• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Fare thee well S-Tac 2.5-17.5x56 I hardly knew ye

dasundas

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2018
That's right no shite. Goodbye sayonara adios take a hike hit the bricks & don't let that screen door catch ya arse on the way out. After a few short years the S-Tac 2.5-17.5X56 is 86'd terminated put out to pasture vamoose as the wind drop the curtain no call again FIN!

I suspected the no frills IR4A reticle might get the boot, but not the rest. Too close in price/mag range to the evah popular SIII 6-24X50, 3-16X42 and 4-20X50 I suppose w/the more affordable S-Tac 3-16x42 or 4-20x50 waiting in the wings. Yet, I find it intriguing that the one line of S-Tac gettin' the ax was also the only one w/ED. I can sorta see the quandary of price diff w/other S-tac, yet still being MIP. Now, harmony presides in S-Tac world w/no putting on airs about sick glass nor sneaking in MIJ tiki hut after hours.

The only other being offered in ED besides the SV now is the SIII Competition 45X45ED. Regardless, it helps explain how I managed to come across a new S-Tac 2.5-17.5x56 for a bit over 6 bills. As a rule I only qualify for the schmuck discount. I bit not realizing the last roundup was already riding off into the sunset.

Vaya con dios muchachos

Que pasiones te dominan mi compadre ? I guess you in the right place... welcome !

I feel like these scopes never fit in the US scope market - SFP, huge objective, illumination, hunting reticles, and ED glass are perfect for low light or night time hunting. If it was FFP and had a 44mm or 50mm objective to cut the weight a bit, it might have fit well as a crossover hunting/tactical scope. As is? It's an answer to question few people asked.

The rumored 4-20x S-TAC FFP will fit the market better, especially if it gets the SV 4.5-24xs tree reticle.

Larger glass, all other things being equal, will resolve more than smaller diameter at penalty you mentioned of weight. Everything is a compromise und as the colloquials say, "There ain't no free lunch".

ED glass is primarily employed to reduce chromatic aberration which is much more annoying/prevelant in daytime. Sure, the large objective makes for a fat exit pupil that helps at dusk/dawn/shadows/night. As would an 11 setting dot illumination.

Yes, bringing the various colour waves together at or closer to the same point will help in resolution. Which does nothing much for you at night unless you're looking at the moon or streetlights/neon signs, etc, which would also benefit from reduction of CA.

If the rumoured 4-20 has ED it would fit the massive SIII line more from price & resolution. I agree some reticles, as the German #4, are better suited for hunting. As well w/large posts easier to see in low light IR notwithstanding.

ETA: As it stands the STAC line consists of: (2) 10x32, (2) 3-18x42 & (2) 4-20x50 w/no claim of special/superior glass. Placing them firmly below the SIII models in essence taking up the spot the SII Big Sky, disc. 2017, previously occupied. Whether the optic quality is the same or better I've no knowledge. It isn't on par w/SIII & if ED lenses were used in the 2.5-17.5x56 the existing crop would fall well short of it in resolution.

Currently they offer a SIII 6-24x50 in FFP. Your choice of MOA or MH though you could special order one of their other reticles as I understand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ruggedtouch
Dood I’ve never posted to a single post though I have wanted to during the great (Buddy) debacle however you need to Lay off the CRACK dood. And Chilax. Pleas tell me you don’t know (Buddy).

Reactions: Bender
QF takes a novel approach. Regardless of, "High quality Germany glass" I didn't notice any FOV figures.

What is the novel approach of the QF? I assume QF is the "Quigley Ford" that Soulezoo mentioned? I would like to learn more. How can a metal tube with glass on both ends be any more novel than another metal tube with glass on both ends? You said S-Tac in the original post. Is that a Sightron or SSWA or some other company?

1543560610894.png

HE'S BACKKKKKKK.......LOL

Reactions: MtnCreek
What I find novel is tailoring/scaling the reticle to one round/boolit/load. I find the Leatherwood ART especially quaint. You do not wish to learn 'more' though if you should perhaps a Google machine from Santa is in your future.

