• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fanny Pack/Bum Bag/Lumbar Pack

PhilOX11

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2022
Wiltshire
Due to recently having a pacemaker fitted I am having to change how I carry my hunting kit as I can't use a daysack as the shoulder strap will put pressure on the unit. A shoulder bag would not be compatible with my bino harness so I have decided on a Fanny Pack/Bum Bag/Lumbar Pack.
I need a main compartment big enough to carry a foxpro caller. I also take a small flask of tea, a few snacks, deer skinning knives and a few other items. I think the total volume will need to be a minimum of 1000 cubic inches and being able to use it without shoulder straps is a must so it must fit well around the waist.
I do realise I will have to make compromises, but sadly I can't just throw everything in a bergan and just get on with it any longer.
Any advice would be warmly received, Philip

My past experiences with fanny packs w/o shoulder straps has been less than stellar.

Can you use an upland coat or vest? Or even a turkey hunting vest?

Some of these will hold just about anything you state you need to carry, plus much, much more if desired.

My past experiences with fanny packs w/o shoulder straps has been less than stellar.

Can you use an upland coat or vest? Or even a turkey hunting vest?

Some of these will hold just about anything you state you need to carry, plus much, much more if desired.
I have never heard of them, so will have a look.

I know it’s not even close to your desired cubic inch capacity, but there stuff is extremely modular and I’m sure you could add other pouches/bags to this setup.

Reactions: Vandoogle13
Thanks, but sadly they are both to small.
Maybe I am in the wrong forum, if so is there a sensible hunting forum?

A “battle belt” with a few GP pouches, might work better than a lumbar pack. (Canteen carrier, gp pouch for snacks, gp pouch for sundries, knife sheath on belt, carry foxpro by handle…) But, the utility of anything without shoulder straps is going to be limited by your physique. If you don’t have a pretty trim waist, anything without shoulder straps might just slip down, or need to be so tight as to be uncomfortable. I don’t know how old you are, but pacemaker makes me think “somewhat advanced years.” You need a grandkid to carry your stuff hunting, not a pack.

A very cursory search for find a couple of models of lumbar bags that have a single shoulder strap. Maybe that could be a reasonable compromise between stability and the pacemaker…

I have the Mountain Smith medium lumbar pack that I use a lot. Not sure of the volume, but adding a flask/bottle carrier to the waist belt helped free up room.

The Alps Outdoors Big Bear has more volume, but relies on a shoulder harness to distribute weight. Lately, it has been my go to for hunting.

Due to recently having a pacemaker fitted I am having to change how I carry my hunting kit as I can't use a daysack as the shoulder strap will put pressure on the unit. A shoulder bag would not be compatible with my bino harness so I have decided on a Fanny Pack/Bum Bag/Lumbar Pack.
I need a main compartment big enough to carry a foxpro caller. I also take a small flask of tea, a few snacks, deer skinning knives and a few other items. I think the total volume will need to be a minimum of 1000 cubic inches and being able to use it without shoulder straps is a must so it must fit well around the waist.
I do realise I will have to make compromises, but sadly I can't just throw everything in a bergan and just get on with it any longer.
Any advice would be warmly received, Philip

A ' Large volume' lumbar pack that you need, You probably will not find a Large volume Lumbar pack without using main lift/shoulder strap support to control the larger size . You will most likely have to go after custom shop build.

But for example in ( the Pic. ) this size/volume of Lumbar w/shoulder strap is what your asking about . . I been using a large Lumbar pack w/with main lift shoulder straps for many years night hunting and have grown to really like my setup .
In the Pic. is a Cheep Allen Pack/brand . get it or very similar . It low-end-$.. but it is ( exact example ) Pic. of what you describing in looking for in fill volume .
The Top zipper section will fit perfect a.. foxpro Hellfire or Shockwave . bottom zipper section will fit/carry your NV clip-on or Therm rifle Gear . also outer pockets will fit a LFR , Batteries . couple hand calls, rubber gloves ...etc -
-
-
Allen Pack m.jpg

-

A “battle belt” with a few GP pouches, might work better than a lumbar pack.
1000ccc is right at 3 cans of coke volume.......suggestion of battle belt, with QD pouch options, seems the best so far, without any shoulder straps keep in OP desired parameters. Use sturdy MOLLE / riggers belt.
IMG_2026Safariland QLS Clip-ON Mounts Rigger Belt Setups 02.10.22 copy.jpg
IMG_5173 copy.JPG
IMG_5175 copy.JPG

Last edited:
This video gives you perspective on the size of this large rig .

Reactions: softcock
I took the same mountain smith pack, cut the waist belt off and put a Hill people gear waistbelt on it. it's alot more comfortable and has molle to add gear

If you have a Bass Pro close by check them out. They usually have a few different size fanny packs you can try on and out.
And the correct nomenclature is Murse (as in Man Purse)😁
I have one from BPS I use to tote around my night hunting gear. First time I showed up with it I got ROASTED…..but within a month they all had one lol. Sure makes it easier to carry stuff around when carrying a rifle and tripod too, especially in summer when pockets are few.

I know it’s not even close to your desired cubic inch capacity, but there stuff is extremely modular and I’m sure you could add other pouches/bags to this setup.
came here to say this with a field quiver, battle belt, and multiple pouches...though pricey

or various mountainsmith options

but 1,000 CI is pretty large no matter what

came here to say this with a field quiver, battle belt, and multiple pouches...though pricey

or various mountainsmith options

but 1,000 CI is pretty large no matter what
16L is basically a small combat ruck.

Have no idea if this is totally a non-starter due to the torso coverage, but one option might be to do something really light up top. Think a ULTRA-style hydration pack ( 8-10L), or even a minimalist bullet pack, and combine this with the waist belt style pack.

Much easier to get the 15L capacity this way, and the UL top packs are very low stress on the back...they sit flatter and/or longer but more on center-line. End of the day, there is alot less canti-levered mass to stress your upper-body/harness.

We used to run toolbelts on the dirtbikes to keep weight out of the hydration packs for this reason. Seemed to work pretty decent vs running 20L packs up top.

Anyways, to add to the thread...
Here's mystery ranch offering, at 9L (±500 cu in)

For the 16L capacity, in the same line, here is their offering (its a pack tho)