• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Favorite Base?

FNuser

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2009
Becky just called so my uso is on the way, putting it on a howa, same as remington profile what everybody's fav and why.

Re: Favorite Base?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Either Near Mfg or Badger for me. </div></div>

Same here.

Nightforce, Seekins, Badger

How high is the Near compared to the Seekins at the rear?

If you are getting a USO, go with USO base and rings for a nice close fit to the gun. Don't know if you are in So. Cal., but if you are, take your rifle over there and they'll try different base/ring combos on your rifle until you get the set that works best.

Actually, since your rifle is a Howa USO may not have the base for you... I can't remember which Howa action is the same as Remington, but one of them (short or long) is not the same. This is why another poster above asked what Howa action you have.

Long, Wthby Vanguard, Got my tracking # last night.

I had an exceptional experience with a badger 20moa. I can say without reservation that it is tougher than a cinder block.

Anything with a recoil lug. If you spend $120-150 on a base and it does not have a lug machined in, something does not add up. I've used Near, Badger, GG&G, Leopold MK4, EGW, Nightforce and USO. Of those, Nightforce bases are a good value based on what you get. Never used Seekins bases, but they should be right on par with the Nightforces. The USO bases I used to have were quite high dimensionally, this may or may not be a problem if you have a 40mm < objective and low rings still put your scope higher that it needs to be.

Seekings is good stuff. I also have a Ken Ferrel 20 moa base and it is top notch as well. Mine doesnt have the recoil lug built in and im not sure if they make on with it but on a 308 I really dont think I need it.

Seekins Precision bases are GTG. I have Ken Farrell bases as well. And they do make bases with a recoil lug called G-Shock.

Seekins are Aluminum, but mount your scope low, great for mounting those 40 to 44MM objective scopes where they should be.

Farrell bases on the other hand are steel, but are lofty. Using Medium 30mm Burris Sig. Zee Rings which are only .205" high, and Farrell 20 MOA bases, a 50MM objective scope has more than a 3/8" barrel clearance.

Plenty of good bases out there.

Bob