• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fat old cripple checking in...

Daddyusmaximus

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 3, 2020
Hi all. FNG checking in. Third post. Didn't see the intro section at first... Not new to shooting, was in uniform (Army) for 28 years, (both active, and guard) but in various jobs. Been a 19E, 19K, 88M, 11B, 11C, 00E (sorry about that one) but all my shooting was done at close to med range. Even my combat experience (3 tours) was in Iraq, rather than Afghanistan, so again... closer engagement ranges. Hunting at home... Same thing. I live in Indiana. Deer and squirrel are as close as 15 yds in the woods, and I've never shot more than maybe 75 yds.

So... when I decided to get into some precision shooting at longer ranges, this place came highly recommended as a place to learn. I've also been watching a youtube series called "Sniper 101" by Tiborasaurus Rex. I like his videos. He's very in depth with the subject, and I'm looking forward to putting together my own ballistic tables for my rifle.

Now, my rifle. I don't have a lot to spend here, as I'm living on VA disability these days. Got my truck blown out from under me in '05. Going along with the limited income is the high outflow. One kid fresh out of college, the other in her 3rd year, trying to build a CJ7 from the frame up... Basically, same kind of financial problems a lot of people face... I managed to find a Remington 700 in .243 for sale that was in excellent shape, and at a good price. I had bought from this guy before, so I knew his guns to be nice. I jumped on it. Also, in these videos I'm watching, I'm seeing Rex hit with a .243 at 1,000 yds and out. If I can get consistent at 600 with my eyesight, and nerve damage, I'll be happy. Anyway, this is the rifle I've chosen to start with. The only .308 I own is an AR. It's relatively accurate, but not really build for precision. It's a 14" patrol carbine, with a LPVO. Keeping with the budget theme, I have ordered the Magpul Hunter stock for it.

Scope is a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x44 at the moment, but it will not stay. I have a Nikon M308 on my Brazilian Mauser that I really like. I use the "Spot On" app to put in my 7mm Mauser ammo info. Very clear for the money, and the turrets have been accurate enough for the shooting I've done so far with it. Despite Nikon calling it quits, I found a 30mm version of the same scope on Euro Optics, and ordered it. I can do my ballistic tables in MOA to match the turrets, and just use the "Spot On" app with the reticle when I don't need to be so precise. Of course, I've also given thought to a lower safety, some bolt handle work, and rings for the Mauser... but 7x57 ammo is hard to find, and I don't reload.

Anyway, I look forward to sharing, and learning.

My starting point...

yFTJ3AS.jpg

Good hear all that, well put...FNG, lol, thanks (you know) and appreciate your struggles. It all sounds solid as it can be covering your bases and some. Look forward to runnin’ across you in here, Welcome from SC. 🤙

Welcome. A lot of great information and guys here willing to help.