• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fatboy tripod opinions (vs RRS?)

Which model of RRS tripods is everyone referring to? I see quite a few on there site (TVC/TFC/Ascend). The TVC and TFC are both followed by numbers (i.e 24 or 24L), so I am not sure which model of tripod it is that everyone is recommending.

Asking because I've found a TVC-33 local to me and the seller wants $750 for it. No ball head, looks brand new, was used lightly for photography. Good model/good deal? And if not, what is the ideal "do it all" RRS tripod?

Thanks!

Which model of RRS tripods is everyone referring to? I see quite a few on there site (TVC/TFC/Ascend). The TVC and TFC are both followed by numbers (i.e 24 or 24L), so I am not sure which model of tripod it is that everyone is recommending.

Asking because I've found a TVC-33 local to me and the seller wants $750 for it. No ball head, looks brand new, was used lightly for photography. Good model/good deal? And if not, what is the ideal "do it all" RRS tripod?

Thanks!
  • First letter – T for tripod
  • Second letter – V for Versa series tripod with interchangeable apex, F for tripods with a fixed apex or Q for tripods with a built-in quick-column. (Apex versions explained in greater detail later)
  • Third letter – C for carbon fibre or A for aluminum
  • Hyphen – Just because
  • First number – Indicates tripod series – 1, 2, 3 or 4. This has some correlation with capacity, but also as a way to differentiate top leg diameter, and a way to describe accessories. eg. A 3-Series leveling base is obviously designed to be used on 3-Series tripods.
  • Second number – The number of leg sections – 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5.
  • Final letter (optional) – S for Short, L for Long, G for Ground or i for Inverted. These difference will become obvious as we discuss the tripods and you see the specifications in the table below.
  • Ascend-14 Series – BHindicates a model that includes a built-in ball head. PL indicates a model that just has a ball head platform
I run a tfc24L

• First letter – T for tripod
  • Second letter – V for Versa series tripod with interchangeable apex, F for tripods with a fixed apex or Q for tripods with a built-in quick-column. (Apex versions explained in greater detail later)
  • Third letter – C for carbon fibre or A for aluminum
  • Hyphen – Just because
  • First number – Indicates tripod series – 1, 2, 3 or 4. This has some correlation with capacity, but also as a way to differentiate top leg diameter, and a way to describe accessories. eg. A 3-Series leveling base is obviously designed to be used on 3-Series tripods.
  • Second number – The number of leg sections – 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5.
  • Final letter (optional) – S for Short, L for Long, G for Ground or i for Inverted. These difference will become obvious as we discuss the tripods and you see the specifications in the table below.
  • Ascend-14 Series – BHindicates a model that includes a built-in ball head. PL indicates a model that just has a ball head platform
I run a tfc24L
Thanks!