• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fast Twist .270 Winchester

RedDirtRifleman

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2014
Has anybody here got any experience with fast (1:8.5 or faster) twist .270 Winchester barrels? Is there a downside to using a twist that fast if I do intend to use heavy bullets at least some of the time?

Context for the question: I have a Savage 116 in .270 that I really enjoy, but the sporter profile barrel is way too skinny to thread the muzzle for a suppressor unless I chop it down to 18-20”, and I think that would be negating the velocity advantage of a long action cartridge (if I’m wrong here please tell me). So I was looking at custom barrels and I saw that many barrel makers have .277” barrels available with 1:9, 8,5, 8, and 7 twists. Most of my research shows some people like the 1:9 for 165-180 grain bullets (mostly Bergers and Woodleighs) but few people online have talked about anything faster than that. Right now it’s a great whitetail and capable elk rifle, but maybe I can improve the big game capabilities if I can push bigger bullets at the same time as getting my suppressor.

Yes I realize that .270 is pretty obsolescent in the days of 6.5 PRC and other modern chamberings, but I’ve got an emotional connection to it. It was the first rifle I bought myself. I love Jack O’Connor stories. If none of these ideas work out I’m just gonna get a .280 AI barrel for it and give it to my dad since he’s always wanted a .280 AI, and I’ll get myself a different .270 down the line.

Last edited:
Reactions: markwente
Man!!! I'd love to hear what others have to say about this. I too, really enjoy and like shooting a .270 for deer hunting. Ever since I was a little kid, that's what I shot. I now have a 6.5 creed but my .270 Is still there. My dad and brother in law shoot .270 as well. Many might say to just go with a 30-06 or a .280 as they have way better bullet selection. Honestly though, I'd really like to see a .270 with heavies. Hopefully people with great insight can comment!

Man!!! I'd love to hear what others have to say about this. I too, really enjoy and like shooting a .270 for deer hunting. Ever since I was a little kid, that's what I shot. I now have a 6.5 creed but my .270 Is still there. My dad and brother in law shoot .270 as well. Many might say to just go with a 30-06 or a .280 as they have way better bullet selection. Honestly though, I'd really like to see a .270 with heavies. Hopefully people with great insight can comment!

Yeah, bullet selection isn’t great, but it’s better than it was in 2015. I’m glad to see someone else enthusiastic about this topic.

Reactions: stello1001
The 270 WIN might not be the hot flavor of the day but I don't feel its obsolete. Between the loaded ammo like Hornady 140SST Superformance, Hornady 145 Precision Hunter, Federal 150 fusion and hand loading Berger 140 VLDH I figure that covers a lot of hunting options. Not much recoil, maybe more than 6.5C, won't eat out barrels like the hot 6.5's and maybe not as sexy as 280AI but very capable. Sat in a duck blind with another hunter and conversation came around to big game rifles and he put out that the 270 was not an accurate round. This just after I developed a .3 load with little effort. Since that conversation have acquired 3 more 270's that shoot at least one of the factory loadings sub MOA. last month at the range a very competent shooter put out that 270 can't shoot to 1000 yds because can't stay above 12##fps, I don't think thats the case for the above 140/145's. Curious to see where this thread goes.

I think that .270 Win is one of the classic hunting cartridges for a reason... it just flat works for the vast majority of North American game. It certainly has an older design to the case, but neither feeding nor extraction tend to be issues for that very reason.

I am in the parts collecting phase of a future build in a fast-twist 270 WSM, but the main reason for that choice in chambering is that I am using a Tikka action which is pretty limited in terms of COAL for long action cartridges... and I REALLY want to use the Berger 170s.

Reactions: stello1001
I also believe .270 is good for most things I’ll ever hunt. Whitetail, elk, mayyyybe moose. Moose are one reason I’m interested in the possibility of the really heavy bullets. But I don’t know if I’ll ever actually do that hunt.

Maybe I’d be better served by just chopping my factory barrel back to where I can stick a can on it, but I don’t have enough information yet.

I also believe .270 is good for most things I’ll ever hunt. Whitetail, elk, mayyyybe moose. Moose are one reason I’m interested in the possibility of the really heavy bullets. But I don’t know if I’ll ever actually do that hunt.

Maybe I’d be better served by just chopping my factory barrel back to where I can stick a can on it, but I don’t have enough information yet.

I know it doesn't help answer the fast twist, heavy bullet question, but for anyone looking to shoot the 270 Win long range the Berger 130gr hybrid hunter really brings out the performance of the old 270 win. Nothing beats it in a 1 in 10 twist barrel.

