• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

far from good/ good from far

elk addict

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2012
bozeangeles, mt
i'm guessing it's me...

i had a hard time getting my shit together today. couldn't seem to get groups inside 2" at 100 with my 270 (ruger m77 with a new muzzle break, bedded in a ross featherweight thumbhole stock).
my scope has some stickiness in the turrets- poi would keep drifting 2 or 3 shots after any adjustment (wasted 15 shots chasing zero!). i quit clicking when i had it close, but i still don't know if it's "zeroed". i was about to put the gun away in frustration, so i started shooting at golf balls with 22's.
i had so much fun launching golf balls i decided to shoot a few more rounds through the 270.
there was a rock on the hill east of me (809 yards) that was looking at me funny, so i punched some info into isnipe & came up with a hold for 5.5 mils up & .3 left. first shot was ~4" high, so i overcompensated (holding, not dialing) & missed low by 6". then i hit it center mass twice & caught the left edge once. after grinning like a kid & giggling for a few minutes, i realized i was out of the hsm 150's, and all i could find were 2 140 sst hornadys that had been rolling around on the floor of the truck all winter. i held the same & missed low ~12", then held at 5.75 mils up & hit with the second one.
all together, i had 3 shots on the 809 yard rock (~2' tall x 2 1/2' wide) inside a 7" circle, one about a foot & a half left, and 3 misses. after getting frustrated at 100, i couldn't believe how good i felt about the shots at 809- 2+ moa at 800 just doesn't seem to suck as much as 2" at 100 for some stoopid reason.
suddenly i'm not very interested in groups at 100. rocks at 800 are WAAAY more fun.
i'm kinda wet behind the ears with longer ranges, so i'm not sure how serious i should take any of this. is there any reason for me to fuss with the gun? or should i just shut up & shoot a few hundred rounds before i do anything?

Re: far from good/ good from far

uhhh, if it's a Cabelas scope toss it, if not, toss it anyway. Lay some coin down for something a bit better.

Had a Cabelas POS that when adjusting the eye piece focus the reticule orbited...something!
Same deal, if I left it alone no problem. It sits collecting dust on a shelf.

N

Re: far from good/ good from far

I took my Cabelas scope, cut off a piece of PVC pipe (at eye relief length), stuck it over the eye piece with a little epoxy & gave it to my 3 yo son for a field telescope for lookin at stuff. He get's much more enjoyment from it than I ever did.