• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fast twist 25-06 speeds with Berger 133?

Dogsniper

Minuteman
  • Jul 25, 2014
    Wyoming
    I am looking to rebarrel an old gun.
    Would I get the same speeds as a 25prc if I necked down Lapua brass?
    Thanks.

Tagging in. I've always wanted a quarter bore, but then I see the ballistics discussed in these forums and it pushes me away. Maybe today is the day I'll change my mind.

I assume you mean 25-06? Its a smaller case, no reason to expect the same velocities as a PRC case. If you want one though, build it.

I am looking to rebarrel an old gun.
    Would I get the same speeds as a 25prc if I necked down Lapua brass?
    Thanks.
    If you are asking about a necking down a 6.5 PRC, a 25-06 is about the same.

If you asking thinking 300 PRC, a 25-06 will be about 30 grains short on powder capacity.

I'd do an Ackley version if that's what you are wanting to try

Reactions: jmw
    I assume you mean 25-06? Its a smaller case, no reason to expect the same velocities as a PRC case. If you want one though, build it.
    I was getting 3600 fps with 100 smk and rl22
    So I was thinking I should be able to get3200-3300 fps with 133’s Lapua 30-06 brass necked down was my thought.
    Guess I should just do the prc.

I was getting 3600 fps with 100 smk and rl22
    So I was thinking I should be able to get3200-3300 fps with 133’s Lapua 30-06 brass necked down was my thought.
    Guess I should just do the prc.
    Ive chambered a handfull of 25 PRC’s, and they just touch 3200 with a 133 berger in a 24” barrel. The 25-06 has about 5% less capacity, so it would be just a tad slower.

I do like ackleys. The point is I wouldn’t have to buy new dies etc.

Have your dies hit with the reamer...

My 25-06 115s are going 3300 with a well above book compressed load of retumbo. Book pressure was low, they just don't like hearing the powder crunch.

I've had aces, Bergers, and 143eldm all sitting on the bench. Just need to get to testing.