• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Favorite handgun type

What is your favorite all-around handgun type (do-all home defense, carry, target)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's a bit towards the larger size but I like my HK .45 usp expert.

Ccw is lacking there.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Striker fired (specifically a Glock) from a reliability, ease of use, low maintenance stand point.

If CCW its glock all day

Favorite at the range goes to 1911

Hunting can add another category

Last edited:
I carry a Glock. Love shooting 1911's and revolvers. The capacity of striker fired over others I think make them ideal for carry and home defense handgun.

Reactions: camocorvette
If it goes bang, I like it. But I voted DA/SA.

I carry a Glock most often because they’re simple, robust, and inexpensive. I have a custom 1911 that is a phenomenal gun, but it’s large, heavy, and complex.

But my first handgun experience was DA/SA, and personally, I feel it has significant merit in many regards for those willing to train to proficiency with it. So I’m going to start rocking a few at local competitions and such. A well-tuned DA/SA trigger can be a thing of absolute beauty!

If I were forced to select a single type, 1911/2011. That being said, I'd probably own at least one of each of those for different purposes. I've also realized that buying a single handgun to cover all my uses would be vastly more expensive than being multiple guns, each of which would be better optimized anyway.

Reactions: Balor
all of the except compact anything I want a big no a huge gun by my side
images

77374810001_2203132302001_901868133-24328-1362423372372.jpg

tiny guns are for lesser people. lol

• Haha
Reactions: jeffg
For fun: Revolvers, especially because I hate having to bend over and pick up brass.

For aesthetics: 1911s.

For defensive purposes: DA/SA metal framed pistols.

As "beaters" that see use/abuse around the ranch: Striker fired polymer framed pistols.

Reactions: MadDuner
I voted 1911 but I've recently started carrying a glock.

I bought a kimber ultra raptor and got my chl as soon as I turned 21. Carried it in a crossbreed holster religiously for 14 years.

Although, here lately I've moved to appendix carrying a glock 19 in a T rex sidecar. But I still love my 1911's.

Anything that is reliable and allows me to make hits, I'm good with.

I can shoot revolvers FAR more accurately than any pistol including 1911s

Polymer framed DA/SA handguns

CZ P-09 for matches, P-07 for CCW.

They are Glock-stupid-simple to detail strip. Accuracy is on par with the CZ Shadow. Trigger job is DIY deal with polishing and deburring OEM parts or replacing them with Cajun Gun Works guts

PM is the same as every other modern service handgun:
  • Clean every couple thousand rounds
  • Change recoil and trigger return springs every 10K rounds
  • Change slide stop every 30K rounds
  • Remove, clean, inspect extractor every 10K rounds
One thing to be careful about: CZ DA/SA pistols with a firing pin block use a cross-slide roll pin to secure the firing pin. The firing pin never contacts the roll pin when it falls on a cartridge. Consistent dry fire without cushioning the firing pin will result in the firing pin striking the roll pin and eventually breaking it. Solution: always use cushioned snap caps or a small oring over the back of the firing pin when dry firing.

They are Glock-stupid-simple to detail strip. Accuracy is on par with the CZ Shadow. Trigger job is DIY deal with polishing and deburring OEM parts or replacing them with Cajun Gun Works guts

PM is stupid simple:
In other words nothing that you wouldn't do any other other modern service handgun

One thing to be careful about: CZ DA/SA pistols with a firing pin block use a cross-slide roll pin to secure the firing pin. The firing pin never contacts the roll pin when it falls on a cartridge. Consistent dry fire without cushioning the firing pin will result in the firing pin striking the roll pin and eventually breaking it. Solution: always use cushioned snap caps or a small oring over the back of the firing pin when dry firing.
You just about have me convinced to buy a DA/SA with a trijicon

You just about have me convinced to buy a DA/SA with a trijicon

Unfortunately neither the P-07 nor the P-09 come optics ready from CZ.

I would send the slide and optic to Primary Machine for slide milling to accept the optic.

