750-$800. Similar ergonomics to the RP Rimfire. IMO.
Now that’s an option I haven’t thought of! Appreciate it!

Reactions: BLJ