• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fantasy world suomi

VJJPunisher

Necromancing the stone
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2010
prison purse
Doin a Suomi kit and figured why not do a light machine gun type of thing that never really existed but could have. Spliced two shrouds together to elongate for the longer barrel, then added a forend, why not a brake to look a little closer to the lmg’s of the ww2 era, of course needs a bipod so modified a Bren bipod. Rear sights on suomi’s sucked so modified an Arisaka rear so it has a stand up adjustable sight.

Not done yet got some small things to finish up and polish out and refinish, just a fun wierdo build that could’ve been

Attachments

• 6E31A1F8-8CA4-46F4-B47A-D6DF9C11ED6F.jpeg
    6E31A1F8-8CA4-46F4-B47A-D6DF9C11ED6F.jpeg
    664.5 KB · Views: 199
  • 7FCAB431-C255-40E9-B159-8A0C3B17D916.jpeg
    7FCAB431-C255-40E9-B159-8A0C3B17D916.jpeg
    403.6 KB · Views: 201
  • F2ADADBC-2248-4B21-8EB2-88143543284C.jpeg
    F2ADADBC-2248-4B21-8EB2-88143543284C.jpeg
    739 KB · Views: 204
Doin a Suomi kit and figured why not do a light machine gun type of thing that never really existed but could have. Spliced two shrouds together to elongate for the longer barrel, then added a forend, why not a brake to look a little closer to the lmg’s of the ww2 era, of course needs a bipod so modified a Bren bipod. Rear sights on suomi’s sucked so modified an Arisaka rear so it has a stand up adjustable sight.

Not done yet got some small things to finish up and polish out and refinish, just a fun wierdo build that could’ve been
Looks great. Thanks for sharing

Rewelding the pieces from these kits would be a real asspain, I made a whole new reciever tube and saved the front “trunion” section off the kit. Will try and get some better pictures up later

As a fellow Finnish heavy metal fan, I do enjoy the original pattern. But OP's version looks kinda cool, reminds me a little of the Danish Madsen.
I have no doubts about it being a very unique and cool piece when it’s done!

I have no doubts about it being a very unique and cool piece when it’s done!
I'm interested in seeing the finished product for sure.

I presume your Suomi is the same TNW build as mine? I've wanted to shorten the barrel to normal length 'cause it looks terrible poking past the OG brake. It's one heavy cyka; I wanna know how much OP's build is gonna weigh!

Reactions: MadDuner
CE120702-58DB-406B-867F-1C0BE5E62559.jpeg

I presume your Suomi is the same TNW build as mine? I've wanted to shorten the barrel to normal length 'cause it looks terrible poking past the OG brake. It's one heavy cyka; I wanna know how much OP's build is gonna weigh!
Heavy for sure.
Imagine those poor SOBs trudging through the Finnish winter with 8 or 10 of the round mags full!

I do not rrally know very much about this Suomi. It basically fell into my lap.

Heavy for sure.
Imagine those poor SOBs trudging through the Finnish winter with 8 or 10 of the round mags full!

I do not rrally know very much about this Suomi. It basically fell into my lap.
I'm 99% sure SOP was one drum in the gun, one spare, and sticks for any other reload IF they carried them. Russians seemed to work that way as well.

Courtesy of Wikipedia, some Finnish soldiers strolling by a busted Soviet tank. Guy in front's got one drum in his SMG and a second one visible on his belt.
Tali-Ihantala.jpg

Here's a couple more of Finnish troops. The drums have a little loop on them to be clipped to a belt or shoulder strap. You can see the one guy's belt really sagging from the weight of a drum and canteen in the same spot!
Lauri_T%C3%B6rni_1944.07.27.jpg
Olavi_Alakulppi.jpg

A couple photos from the '43 Warsaw Uprising of Waffen SS personnel, two of whom (same people in both pics) have Suomis but only seem to have the one drum each.
Stroop_Report_-_Warsaw_Ghetto_Uprising_03.jpg
Stroop_Report_-_Warsaw_Ghetto_Uprising_-_26549.jpg

I see where Serbu got the idea to have a screw breech for his 50.

I think one of those pictures of the Finns may be Lauri Torni.

Look him up.