If you go with a Trijicon SRO, I strongly recomment that you opt for milling that removes the rear sight completely and slides the optic as far back on the slide. I had my P-09 milled with the optic in front of a Glock dovetail (the OEM dovetail gets wiped off anyway) and now I get a small soot smear on the glass after about 150 rounds.

If you go with an RMR, this is not a problem due to the shorter length of the optic.

Reactions: hafejd30
Unfortunately neither the P-07 nor the P-09 come optics ready from CZ.

I would send the slide and optic to Primary Machine for slide milling to accept the optic.

If you go with a Trijicon SRO, I strongly recomment that you opt for milling that removes the rear sight completely and slides the optic as far back on the slide. I had my P-09 milled with the optic in front of a Glock dovetail (the OEM dovetail gets wiped off anyway) and now I get a small soot smear on the glass after about 150 rounds.

If you go with an RMR, this is not a problem due to the shorter length of the optic.
I do plan to try a rds on a handgun. Despite my “no need for sights inside 7 yards” that attracted so much attention in the other thread. I truly think it had its benefits

I do plan to try a rds on a handgun. Despite my “no need for sights inside 7 yards” that attracted so much attention in the other thread. I truly think it had its benefits
The benefits will come only after one becomes proficient in using them the correct way.

Hit me up when you get a pistol setup and have any questions or wonder if you're doing things right.

I also recommend some training from someone who knows how to use one. Any shooter who has an A or higher classification in USPSA Carry Optics or Open can help you in person.

Reactions: Gustav7
The benefits will come only after one becomes proficient in using them the correct way.

Hit me up when you get a pistol setup and have any questions or wonder if you're doing things right.

I also recommend some training from someone who knows how to use one. Any shooter who has an A or higher classification in USPSA Carry Optics or Open can help you in person.
Shoot me a recommendation on what combo is best. I’m definitely considering trying one out. But honestly I’m an old school iron sights type of guy. The pressure to switch is real!

Shoot me a recommendation on what combo is best. I’m definitely considering trying one out. But honestly I’m an old school iron sights type of guy. The pressure to switch is real!

We can take this to PM later on, to get into more details

Range and accuracy a 1911 all day long, I carry a p365 for size and weight, open carry a full size shadow systems(probably my favorite all around gun I’ve had).

Reactions: JoshPutman
My favorite pistol is the Luger P-08, even though i dont currently own one.
As for the rest, depends on what im using it for.
When hunting strictly with a handgun its a TC Encore with either a .44 mag or 7mm-08 barrel.
For back up when rifle hunting its a Ruger BH/SBH revolver in .357, 44 mag or 45 Colt mostly, but I'm known to carry a S&W 1076 nearly as often.
I have numerous 1911's and High Powers that are strictly for home/personal defense.
For knocking around the farm off season most of the time the Ruger Mk.1 or Mk.2 target gets the nod, and occasionally a beater Polish Radom 9mm or S&W 1917 in the event i bump into a feral dog. I have one tract of land that seems to be full of them.

I've been a 1911 fan for years, and carried one for quite a few. I'm seriously thinking about picking up a Glock 19 just because they are so damn common.

I guess I might as well get with the times and buy one to play with to see if I like it or not.

Then get an MOS model of your choice and a Trijicon SRO.

If you don't end up liking pistol optics you can sell the whole deal for at least what you paid for. Don't buy a cheapo ching-chong optic to try this out. If you don't want to continue you'll get pennies on the dollar for it. If you do want to stick with pistol optics, it will break sooner rather than later.

I can’t say I have a favorite do it all gun preference. I much prefer DA/SA or SAO for range and competition

For carry, almost everything I carry Regularly is striker.

If I had to choose only one type it would be DA/SA

Favorite is a 1911.

I carry a glock...
This is my answer too.

I don’t have a real nice 1911 but it obviously shoots miles better than my Glock 27/26(conversion barrel). And conversely, my Glock is much lighter and easier to ccw than the 1911. Also, even the subcompact frame with the 27 barrel holds more rounds than the 1911.