'He's back'.
Were I you I'd refrain from playin' me hunches lad. Ya swingin' for the bleachers and as much as I enjoy the breeze you cannot hit your physic arse w/both 'ands.
---
... As is? It's an answer to question few people asked.

The rumored 4-20x S-TAC FFP will fit the market better, especially if it gets the SV 4.5-24xs tree reticle.

Perhaps you're correct. I see little else close to the configuration save the Swarovski Z8i 2.3-18x56 naturally w/proper 4A reticle. Also in 2-16x50 & 1.7-13.3x42. I think ED glass helps resolution, more than anything else, by holding chromatic aberration at bay. More of a daylight usage though your point on 56mm for low light is duly noted. I like a low power for wide FOV. If not for price the Z8i 1.7-13.3x42 would be a welcome addition.

2017 saw the Stac 1-6x24 put out to pasture w/2.5-17.5x56 gettin' the boot in 2018. The three left are very modest scopes <4 bills. The SIII is their bread n butter and now that they've gutted the Stac line it would seem destined to stay on the third rung and anything added the same. All speculation.

The 2.5-17.5x56 seems to be as close as I can find, in budget, w/exception of the GEN II PST 3-15x44. Not crazy about the little illuminated crosshair preferring dot, but for 3X 41.2' is a wide view. 5x erectors are easy enough to find, but in a low magnification configuration they tend to run out of room for me. A 6x erector allows for 2.5-15 where a 7x only stretches to 2.1-15. The difference as the variable magnification increases, 3-15/4-20/5-25 is much more obvious.

The S-tac 2.5-17.5x56 isn't me dream scope. The Illuminated reticle falls under the 2yr electronic warranty which doesn't exactly instill confidence. When debuted in 2014, prior to the SV series, it came w/tactical turrets weighing a claimed 30.6oz. The 4A reticle was offered in 2015 w/low profile turrets. No change in weight was ever listed. According to budget physician beam scale it comes in at 28oz. The GEN II PST 3-15x44 comes in at 28.1oz.

The Stac is 0.2" longer w/both utilizing 30mm tubes. 75/40MOA Vs, 80/40MOA. The PST has more FOV which was attractive. The dealio that has me stumped is that the PST weighs 28.1oz. The 26009 Stac sporting low profile turrets, 0.2 less length w/12mm more of a doublet objective weighs 28oz. I realize it's an apples to oranges comparison, but I'd have thought the 12mm extra glass would more than compensate for the two taller tactical turrets & extra 0.2" in length.

That's all you youse got, gonna run w/caps lock, poorly structured sentences und cheesy JPG? Trey, trey chic at recess for prepubescent drama queens longing for high school and their first bra .

At least none ever accused youse of being one of the sharper knives in the drawer. No expectation no disappointment, eh mates?

That's all you youse got, gonna run w/caps lock, poorly structured sentences und cheesy JPG? Trey, trey chic at recess for prepubescent drama queens longing for high school and their first bra .

At least none ever accused youse of being one of the sharper knives in the drawer. No expectation no disappointment, eh mates?

Damn bro your so worked up your keyboard is stuttering, we were just goofing around with you.
Relax

For starters I ain't ya bro.

This/that is me way of goofin' about ...[insert smiley face here >________].

Reactions: XLR308
Wonderful!

Thanks for reminding me that in reaching for the brass ring, through sweat, labour, disappointment & heartache finally at long last I've scaled the peak of remedial.

Me mum would be proud of 'er lad..

Do you have anything to add concerning the aforementioned 2.5-17.5x56 or are you lonely cruisin' for chatmates?

I just don't have it in me to try and decider what has been previously layed out, I've actually read through it twice and it just gave me a head ache.

Let's try a different approach and see if possibly you can get the answers your after.

What type of shooting discipline are you wanting the optic for ?

What type of reticle would be best suited for your needs ?

Caliber and rifle specs will help with determining the first two.

By keeping it more to the point you will get better answers to your questions,