• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Faster or Slower burn rate???

wb00757

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2010
Dallas, Georgia
I (like the rest of the civilized world) am looking for an alternative to H4350... I am currently shooting a 23" .260 rem with a tight match chamber so the 140's are sitting pretty deep.
--Current Load--
Powder = 43.5gr H4350 (E.S. = 3 last time I chrono'd :love:)
Brass = Starline
Bullet = Hornady 140gr BTHP Match
Primer = CCI 200 or BR2
FPS = 2778
COAL = 2.77 (I think)

This is a pretty warm load but it was ~80* when I did load development and went to 44.7gr (2866 FPS) without pressure signs. I am getting loose primer pockets on some of the brass after just 1 firing but I think that's the brass...

I would like to get a little more velocity out of the 140's and I am going to work up a 130 load at the same time. SO, do I want a slower or faster powder? I'm probably over thinking it, but slower might not work because I don't have the barrel length to take advantage of it, and faster might not work because I am already getting pretty high pressure... Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

-Chip

Last edited:
You can probably get better velocity with 4451 and almost definitely more with R16.

Honestly an extra 50-100 FPS doesn’t meow a significant difference.
If your current load is kicking ass then I wouldn’t bother changing

Thanks @Steel head
I wouldn't mess with it but i'm out of H4350.... and can't find more locally. I really want to shoot some Alabama Precision matches this year and want to get out to 1200 with less than my current 11.8 mils (calculated) If possible. I just figured if i'm switching to something more available locally I might as well try to speed up a little. Thank you for your recommendations!

Which would you say is more temp stable between IMR 4451 and RL 16?

They both good.
R16 might be slightly better temp stable

4451 is a bit slower burn than H4350 needing .5 grain to match speed but you can keep stuffing more in.

R16 tends to need less powder but makes speed like R17

I shoot 4064 w 123’s in my 260’s. (Corrected my Typo). 40.5 gr will get 2980 out 26” bbl

Last edited:
Reactions: wb00757
Well RL-16 has completely disappeared around me (north west Atlanta) and 4451 is going for a pretty crazy price the one place I found it. At the end of next week I will be passing by Ft. Oglethorpe and can pick up some Shooters World Long Rifle from North Georgia Reloading. I have read some decent things about it, but does anybody here have any input? I like that if it works out I can get 8lb jugs online for ~$150

Actually I havent seen any results yet but a full case of 6.5 staball with a magnum primer might be the ticket also.
Staball seems to like pretty full case fill to burn well along with a magnum primer.
Try a pound of it working up to see