• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fatboy Levitate vs other ball heads

03machstock

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2021
Pennsylvania
Anyone use a fatboy levitate? Looking for a comparison on stability and range of motion vs other big name ball heads. Looks interesting and in theory would be more stable since it’s lower into the tripod than the ones that sit on top. Not sure how much trade of it is with range of motion up and down.

Anyone use a fatboy levitate? Looking for a comparison on stability and range of motion vs other big name ball heads. Looks interesting and in theory would be more stable since it’s lower into the tripod than the ones that sit on top. Not sure how much trade of it is with range of motion up and down.

The levitate is a leveling base not a ball head. There's plenty of others brand leveling that sit as low and other that sit higher. Just depends on your needs. RRS has leveling bases that sit down in the bowl and others that sit on top, for example.

And they all have fairly close to the same amount of degree movement.

The Fatboy is priced in the same range as the RRS Series 3 leveling base. My rule of thumb is if I'm already in RRS price range, I just buy RRS.

The levitate is a leveling base not a ball head. There's plenty of others brand leveling that sit as low and other that sit higher. Just depends on your needs. RRS has leveling bases that sit down in the bowl and others that sit on top, for example.

And they all have fairly close to the same amount of degree movement.

The Fatboy is priced in the same range as the RRS Series 3 leveling base. My rule of thumb is if I'm already in RRS price range, I just buy RRS.
Thanks for the info! I didn’t realize they were 2 different things, we can probably just delete this thread now and I can go educate myself on ball heads vs leveling bases.