• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Faulty Timney??

WRENCHHEAD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2005
arcadia, CA.
just got a timney in and installed it. problem is the firing pin is not held back as far as with the stock trigger. the gun is a plain jane 700 and not a custom action.

is this normal on the timneys? or do i need the 510u sear?

this is the rifle in the cocked ready position.

005-1.jpg

Re: Faulty Timney??

Contact timney. They sent me a new part to fix that. I was able to do it myself.

just got off the phone with them and they are sending out a longer sear to me. i wonder why the new triggers aren't coming out from factory with them..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRENCHHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i wonder why the new triggers aren't coming out from factory with them.. </div></div>Because the problem doesnt lie with the trigger ,but rather the inconsistencies of remington actions and parts. You really ought to change the title of your post as there is nothing wrong with the trigger. I hate it when people post titles like this, you have no idea how many people that dont know any better and just look at the title and go and tell someone they saw something about faulty Timney triggers. People on here are always doing this when 99% of time it is user error or a problem not even related to the thing they are unknowingly bashing. Your post isnt quite as bad as some since you did put the question marks.

This is the internet though and thousands and thousands of people see this stuff. Think about it, if you were thinking about getting a timney trigger and googled it this post would come up. A lot of people wouldnt actually read the post ,but rather just skim there google search and see "FAULTY TIMNEY".

Think if that were your company. How would you feel?

I really am not trying to tell you how to do things ,but rather think things through a little more.

relax there hard charger... true it can be inconsistency on remingtons part. but how are are factory trigger groups able to fit from action to action? think about that.

they are made to fit within a certain tolerence. whether the cocking cam is towards the front or rear.

if a longer sear came with the 510 it would work in guns like mines more readily.

I believe the timney trigger sits lower and has some other dimensional difference than a standard remington or even other after market triggers do. I had this same problem with a Defiance action, and timney being the great company they are, they sent me a different sear. The gun works now, but timney is the only aftermarket or factory trigger that will not work with the Defiance actions. My belief is that the timney triggers sit lower, and therefore the sear doesn't engage the striker at the same height, resulting in the striker being further forward than on any other trigger. In my action this is still the case even with the longer sear... I will still run the timney over the X-Mark, but there is a definate difference.

Dave

UPDATE!
i recieved my replacement sear today and the firing pin/ cocking piece lock back in the proper position. pull weight was not effected from compressing the FP spring a bit more.

the replacement sear has the same "hunch back" profile as the factory sear where it interfaces with the cocking piece.

pic: old sear in front, new sear in back

004.jpg

I may need the longer sear too. Just got my Stiller TAC-300 LA out and running. This morning I had numerous failure to fires and it appears the firing pin is not striking the primer hard enough. I've read a couple posts on here about the longer sear fixing the issue. I will contact Timney and get'r fixed up. I guess if you're running a Defiance or Stiller you can order the trigger with the longer sear (510-U)? Anyway I'll share what I learn.

installed a new Timney 510-U, flat trigger and my TAC 300 worked for 50 rounds. Looks like that longer sear was my issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GasLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I had this same problem with a Defiance action, and timney being the great company they are, they sent me a different sear. The gun works now, but timney is the only aftermarket or factory trigger that will not work with the Defiance actions.

Dave </div></div>

Dave,
was the longer sear a 100% fix in your Defiance action?
I'm about to buy one for mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GasLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I had this same problem with a Defiance action, and timney being the great company they are, they sent me a different sear. The gun works now, but timney is the only aftermarket or factory trigger that will not work with the Defiance actions.

Dave </div></div>

Dave,
was the longer sear a 100% fix in your Defiance action?
I'm about to buy one for mine.</div></div>

I'm pretty sure the longer sear from Timney is free, so call them and try it.

Thanks! I'll ask when I order it.
Do they usually have "tech" people available?

If not, just tell the phone person you've got some questions, Timney will help you out.