• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite Collet Puller?

KnowNothing256

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 9, 2020
    I've used an inertial puller for years, works great. However, just loaded up a few dummy rounds for a 22BR build to find the lands, and the inertial puller isn't moving the bullets at all. I'm thinking it's a combination of lighter bullets (88 gr vs the heavier calibers I've run in the past) and maybe some extra grip from factory brass. I lubed the cases in and out to size down the 6BR Lapua brass, then ran a mandrel to get 0.003". After that I hosed out the necks to avoid inconsistent friction from inconsistent case lube distribution. This is all backstory, I know there's other ways to handle tension and neck lube and etc., not looking to edit the process right this moment, and it's different anyway for virgin brass.

In case it's just an issue with not being able to develop enough inertia to overcome the neck grip with lighter bullets, what collet puller (or similar) is your favorite? I'd like ease of use and to be able to recover the bullets without damage, but bullet recovery is more important.

Thanks for any feedback you've got!

I like my rcbs but it requires a space filler in a coax press to keep it from spinning freely so I’d recommend the hornady cam in that instance as it doesn’t require rotational effort.
    You’ll find people like both about equally though.

Reactions: lash
    RCBS is all I've ever used and it's been quite adequate.

I like my rcbs but it requires a space filler in a coax press to keep it from spinning freely so I’d recommend the hornady cam in that instance as it doesn’t require rotational effort.
    You’ll find people like both about equally though.

I've always used RCBS, but now that I'm running a turret press I'm running into this. I think I'll have to pick up a Hornady.

Thanks all for the replies. I'm running a turret press, didn't think about the headache of spinning the handle on the RCBS or Forster Standard, so I went with the Hornady. Prices weren't very different when the collets are factored in. Also considered the Forster Universal, but it'd mean I'd have to keep a socket wrench by the bench, and I just didn't feel like it.

Appreciate the help!

I use the Forster puller and it works great. Also use it to hold gauge pins for sizing case necks. But if I was to do it over again I would closely look at the Hornady unit.

Didn't someone on here post parts from McMaster Carr to turn the RCBS collet puller into the same cam-lever action as the Hornady style? I have the RCBS and it works for what I've needed, but the quick lever lock seems nice.

Never used a collet puller but I can't imagine any collet puller being easier than the grip n pull and there's zero damage to the bullet with the grip n pull, ever.

Never used a collet puller but I can't imagine any collet puller being easier than the grip n pull and there's zero damage to the bullet with the grip n pull, ever.

What technique are you using? I get a little bit of bullet damage when I use mine.

What technique are you using? I get a little bit of bullet damage when I use mine.
    Well, I sort of have to use the technique I have because I have a turret press fill of dies that I don't want to take off. I had a block made so I can use the ram and do it under the turret. So I place the gnp on top of the block (as you could on top of your press where the die would go) and raise the bullet into the hole on the gnp, until it lifts the gnp slightly with the case mouth, then I squeeze on the grip n pull, and lower the ram fairly quickly. Bullet comes right out and zero marks. Berger 130 otm. I guess the neck tension would have something to do with that and I don't run very much tension (2 thou) . I inspected my bullets before and after and cannot see any marks at all.

Attachments

• 20220503_214525.jpg
      20220503_214525.jpg
      319.3 KB · Views: 45
    Hornady if you use a co-ax for sure.
    How do you set up the puller in the Co-Ax press. I must be missing something because the cam-lock handle is always in the way?

How do you set the collet to make sure the brass does not go into the collet?

How do you set up the puller in the Co-Ax press. I must be missing something because the cam-lock handle is always in the way?

How do you set the collet to make sure the brass does not go into the collet?
    I uses the Hornady cam-lock puller in my Co-Ax and yes, it's a little awkward to use in the Co-Ax. But I like it as it pulls bullets very well. I just have to start locking puller handle down after I've pulled the Co-Ax handle down to where the puller is just about making contact with the case neck. Often I'll make contact with the case neck and that's when I know to lock the puller down. I just don't find that to be any kind of a problem at all.

Reactions: RayRay_G19