Last edited:

On one I sold, I welded two handguards together so I didn't have to have the barrel going past the brake. I SBR'ed my own personal KP31 Suomi. Video of the Suomi with two handguards welded together to cover the 16" barrel. I made a normal side charging handle on thisone for reliability's sake. My SBR'ed KP 31 has the correct charging handle but was a pain to get it 100% reliable. Terrible video with me looking fat...problem since corrected.

On one I sold, I welded two handguards together so I didn't have to have the barrel going past the brake. I SBR'ed my own personal KP31 Suomi. Video of the Suomi with two handguards welded together to cover the 16" barrel. I made a normal side charging handle on thisone for reliability's sake. My SBR'ed KP 31 has the correct charging handle but was a pain to get it 100% reliable. Terrible video with me looking fat...problem since corrected.

Keto.

All the bacon and steaks you want but you can never eat pizza or ice cream.

I see where Serbs got the idea to have a screw breech for his 50.

I think one of those pictures of the Finns may be Lauri Torni.

Look him up.
Middle of picture #2 is indeed then-Lieutenant Törni. The picture had the caption (translated from Finnish):

"Pictured on the left is Captain Railio JR 33, in the middle is the knight of the Mannerheim Cross, Lieutenant Törni, commander of the Jääkäri Company, and on the right, the previous "adjutant", Lieutenant Pitkänen. North side of Lake Tolvaj. 1944.07.27"

Picture #3 is of Olavi Alakulppi, who also moved to the US post-war and joined the US Army.

Reactions: pmclaine
As in surface to air stinger missile?
Meh, those are easy to get in Peshawar... Plus have no need for one.

This is the Stinger I'm talking about!

Field expedient 1919 Mod that ran belts like an MG42!!!

Sirhr

Here’s a visual of how I built a new tube, saving the “trunion”. The center section is bored the dia of the front half of the bolt, the rear of that piece is what sets the headspace. After they are all three screwed together it is welded. Then machine the mag well and ejection port

Attachments

• 74E421FB-6CED-48D1-ABB7-363DFB945F38.jpeg
    74E421FB-6CED-48D1-ABB7-363DFB945F38.jpeg
    974.4 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: Hollywood 6mm

Cool dude.

The fact that his life isn’t a movie yet is a crime. Could be a series really.

Early life in Viipuri, Karelia (Finland)
Winter War service in a Jaeger Battalion

iu

Interim officer training in Austria with Wermacht
Continuation War with his own Jaeger Company
Mannerheim Cross as Major in Finnish Army
Foreign resistance training in Germany to counter Soviet occupation in case of future invasion
German Army

iu

British POW camp
Escaped British POW camp
Returned to Finland and arrested by secret police
Multiple escapes/arrests from Finnish prison
Pardoned

iu

iu

Sweden/engagement to be married
Boat to Venezuela
Boat to Gulf Coast/Swim into Mobile Alabama
Link-up with other ex-pat Finns who were in US Army
Enlisted in US Army as a Private at 35yrs old

E-5/SGT Mountain and Winter Warfare Instructor at Fort Carson
SF training at Bragg, Commo dude

iu

Assigned to 77th SF Group at Bragg
Commissioned as 2nd Lt

iu

PCS’d to 11th Airborne Division in West Germany
The historic German bar incident, pending Court Martial for hospitalizing 2 German nationals
Pulled into 10th Group at Bad Tölz by a Finnish ex-pat Battalion Commander
ODA Commander, promoted to Captain
The famous Iran US ELINT bird recovery operation

iu

His ODA was used for an SF promotional/training film on UW, Airborne Insertion, Partisan link-up, bridge demo, egress

iu

iu

PCS’d to 7th Group at Bragg
Deployed as Det Commander for A-734 to Vietnam
Transferred to 5th Group to command a B-Team
Reassigned to SOG as an Ops officer

iu

Was in the Command & Control bird for the first insertion of SOF Recon teams into Laos, tasked with confirming presence of NVA against the treaty to not use neighboring nations for the war effort. Went MIA, never returned from the mission.

Legends within SF rumored for decades that he was running mercenaries or Rade tribesmen fighting commies still somewhere in the SEA jungles.
10th Group NCO award named after him
Remains discovered in 1999
PID via DNA of his remains in 2003
Buried in Arlington National Cemetery in June 2003

iu

iu

The fact that his life isn’t a movie yet is a crime. Could be a series really.