Can't help with fast twist .270 barrel info - don't think many people will have much experience on that but I'd certainly be interested.

I don't really get the shut out on .270. The .270 Win when I (as a novice) compare the charts side by side with the "hot" "favorites" out there, like the 6.5 Creed, it out performs them in usually every category. Drop, wind, energy, and velocity - usually wins across the board. While you can see that the 6.5 is ballistically better if both weighed the same and had the same muzzle velocity, if you compare most factory loads for each, you will see the 270 wins in usually every metric. The 6.5 starts to catch up/pass the 270 in velocity around 800 yards, however both end up at splitting hairs difference for the 1000 yard mark. This isn't even factoring in what's possible with good 270 hand loads (Or good 6.5 hand loads, I get it). While I'm sure there are massive advantages to the 6.5 for lots of intermediate/advanced shooters/PRS guys etc., for the guy like me who hunts whitetail in November and goes to the range when I'm bored, I think the .270 is very tough to beat.

I use a 8t 270 barrel.The lightest I have tried were cutting edge 140gr and 150gr ABLR the 150’s were doing around 3400fps and shoot really well out of my 27 nosler.
Can’t help you with the 130’s but in other fast twist scenarios the Nosler BT’s hold up pretty good being spun hard.

I have a thread going over st long range hunting forum regarding basically the same idea. I have a big soft spot in my heart for the .277 cal rifles mainly the 270. Win. From what I’ve gathered a 270. AI on a fast twist barrel can push the 165 matrix to 170 Berger’s in the 3000 FPS mark. Many are sitting st an accuracy node between 3000-3050fps. With a bc of .662 at 3000 FPS you are keeping up with some heavy pills in the 7mm and blowing the 6.5mm’s out of the water. A 270. Wsm is another great one pushing the heavies in the 3000 FPS mark, and then of course the Sherman and Sherman short which both slide right in around the 3050 FPS mark as well! Something to consider! The 270. Ai would be nice, able to shoot factory to fire form or in a pinch, gaining a good amount of velocity when loading your own withthe 170’s.

I would scrap the idea of chopping down to 18-20” and gather a new fast twist 26”Bbl. the 270. Win is sometimes forgotten about but it truly is a fantastic hunting cartridge. We hunt moose every year and since my dad was 18 he’s carried a 270. Win for moose, and he was the one to bring home the bull this year. 1 shot, 150gr nosler partition, 30 yards and piled up!

I just picked up a ruger no.1 B in 270. Shot it saturday...it was cold, i was in an uncomfortable position, and i was in a hurry. Zeroed it for 100, then tried to shoot a quick group. I pulled the third shot 1/2”...first two putnear went through the sale hole. When it warms up here, and i can get prone behind the gun off of bags, we will see what she can do.

coincidently, i was pondering the same thing regarding twist and the effects it would have.

I have a thread going over st long range hunting forum regarding basically the same idea. I have a big soft spot in my heart for the .277 cal rifles mainly the 270. Win. From what I’ve gathered a 270. AI on a fast twist barrel can push the 165 matrix to 170 Berger’s in the 3000 FPS mark. Many are sitting st an accuracy node between 3000-3050fps. With a bc of .662 at 3000 FPS you are keeping up with some heavy pills in the 7mm and blowing the 6.5mm’s out of the water. A 270. Wsm is another great one pushing the heavies in the 3000 FPS mark, and then of course the Sherman and Sherman short which both slide right in around the 3050 FPS mark as well! Something to consider! The 270. Ai would be nice, able to shoot factory to fire form or in a pinch, gaining a good amount of velocity when loading your own withthe 170’s.

I would scrap the idea of chopping down to 18-20” and gather a new fast twist 26”Bbl. the 270. Win is sometimes forgotten about but it truly is a fantastic hunting cartridge. We hunt moose every year and since my dad was 18 he’s carried a 270. Win for moose, and he was the one to bring home the bull this year. 1 shot, 150gr nosler partition, 30 yards and piled up!

Thanks for the tip about your LRH post. It was interesting and gave me some hope, but I admit it seemed mostly people bragging about muzzle velocities with their .277" magnums. If you turn up any more .270 Win specific info I'd love to read it. I'll make an account over there and follow the thread.

Now I'm reading up on X-Caliber and Carbon Six barrels. Want to figure out the lightest 24-26" barrel I can get with a 5/8"-24 thread.