• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fasting to reset metabolism

WPG

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2002
USA
Gents,

I have been reading some opinions on this. Can anyone in the know provide solid research?

Thanks

Re: Fasting to reset metabolism

WPG,

This is a big question with variables based on the type of fast your asking about. As far as fasting resetting a metabolic set point... well that is not going to happen. If a metabolism slows it is due mostly to hormonal regulatory factors and a decrease in two hormones, thyroid and leptin. I don't want this to turn into a science class but bottom line is the only want to return thyroid and leptin to baseline (pre drop) levels is through an increase in caloric intake.

Now, if your asking about fasting in order to prime a metabolism for a dietary change and caloric reduction then the answer is.... perhaps. There is little scientific evidence to suggest the practice works; however, I have used this tactic myself to start diet phases (retired pro bodybuilder) and for some of my clients. Every time I used the practice the diet went much smoother with great fat loss and muscle retention.

If your interested in any information you can PM me and I would be willing to send you some information and a copy of the article I wrote on baseline dieting for Natural Physique a few years back.

Sully

Well I'm no expert but my view is fasting is not good for the body. The body needs nutrients to function properly and fasting is preventing the body from getting what it needs. I've always found more/less activity regulates metabolism better, my body adapts to my level of physical activity pretty quick.

Bottom line is - it works. Your body will act one way during the first 3 days, then transition to another after that.

Most don't have the will power to go through it, or anything resembling hunger for an hour or two, let alone 3 days.

Safety-wise, if you are reasonably healthy with no major defects or diseases going this route is completely safe. Our ancestors cycled through this many times routinely.

Don't plan on getting a lot of sleep or being highly productive with your brain during the 3 days it takes your body to switch over to fat burning mode.

you dont need to fast to get your body into fat burning mode or ketosis. just eliminating the carbs and going protein for a week or so will do it as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch Engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you dont need to fast to get your body into fat burning mode or ketosis. just eliminating the carbs and going protein for a week or so will do it as well. </div></div>

Unless of course you eat too much protein and your body just converts it to glucose through gluconeogenesis.

It might be easier to get into ketosis with a high fat diet like Atkins/Kekwick fat fast.

There are lots of variations of these diets out there right now.

when you are steadly in a calorie defecit your body will slow the metabolism down as a safety measure against burning to many calories and starving this is whay schedualed "refeed" or "cheat" meals/days are incorperated into a well planned diet stragity to let the body know that you arn't gonna starv to death.

A true Ketogenic diet requires you to eat about half of your daily calories from fat , a deit very high in protein say 1.5g per pound of body weight and moderatly low in fat will not keep you in ketosis , you will drop into ketosis for maybe a day then you will bunce back out of it , this is because the body is buring off more body fat and protein for fuel that the dietary fat.

I don't suggest that anybody thats not trying to quickly drop alot of weight get on any kind of "diet" , get a healthy new eating lifestyle planned out where you are making gains toward your goal then make small weekly diets then a week back on the new plan , it will keep the body guessing and make life much easier.

Their are many differant ways to figure out your healthy lifestyle and ways to make it work for you. I train competitive body builders , womens figure and physique competitors , several athletes from differant sports and everybody has unique needs both dietary and schedualing wise , looking up some cookie cutter plan and trying to for your lifestyle to adapt to it is setting yourself up for failure.

If anybody ever needs and help planning anything out or figuring foods out , training help don't hesitate to shoot me a PM as id be happy to help you out and give you some direction

I fast from time to time right before I go on a diet program, I own a restaurant which makes it hard to loose weight working 90hrs a week around food. My weight fluctuates a good 20lbs up and down throughout the year. The biggest thing for me is its a major motivator more than anything because I will drop lbs in days right off the bat. Maybe not healthy but whatever.

Change your diet, and get off carbs. I have gone to all fruit, veggies and meat. No Carbs, No sugar etc. The first day, I ate twice as much and I was still hungry, my body was processing it faster. A month later (now) I feel better, lifting results have gone up A LOT, recovery is quicker and I am down 10 pounds already. I watched what I ate before, but still had the carbs in limited supply. I feel that I have reset my metabolism, and its cranking faster now, then it ever has.

At first its hard to give up the good stuff, but after awhile, (Carbs and other unhealthy stuff) don't even sound good.

I wouldn't do anything too extreme without consulting your doctor first. A long fasting cycle can have adverse effects if you are not medically sound for this.