Early life in Viipuri, Karelia (Finland)
Winter War service in a Jaeger Battalion

iu

Interim officer training in Austria with Wermacht
Continuation War with his own Jaeger Company
Mannerheim Cross as Major in Finnish Army
Foreign resistance training in Germany to counter Soviet occupation in case of future invasion
German Army

iu

British POW camp
Escaped British POW camp
Returned to Finland and arrested by secret police
Multiple escapes/arrests from Finnish prison
Pardoned

iu

iu

Sweden/engagement to be married
Boat to Venezuela
Boat to Gulf Coast/Swim into Mobile Alabama
Link-up with other ex-pat Finns who were in US Army
Enlisted in US Army as a Private at 35yrs old

E-5/SGT Mountain and Winter Warfare Instructor at Fort Carson
SF training at Bragg, Commo dude

iu

Assigned to 77th SF Group at Bragg
Commissioned as 2nd Lt

iu

PCS’d to 11th Airborne Division in West Germany
The historic German bar incident, pending Court Martial for hospitalizing 2 German nationals
Pulled into 10th Group at Bad Tölz by a Finnish ex-pat Battalion Commander
ODA Commander, promoted to Captain
The famous Iran US ELINT bird recovery operation

iu

His ODA was used for an SF promotional/training film on UW, Airborne Insertion, Partisan link-up, bridge demo, egress

iu

iu

PCS’d to 7th Group at Bragg
Deployed as Det Commander for A-734 to Vietnam
Transferred to 5th Group to command a B-Team
Reassigned to SOG as an Ops officer

iu

Was in the Command & Control bird for the first insertion of SOF Recon teams into Laos, tasked with confirming presence of NVA against the treaty to not use neighboring nations for the war effort. Went MIA, never returned from the mission.

Legends within SF rumored for decades that he was running mercenaries or Rade tribesmen fighting commies still somewhere in the SEA jungles.
10th Group NCO award named after him
Remains discovered in 1999
PID via DNA of his remains in 2003
Buried in Arlington National Cemetery in June 2003

iu

iu

Did he ever take "Sensitivity Training" or play a sensitive commander in the film " So your Platoon NCO wants to Transition"

• Haha
Reactions: LeftyJason
Meh, those are easy to get in Peshawar... Plus have no need for one.

This is the Stinger I'm talking about!

Field expedient 1919 Mod that ran belts like an MG42!!!

Sirhr
Tell me more, you have the kit for that configuration or just an anm2 kit?

I have an A6 kit... complete. Needs Denial block sideplate. I think I have a BAR bipod. And Garand stocks are easy.

As it would be a semi, the rate of fire is irrelevant. So no need for the ANM internals. But probably needs an ANM barrel or a 1919 barrel modified externally (which I can do)

I have a couple of 1919's already. One of those could be converted, too. Save the internal work! PM Inbound.

Cheers,

Sirhr

As long as he doesn't paint any freakin soup cans on my stinger... I can deal!

Cheers,

Sirhr
Could paint a C-rat can on it and keep it genre-appropriate. Did the .30 cal ever get C-rat cans attached to it to aid in feeding the way they did with the M60? I don't think I've ever seen it, so my guess is "probably not"?

Could paint a C-rat can on it and keep it genre-appropriate. Did the .30 cal ever get C-rat cans attached to it to aid in feeding the way they did with the M60? I don't think I've ever seen it, so my guess is "probably not"?

The 1919 was designed as a complete unit I dont think it had those problems.

The M60 was a case of how do we take the MG-42 and some of the MG-34 and make it our own.

In the second case it was mix and match with the problems that resulted.

I loved the E3 and never expereinced any feed issues with it but it was not my primary, any time I played with it I was doing just that playing.

The M60 was a case of how do we take the MG-42 and some of the MG-34 and make it our own.

I loved the E3 and never expereinced any feed issues with it but it was not my primary, any time I played with it I was doing just that playing.
Wonder if some of those problems were made worse by the new M13 links. But maybe not; the FN MAG and its kids seem to eat them just fine.

AR60E3 that I built. ELCAN M249 sight.

Reactions: camocorvette