• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite Power Pro 2000 MR loads for 69/77gr SMKs out of 20" AR gas gun?

pell1203

Stay Focused!
Minuteman
  • Dec 27, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    I am searching for a better metering powder than Varget and recently acquired a pound of Power Pro 2000 MR for use with a RRA .223 20" rifle length gas system. I'd like to shoot both 69 and 77 grain SMK projectiles and was wondering what others traveling this path may have previously discovered with respect to these powder/bullet weight combinations.

The Alliant Powder web site shows 26.6 grain charge weight for the 69gr bullet... Is this a min, max, or middle of the road load? Is it tailored for a bolt or gas gun? Surely they could provide a bit more data!

If you'd be willing to post what combinations worked best for you, along with any other wisdom or guidance, it would be greatly appreciated!

:) Thanks in advance.

I just did a load workup on PP 2000-MR and the 77gr Nosler Custom Comp in my 18" POF P415. I think it might one of the easiest OCW's I have ever done.

26.1 grains loaded to 2.26".

Alliant lists the max as 25.2 gr, but I saw several posters claiming to go up as high as 27ish without pressure signs. I worked my way up and my findings agreed with theirs. I saw no pressure signs whatsoever up to 26.4gr where I stopped my test.

I had similar findings with a 18" Noveske, rifle length barrel and 77gr Noslers, SMKs or 75gr Hornadys. I settled around 26.2 grains with a #41 primer IIRC.

Anyone out there using 2000 MR for .223 69gr SMKs? Have your final charge weights been higher than Alliant's recommended 26.6 grains?

I played around briefly with pp2k and 69 SMKs and my charge weight was right about the same. My data came from the Hornady book and I never really tested them aside from basic safety checks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! I'll try an OCW test using 69 gr SMKs starting at 25.4 gr of PP 2000-MR going up in 0.3gr increments to 26.9 gr.

I should come across at least one accuracy node somewhere within that range.