• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Favorite Coyote Call

DeepEastKilla

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
S/E Minnesota
www.youtube.com
Ok I'm looking to get into coyote hunting. I've have buddies that hunt them around here but ive never went. Well I was going to do a poll on "What's Your Favorite Coyote Call" but I really dont know all the calls so it would be pretty hard to set up a poll. So I guess I'll just ask, whats your favorite coyote/predator calls and also what one you use most. I'm currently making my own from plans on a site but I'd like to look into buying one that I know will work well.

P.S. I'm talking open/closed reed calls but if you want to you can post your favorite digital calls too.

Re: Favorite Coyote Call

oddly enough, i've called in more coyotes by making a fist and making high pitched "smooching" sounds by kissing the fist where the thumb meets the fist, acting like a echo chamber. that called in more fox and coyote than all my manual and electronic calls combined.

2nd would be a mouth turkey call, just don't make it sound too much like a turkey, lock up the call in your mouth and make a series of shreeks.

as far as commercial calls, the foxpros seem to be the ones to get.

i also have a cheap assed johnny stewart remote one i bought for $40.00 that i take with me as it's not only cheap but compact and use that one when hunting squirrels and stuff. when there'snothing going on, i put that one into use.

funny im actually watchin "calling all coyotes" right now and fixin to go see if i can get one, i love the primos ki-yi, also the primos hot dog, and the primos howler pack, the nice thing about the mouth pieces is you can shoulder your rifle and still call when they are comin in, you always want to have some kind of distress call and the howlers wrk really good for locating dogs, but you can call them in with just a howler too, the primos calling all coyotes are amazing videos to learn from, good luck

XMAS09022.jpg

Homemade stuff I've used for years....

I am like PGS... have some of my own outta PVC pipe and have a good collection of custom calls from builders around the country.

And one really great sounding cow horn howler from a friend
wink.gif

The areas around me get a lot of calling pressure except for the few private ranches that I have permission to hunt on. I have a box of different hand calls including Sceery, Primos, and PGS. I tend to switch between them trying to find something different that they haven't heard a dozen times. Different sounds seem to be the key in my neck of the woods.

got some Randy Anderson calls myself, the Ki-Yi, big dog, lil dog, cat nip, all work well for me, that is in case my new prarie blaster quits.
NICE WORK PGS. IMPRESIVE WORK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am like PGS... have some of my own outta PVC pipe and have a good collection of custom calls from builders around the country.

And one really great sounding cow horn howler from a friend
wink.gif
</div></div>

very cool, is there plans you go off of? im trying to replicate this design

http://sdsnake.com/calldesign.htm

i have one that looks like it will work but i dont know what to use for the reed, i know what the material is called but i have no idea where i can find any

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rackchaser71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">funny im actually watchin "calling all coyotes" right now and fixin to go see if i can get one, i love the primos ki-yi, also the primos hot dog, and the primos howler pack, the nice thing about the mouth pieces is you can shoulder your rifle and still call when they are comin in, you always want to have some kind of distress call and the howlers wrk really good for locating dogs, but you can call them in with just a howler too, the primos calling all coyotes are amazing videos to learn from, good luck </div></div>

+1 on Primos Ki-Yi, called in a couple doubles with the cottontail. No jackrabbits where I'm from so I try to stay away from it, or only use it when I need a real raspy loud call in harsh wind or very open spaces. Johnny Stewart's close reed calls are excellent for beginners. No need to worry about slipping and hitting a wrong "note" on the call. For another raspy loud call I use a coon squal. Use the season. When deer are having their fawn's use a fawn distress you can get a couple yotes and doe's will actually come sometimes. When coyotes are born correct me if wrong but spring I think. Use the Ki-Yi or hurt pup.