I really like the modern striker pistols from cz, hk, sig, walther, beretta.

And I dig the p22(6, 8, 9), along with the hk p30, cz 07/09.

I wish all of the above were available with RMR (RMRcc for the p365 line) cuts from the factories.

I really like the modern striker pistols from cz, hk, sig, walther, beretta.

And I dig the p22(6, 8, 9), along with the hk p30, cz 07/09.

I wish all of the above were available with RMR (RMRcc for the p365 line) cuts from the factories.
i have an rx slide for my p229 as well, but i only use it if i am shooting groups at 25 yds for proficiency testing my shooting (and not my eyes).

Reactions: Milf Dots
Although I very much like P22X DA/SA, 1911’s, and Glocks, I just added a Walther PPQ striker-fired .45 to the group. Love at first bang! Not sure yet on reliability with only ~500 rds on the odometer, but very nice cap gun. Natural POA is better for me than Glocks, more in line with a 1911 or the Sigs, and the trigger is just right easy.

A matched pair of fully custom CZ-52's in full-power 7.62x25 mm Tokarev. Single-action triggers are crisp at 2 pounds. Thumb safety works fine, but decocking feature has been surgically removed. Recoil springs are 18.5 pounds. I completed all of the needed factory machining steps and polished everything internal. Spring loaded firing pin, locking rollers, and extractor are heat treated billet steel. Unreliable FP safety is disabled. A total of about $600 is invested in the pair. Sights are small but suitably fine for such an accurate pistol. New mags are cheap and available. Power of a 357 S&W Magnum (100 gr FMJ bullet at 1650 fps) with the accuracy of a SIG P210. Nine shots from each cocked and locked pistol. Anyone who wants to duplicate this with their CZ-52 shoot me a PM.

A matched pair of fully custom CZ-52's in full-power 7.62x25 mm Tokarev. Single-action triggers are crisp at 2 pounds. Thumb safety works fine, but decocking feature has been surgically removed. Recoil springs are 18.5 pounds. I completed all of the needed factory machining steps and polished everything internal. Spring loaded firing pin, locking rollers, and extractor are heat treated billet steel. Unreliable FP safety is disabled. A total of about $600 is invested in the pair. Sights are small but suitably fine for such an accurate pistol. New mags are cheap and available. Power of a 357 S&W Magnum (100 gr FMJ bullet at 1650 fps) with the accuracy of a SIG P210. Nine shots from each cocked and locked pistol. Anyone who wants to duplicate this with their CZ-52 shoot me a PM.

That's a good job polishing a turd
  • Shit, obsolete ammo that overpenetrates and doesn't expand.
  • No understanding of what makes a handgun bullet an effective one against tissue
  • Not drop safe
  • Single action only
  • Shit sights
  • No ability to accept a light
  • No optics
  • 9 rounds of shit obsolete ammo that overpenetrates and doesn't expand

PM is the same as every other modern service handgun:
I don't compete, but love my CZ PCR. Like stated they are crazy simple to maintain, reliable as all get out, and fit the contour of my palm VERY well right out of the box. Also have a CZ Rami just for fun...

Attachments

• CZ Rami under x ray.jpg
    CZ Rami under x ray.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 24
That's a good job polishing a turd
  • Shit, obsolete ammo that overpenetrates and doesn't expand.
  • No understanding of what makes a handgun bullet an effective one against tissue
  • Not drop safe
  • Single action only
  • Shit sights
  • No ability to accept a light
  • No optics
  • 9 rounds of shit obsolete ammo that overpenetrates and doesn't expand
Your points are valid, but in all fairness every one of them can also be applied to most all early auto pistol designs, the Gov't model Colt 1911/1911a1 through series 70 and the BHP in particular.

Your points are valid, but in all fairness every one of them can also be applied to most all early auto pistol designs, the Gov't model Colt 1911/1911a1 through series 70 and the BHP in particular.

Except those other pistols you mention have been upgraded through the years to keep pace with modern standards and don't use obsolete ammunition.