• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fast burning, large grain powder like Trail Boss

TexasHaag

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2022
Killeen Texas
Looking for something equivalent to Trail Boss for loading an AR .308 1:10 20" Subsonic. I don't have much experience with the fast burning powders like Trail Boss. I know it is bulky a powder.... is there something out there that works well. I would like to use Lapua 200gr FMJ Subs, or Lapua 220gr FMJBT, these are what I use in my 300BO...
thanks in advance...
texashaag

I use IMR SR 4759. It has been discontinued but you might find it. It was a pistol black powder substitute like trail boss. I found it to produce tighter groups.

David

Is this what you use in AR .308.... does it full cycle? what are the specs on your loads?
No, I use 1680 in my AR-15 Blackout and Trail Boss in a .308 bolt gun. Accurate 5744 is also a good powder and very fast burning.

A1680 is a fine ball powder fyi so if you’re trying to fill the case not the best choice. I’ve read where when it spreads out that much it’s inconsistent. I have no personal experience except in 300 Blk, which it’s incredible for super and subs.

I've been using n320 and n330 for 300 BO bolt loads with good results. Might be an option in 308.