• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite .38 Special Target load?

balkandom

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2009
NW Arkansas
Hey folks,

I just got a S&W Target Masterpiece in .38, will be reloading for it. I plan on shooting 3.3gr of 231 behind 148gr wadcutters. Do any of you have any pet loads that you would recommend? Any advice would be appreciated...I've loaded thousands of .44, this is my first foray into something small.

Regards,

Mike

Re: Favorite .38 Special Target load?

I use 3.1- 3.2 grains of Win 231, Fed Primers, Rem brass, Rem 148 grain hollowbase wadcutters. This was my load for about 10 years of PPC , shot great up to 50 yards. very little recoil from any of my pistols model 14's, 686's (4 and 6 inch barrels) and my bull barrel match pistol.

148 grain double ended wadcutter---3.1 grain clays--- Federal primer. They are very clean-very clean. The bullets are made by Berrys MFG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2.5 grains of Bullseye </div></div>

+1

I realize that Bullseye has been around for a long time but it is a very dirty powder and there are much better choices today. Just my 2 cents.

3.0 grains of Titegroup under a 158 grain lead round nose flat point (they speedload easier than full or semi-wadcutters) lit by CCI primers. Add a firm crimp and enjoy the tiny groups.

Clays gives a nice soft recoil and like to run it with lead, but for jacketed, I prefer Blue Dot. If you stick to the low low side of the manual suggested load, recoil (with the blue dot) isn't much at all, despite it being advertised as a magnum powder. My wife really likes softball target loads. Seems Blue Dot is a little dirtier at low pressures and pretty clean at high pressures. YMMV

2.8 grains of Bullseye behind a 148 grain wad cutter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2.8 grains of Bullseye behind a 148 grain wad cutter. </div></div>I use 2.7

Does anyone use a hollow base wadcutter? Are these WC lead or are they copper covered like the Berrys or Rainer?

I've used 2.9-3.1 grains of 231 behind HBWC. If your wadcutters are hollow base, you might not want to go above 3.1.

The 3.1 is the old standby accuracy load for PPC. I've heard of issues where the skirt on the hollow base wadcutters were getting ripped off the bullet in steeper forcing cones with heavier loads. Double end wadcutters should have no issues with higher charges.

Either way a wadcutter at 850 fps is pleasant to shoot. Minimal recoil and good practice. If you follow through is lacking it will show in your groups due to longer dwell time in the barrel.

Good Luck,BLK7