• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite NRL22 stage or target?

AFancyPenguin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2019
MN
Just thought it would be fun to discuss what your favorite stage designs or targets have been.

Some of my favorite stages have been bonus stages or "fun" stages. We did a 50yd cold bore jackpot stage where you could only participate for score with your very first shot out of the gun, so no sight in. Another we had to shoot to break those cocktail umbrellas in half at 35 yards.

What has been your favorite NRL22 stage - either sanctioned or for fun? What was the stage design?

As a MD, I have a side stage of 'find it, range it, engage it" that goes over really well. I generally set 3 66% IPSC's just inside the tree line about 3-6 yards. Then a "Stop plate", which is a 4" or 5" round NRL22 target. The IPSC's range from 125 yards to 230 yards and the stop plate about 83 yards. Unlimited round count, 2 rounds on each IPSC, must hit to advance, and time stops when stop plate is hit. All are UKD's. Generally I'll have 3 tractor tires or barrels. 1 position per target. The size of the targets aren't the problem. It's finding them and ranging them that people really like/hate. lol

Great idea for a thread! So far my favorites have been the stages I was the worst on. Barrels, buckets, and blocks.

Reactions: AFancyPenguin
while its not NRL22 per se, we ran a rimfire mover stage at the Mid Atlantic Rimfire series last season. Hands down one of the most fun stages I shot last season.
That is at the top of my list to get going at my ranges, but we don't have anything setup at the ranges for movers. Was that a dedicated bay or space or was it setup specifically for the rimfire series? I'd like to rig something up without spending a ton.

Great idea for a thread! So far my favorites have been the stages I was the worst on. Barrels, buckets, and blocks.
Yea, some of my weakest stages are with the 55 gal or 5 gal buckets on their side. One of the more successful guys free-recoils it and i watched him use his hand to stabilize the barrel and ground.

As a MD, I have a side stage of 'find it, range it, engage it" that goes over really well. I generally set 3 66% IPSC's just inside the tree line about 3-6 yards. Then a "Stop plate", which is a 4" or 5" round NRL22 target. The IPSC's range from 125 yards to 230 yards and the stop plate about 83 yards. Unlimited round count, 2 rounds on each IPSC, must hit to advance, and time stops when stop plate is hit. All are UKD's. Generally I'll have 3 tractor tires or barrels. 1 position per target. The size of the targets aren't the problem. It's finding them and ranging them that people really like/hate. lol
This is a great idea! Our ranges are pretty open so nothing natural to hide, but I wonder if we can put some artificial cover up to simulate it? I like it.

This is a great idea! Our ranges are pretty open so nothing natural to hide, but I wonder if we can put some artificial cover up to simulate it? I like it.

I've also done it in an open field and had "UKD's". Having them sitting in an open field and drew a template with the yardage wrote next to the target (on the template, not the actual target). When the shooter steps up, time starts when the RO shows the shooter the template. Kind of a KIM type.

That is at the top of my list to get going at my ranges, but we don't have anything setup at the ranges for movers. Was that a dedicated bay or space or was it setup specifically for the rimfire series? I'd like to rig something up without spending a ton.

D-M Targets make a dedicated rimfire mover, here is the thread over in the rimfire section about it.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/d-m-targets-rimfire-mover-overview.6985036/

at the end of the video it shows it set up and how it was shot during the stage

Interactive stages usually get the best responses from the shooters. Once we give shooters 10 sec to break a paintball at 25 yards. They had to start in the standing position. We have them a verbal countdown (10, 9, 8...). That was fun. Splitting playing cards from the side was also popular.

Personally, I like designing stages that make the shooters think. Shooting when you are prepared is easy. Shooting when you have to think about something else is a real challenge.

Our most universally hated stage was rollover prone. That's a difficult position for a bolt gun.

What is rollover prone? For a fun really frustrating stage, I have been half tempted to suggest we do a weak side standing offhand stage... :LOL:

What is rollover prone? For a fun really frustrating stage, I have been half tempted to suggest we do a weak side standing offhand stage... :LOL:

we've done the weakside off hand, shooting steel eggs at 25 yards. not the easiest thing to do. semi's will have the advantage.

its hard to describe the way we shot it, i will have to look and see if i can find any video of it

this is an example from one of the matches

1581009303273.png

Reactions: A&8's
Didn't know that's what it was called! Always wanted to do that. I want to try reversing it and have the rest be a floating ball in a tub of water too... that would be interesting

Also not a NRL22 stage, but one that seems popular is shaving cream cans on a string at 220 yards. You have to call which can and if you hit it first shot you get 12 pts., if it takes you two shots, you get 6 pts., if it takes three shots, you get 3 pts. A hit is very reactive as these are full unused shaving cream cans that I get at the dollar store.

We had a stage with 4 targets spread out at different distances, some to the left and some to the right. Each target was marked by a color. Then a bucket of cards with colors on them. The shooter drew cards one by one, shooting that target. It made the shooter convert a color to a distance, then to a holdover. Pretty fun. You had to move pretty quickly. Not too hard. Just right.

Long range TYL is also really fun. 100-200 yds. You can really start to see your bullets in flight at those distances.

I would love to see a Kyl stage from different positions on a tank trap.
Nice idea! We might have to use that one. Start out with the wobbly positions for the big targets, then save the stable positions for the small targets.

Hard to go wrong with anything KYL. Unless it’s shooting the same target in succession. If the MD doesn’t tighten down the swing, it takes a fair amount of time waiting for small KYL targets to stop spinning.

Including movement with the KYL would make it much more interesting. Off tank trap, as mentioned, or off buckets / barrels. Even off the ladder would help add just a little more challenge as far as movement and balance. 3/4” and 1/2” KYL at 25-30 yards off a ladder, moving after every 2 shots. Requires good balance, quick target acquisition and movement.