Favorite Carbon Fiber AR Handguard?

bonesaw00001

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2019
Not to sound like a broken record asking for part advice, but is there a go-to carbon fiber AR handguard that most folks swear by? Brigand arms definitely has the most minimalist, basket weave option, but I'm seeing offerings from Faxon, Lancer, etc. Purely aesthetics and personal preference or more to it?

Reactions: Earnhardt

Memberberries

Private
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2018
I don't have any carbon handguards anymore but I have a lancer carbon stock and it's pretty awesome. Used to have an ebay carbon handguard and it was cool but i couldn't fit an adjustable gas block under it.

loveha

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
  • Jul 31, 2018
    NW Lower Michigan
    Have a Faxon 17" that I'm putting up for sale this weekend. No complaints, fits the hand perfect and looks slick. Just going to something shorter.
    Another company is Smoke Composites.

Edit to add, that is why I'm selling the Faxon, is I went with the 10" Smoke as I have one of their buttstocks.

Reactions: bonesaw00001

Ape_Factory

Sergeant of the Hide
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    May 23, 2020
    I have the Smoke Composites buffer tube and grip but have a Coda Evolution carbon hand grip. I really like the overall design and the fact it's six sided instead of round like the smoke and it's very compact. Just has a good feel and is extremely well made and solid. The mounting system has a proprietary barrel nut and then a trunion which fits over it and locates the hand guard in free float format. Cool setup. It's a bit less expensive than some other options but not cheap.

I do have to admit I like the chopped carbon look of the Smoke stuff though. It just looks bad ass.

Smoke grip and buffer tube

I don't have a good photo of the Coda on the gun in its current state but I'll rectify that in the a.m.

Reactions: DustBun and MSTN

loveha

Gunny Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Jul 31, 2018
    NW Lower Michigan
    Since we doing photos.
    20200925_015626.jpg
    20200925_015420.jpg
    300BLK just for subs.
    I do have a photo in the AR15 picture thread of this rifle with the 17" handgaurd with the Sandman Ti. But this is the current setup. 10" Smoke Composites. I would get a Smoke Composites pistol grip if it had a beaver tail.

Edit-Actually have one with an aminal.
    20191122_150003.jpg
    That is the 17" Faxon handgaurd.

Push

Private
    Minuteman
    Dec 13, 2018
    Smoke Composites are great, light and strong. The cutouts provide plenty of grip. I like that you can get them in any length.

sprad05

Private
    Minuteman
    Jan 27, 2020
    I think I need to do some more research or something. I had a CODA given to me, and it won't torque down to the barrel nut. So it just slides all around, so time to try something else!

Earnhardt

Sergeant of the Hide
    Hessian
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Jul 8, 2018
    Langford, what is the stock attachment on the rear of your Smoke stock?
    The flat foot for bag riding
    Brand..model?

Edit...XLR Smoke bag rider...

How does it ride the rear bag?
    I’ve got (2) Smoke stocks on my Xanthos’

Last edited:

Memberberries

Private
    Minuteman
    Aug 8, 2018
    There’s some weird shit going on in that photo(shop).

With as light as The aluminum handguards are out there I’d be hard pressed to buy anything composite.
    Helped a buddy get a rifle down to 4 lbs using composite components and just a burris red dot. That's nearly impossible with aluminum without hacking it up. He has a smoke stock, can't remember who's handguard though, polymer reciever for weight and other various lightweight components.

Quiet6.8

Private
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    May 20, 2017
    My AR10 is ~9lbs with a 20” barrel, Scope, and Silencer. 2aArmament Xanthos receiver set. All aluminum, Ti, and Carbon on that build

Langford

Private Parts
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Sep 24, 2014
    SE MI
    Langford, what is the stock attachment on the rear of your Smoke stock?
    The flat foot for bag riding
    Brand..model?

Edit...XLR Smoke bag rider...

How does it ride the rear bag?
    I’ve got (2) Smoke stocks on my Xanthos’
    Yep, XLR bag rider, it works excellent.

The only thing I didn’t like about the Smoke stock was how it performed on a bag. This cured that 100%.

Reactions: Earnhardt

Ape_Factory

Sergeant of the Hide
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    May 23, 2020
    I think I need to do some more research or something. I had a CODA given to me, and it won't torque down to the barrel nut. So it just slides all around, so time to try something else!
    You can get a new trunnion directly from CODA for like $58 or thereabouts. I like the CODA as it's six sided and has more options to mount accessories to your liking. As much as I like the Smoke's chopped carbon pattern, the CODA seems more realistically functional.

sprad05

Private
    Minuteman
    Jan 27, 2020
    You can get a new trunnion directly from CODA for like $58 or thereabouts. I like the CODA as it's six sided and has more options to mount accessories to your liking. As much as I like the Smoke's chopped carbon pattern, the CODA seems more realistically functional.
    I may have to look into that, a buddy gave it to me and after I installed and torqued the screws down I could spin it with 2 fingertips. I hadn't contacted them to see if i had messed up the installation somehow or what. But I ended up also being gifted a Geissele MK14 rail without a barrel nut. I need more weight on this one since its mainly going to be a competition gun. But if the CODA will actually tighten down, ill put it on my 223

Ape_Factory

Sergeant of the Hide
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    May 23, 2020
    I may have to look into that, a buddy gave it to me and after I installed and torqued the screws down I could spin it with 2 fingertips. I hadn't contacted them to see if i had messed up the installation somehow or what. But I ended up also being gifted a Geissele MK14 rail without a barrel nut. I need more weight on this one since its mainly going to be a competition gun. But if the CODA will actually tighten down, ill put it on my 223
    There should be three main pieces (plus the various screws) for the CODA. Obviously the barrel itself plus the barrel nut and then the trunnion which fits over the barrel nut. I'm assuming you have all three pieces? The trunnion, which indexes the hand guard, won't work on another barrel nut. It's a very precise fitment too so if it's simply rotating on the barrel nut, something is definitely not right!

YammyMonkey

Private
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Jan 12, 2020
    I have a few of the Faxons, one on my work gun that gets knocked around on the side of our MRAP & has been punched through a few windows. No damage over the last 4 years or so and the Mlok slots make mounting a 45° RMR super simple.

It's also the only way I've found to make running a can inside the forend a viable option as it doesn't heat up nearly as much as an aluminum forend.

Unfortunately, they've been out of stock for quite a while, so I don't know if Faxon is going to be changing them like they did with their aluminum forends, or straight discontinuing them.