• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fastest flattest screaming SOB

SSC

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
A buddy wants to build a screaming rifle for running around the ranch. It will mainly be for varmints and small pigs. His only stipulations are it has to be fast as hell and not a bunch of recoil because it will be a lot of off hand shooting with quick follow ups.

Barrel life does not matter
Brass needs to be some what accessible
Yes they will all be hand loads
Rem SA .308 bolt face (currently an old 243) but can always get a new bolt.
Shorter the barrel the better
.22 cal or smaller would be nice so he can put a 22 can on it.

What do you guys think he should build?

Re: Fastest flattest screaming SOB

.22-250AI can be loaded anyway you want it. Over 4000 fps and use .224 cal bullets and thread it 1/2x28 for a can.

Also just plain 22-250 would work as well.

What range are we talking here? cause then you also got .25, 6mm, 6.5mm that could all be loaded over 3000fps if you wanted a bigger heavier bullet.

What about 220 Swift, the king of 22s? Well established and awesome.

By the way, I have one for sale! PM me if interested. It's a Win70 26" Heavy Varmint.

22-250, otherwise I would stick with 243.

.22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer. .378 Weaterby Magnum case necked down to .22. 4600 fps with a 50 grain projectile. Um, sorry about the recoil ...
laugh.gif

http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=173

poa2.jpg

Ya the light factor with no recoil eliminates the 6.5x284 LOL

I'd vote (and I hate to say this) 22-250 or a .243

This thing gets my vote, that's badass!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer. .378 Weaterby Magnum case necked down to .22. 4600 fps with a 50 grain projectile. Um, sorry about the recoil ...
laugh.gif

poa2.jpg
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.204----cheap and easy to find.

I run factory 40gr VMAX with a 300yd zero....have NO problems hitting stuff from 20ft to 400yds. Velocity is around 3950fps...less recoil than .223...love it on pdogs, coyotes and other small game critters!

Oops! Missed the bolt face criteria...my bad...I'd still buy one though!
wink.gif
</div></div>

Yep!!! .204 and he will love it!!! Its fast and flat to 300 yards!!! Many coyotes have fallen to mine!!!

+3 on the .204 I love mine. It's cheap to reload and shoot's awesome with berger 35 grain's.

KT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer. .378 Weaterby Magnum case necked down to .22. 4600 fps with a 50 grain projectile. Um, sorry about the recoil ...
laugh.gif

poa2.jpg
</div></div>

WTF?! TWICE as much powder as bullet weight?! Thats awesome.

But in the same vein: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/09/08/50-bmg-necked-down-to-22/

22-243
22-243AI

22 CHeetah

22-250 AI

No fire forming straight 22-250 or 220 Swift, with 22-250 having more factory ammo if he got in pinch.

the 223 Winchester super short magnum is a barrel burning SOB that is ugly as heck. It will push a 40gr V-MAX at 4600+

I am with McCourt

22 CHeetah
or the 6mm SLR necked down to 22 which is close to the CHeetah
22/47 the 6.5/47 lapua necked down to22

next would be a 6/284

22-243 Middlestead.

Buy your barrels buy the bunch
laugh.gif

Ditto with McCourt

22-250, 243, 22-250 AI, 22 Cheetah

Run it with a twist fast enough to handle medium weight game bullets in either bore and you'll have very fast, very flat and capable of reasonable long range work too.

A 22-250 with 75 class coming from a 9 twist will also allow running factory ammo with 40-50gr bullets and they won't explode coming out of the muzzle.

Gotta vote for 22-250AI. I have one and love it.

Why not just a 243 or 243 AI with the new 105 Hybrid from Berger? A standard 243 will run them 3200+ out of a 26 inch barrel. Pretty dang flat, and will kill anything you want to shoot at.

I'll just throw it out cause it hasn't been said yet (not even sure if I would choose it): 257 Roberts (or AI). Can throw a 60 gr varmint bullet at 3800 fps or a more deer suitable 115 grain bullet at around 2800 fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H_Cracka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
12b.jpg
</div></div>

I want. Is that a real cartridge or a joke?

I run 50 grain ballistic tips through my .22-250 at roughly 3,950 fps, and this has proved to be an excellent combination for riding around in the truck. I have killed several whitetail and coyotes and a ton of hogs and other varmints out of the truck with this combination. I sighted mine in for 200 yards and very rarely do I have to correct for elevation when shooting out of the truck.

You're overlooking a real winner. The 243 win should be able to run the 55gr bullets to 3800, the 75gr bullets to 3400.

Brass is always available. Easy to load for. Light recoiling.

Forget fireforming for a play gun(this coming from someone who is a huge Ackley fan)

I think I would be lazy and go 243...

.22-.243 middlestead

.22x.284

Scary speed.

Can the Swift be done in a SA, aren't these usually built on a LA?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OlsenG_360</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.243 catbird gets my vote</div></div>

+1 But I heard it is a real barrel burner

Vanilla .243 will run the 55gr nosler BT at 4000fps but do not try to run that in a fast twist. It did not survive a 1-7.5 and I had the only .243 shotgun on the ranch that day.

Buddy of mine has a Savage in a non-AI 22-250 that launchs 40 grain V-Maxs at 4,200fps. Smokes crows and hogs like a side show.

The 22-250AI, 22-243AI or 243 CatBird would be hell on wheels. all will go in excess of 4,100 fps and do so in grand fashion

Why???? 308 has killed about everything on the planet. Can find it everywhere!!!

I have fallen in love with my 243 using varmint bullets, My current pet load is a 70grn NBT over IMR 4064 that gets to 3700 fps. I use a 200 yard zero and my point blank distance is almost 300 yards.

DESTROYS pigeon sized targets, I shot a Grey fox with it and it left an exit hole the size of a basketball.

You can push the 55grn slugs to 4100fps, but the slightly heavier 70 and 75s are much better in the wind.

22-250 is a solid choice, 40 grain slugs to over 4000 fps is common.

204 ruger is a very good choice, my buddy has a VLS that runs 39 blitzkings to 3700+, but sucks in the wind past 250-300. That rifle is the very reason I went 243, a 10 twist would be about ideal for the small bullets.

Add an AI to either would be easy and would make them scream even more, Ive heard barrel lifes range from 1200 to 1500 rounds.

20br or 204. The br is fast and accurate. Either will shoot 32 grain vmax 4000 fps. 40 grain vmax is ballistically awesome out of either

Personally I would stay with something I could just go buy a box of ammo for it I needed it. .22-250 or .220 Swift. My Swift loaded with heavier 60 gr. bullets at a moderate load of about 3600-3700 fps does a good job even on medium to large pigs.
If you are talking about a .22 RF can I don't know if it will be compatible with either of these calibers.

I would do 22-250 if the pigs are bigger and he wants more powder, or for lower cost and lower recoil, 204.

im with the .243 crowd as well light bullets screaming or the 22-243ai for incredible speed.

18" .22-250 and run a can