• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite rimfire target sizes?

flyfisher117

Professional Milk Jug Hunter
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Idaho
I am wanting to cut some targets for rim fire. My goal is positional practice at closer ranges so I want to scale my targets to match.

Curious what your ideal target shapes and sizes would be? My goal is to have a bunch of highly portable targets i can take and set up on the range or take and set up out on public lands. Not wanting big and bulky or elaborate. The little rimfire spinners you can get at cabelas are cool but too bulky for my needs.

I'm leaning towards little diamonds, maybe some small IPSC shaped ones for giggles. Im sure others have already went down this path so wanting to learn from others mistakes.

the KYL Rack cover 2"-1/4" in 1/4" increments. I have it set up at 50 yards and shoot it from multiple positions.

Reactions: mrt949
the KYL Rack cover 2"-1/4" in 1/4" increments. I have it set up at 50 yards and shoot it from multiple positions.

By far my favorite is the Know Your Limits (KYL)

I deffinately want to get a KYL target. Do they break down for transport and storage well?

The hanging round, gong like style range from 1 -5 ", mini IPSC then have a couple minis with a center flapper and a couple mini torso. Wanting to get some animal style like a squirrel, rabbit and crow but with a center flapper. Also repaint before shooting, helps to see where the bullet hits. I just set them out at whatever distance instead of the static 25, 50, 75, 100, etc. Hanging targets I use a "shepherds hook" with a bolt, nut and chain on the target. Easy, lightweight and versatile

I deffinately want to get a KYL target. Do they break down for transport and storage well?

It breaks down extremely easily. I guess it depends on what you mean by transport and store well.

The hanging targets stay attached to the bar, so that's the biggest piece. but it lays flat.

I break mine down and set it up every time. I don't have a back yard range, so it goes back and forth with me ever time.

It literally takes seconds to do.

The hanging round, gong like style range from 1 -5 ", mini IPSC then have a couple minis with a center flapper and a couple mini torso. Wanting to get some animal style like a squirrel, rabbit and crow but with a center flapper. Also repaint before shooting, helps to see where the bullet hits. I just set them out at whatever distance instead of the static 25, 50, 75, 100, etc. Hanging targets I use a "shepherds hook" with a bolt, nut and chain on the target. Easy, lightweight and versatile
Thanks, yeah my local range has a 25-100 yard dedicated silhouette range. Sometimes I'll take the little 25 birdie targets and set them at 100.. that got me thinking if I just brought my own targets I can set them up at random yardages for additional practice and to spice it up.

Do you like the little center flappers? Didn't think about making ones like that but would be cool.
The will move locations easy enough. Or look at getting the NRL22 target pack ad you have LOTS of options. A&J Sports is where I got mine.

I will check those out thanks.
It breaks down extremely easily. I guess it depends on what you mean by transport and store well.

The hanging targets stay attached to the bar, so that's the biggest piece. but it lays flat.

I break mine down and set it up every time. I don't have a back yard range, so it goes back and forth with me ever time.

It literally takes seconds to do.
I just don't want a target that requires tools to set up and take down and one that doesn't fold down at all. Like some of the cheap auto reset targets you can get at big box stores. That way when it's in storage its not taking up tons of room and when transporting it can be hauled easy enough in the pickup or trunk of the car.

The KYL set that I linked breaks down and stores extremely easily. No tools needed for setup and take down

Pretty sure i saw a youtube video of those guys hitting the kyl target large to small with a 338 lm. I need one of those. I have a 3 inch section of dozer blade at 150 yds and A 10 inch plate and 2 3 inch plates. Then i have a dueling tree with 4 2x2 plates and a 10 inch plate at 100 yds

Yes I like the flappers. Just make sure to get the type that when hit they swing back / up and not side to side. At distance the side to side won't always swing the full rotation which equals you're walking down to flip it to the side. Gravity hasn't failed me yet on the flip back / up style

If you have access to a welder I've recently made a 300 yard range at my house. The stands are really easy to make. Get a straight piece of rebar about 4ish feet long. Use bigger rebar for this section. Get some smaller rebar in about 1 or two foot sections, basically long enough to bend. Bend the smaller rebar into an L shape and weld it to the bigger rebar with the curve of your bend DOWN. You can fit at least three targets on one piece of 4 foot long rebar. You can space them as needed.

Drive the stake in the ground and hang targets on it. I have just a couple of inches circles on up to 8 inch circles and a couple of 1/2 size IPSC targets hanging on mine. On that stretch I think I have nine separate targets. I have another lane that I can shoot from under the car port that has 3 more targets on it and another pistol target that I can also shoot from the back porch. I think I have 14 targets hanging now with most made out of 1/2" AR500 and I think one made out of 3/8" AR500. For rimfire only you can have 1/4" plates that are much cheaper.

I shoot it with a 22LR an AR and other calibers out to 300 yards.

The only issue I have had is if I hit the bigger targets on the edge with anything bigger than 22LR they get cocked off to the side a little bit. I fixed this by driving two small pieces of rebar in the ground behind my targets to keep them from turning sideways. When I get around to it I will weld a cross bar onto the post instead of having the two stakes supporting the target.

I'd recommend buying or making the NRL22 target kit. Also recommend buying/making more stands and plates than it comes with. Like 1 or 2 of each size extra. I made mine. But there are a few vendors making them.
Yeah something like the NRL22 kit linked above is exactly what I am after. Just a bunch of random targets that would allow me to set up how ever I please.

Going to see what it would cost to cut them at work and perhaps just make my own.
If you have access to a welder I've recently made a 300 yard range at my house. The stands are really easy to make. Get a straight piece of rebar about 4ish feet long. Use bigger rebar for this section. Get some smaller rebar in about 1 or two foot sections, basically long enough to bend. Bend the smaller rebar into an L shape and weld it to the bigger rebar with the curve of your bend DOWN. You can fit at least three targets on one piece of 4 foot long rebar. You can space them as needed.

Drive the stake in the ground and hang targets on it. I have just a couple of inches circles on up to 8 inch circles and a couple of 1/2 size IPSC targets hanging on mine. On that stretch I think I have nine separate targets. I have another lane that I can shoot from under the car port that has 3 more targets on it and another pistol target that I can also shoot from the back porch. I think I have 14 targets hanging now with most made out of 1/2" AR500 and I think one made out of 3/8" AR500. For rimfire only you can have 1/4" plates that are much cheaper.

I shoot it with a 22LR an AR and other calibers out to 300 yards.

The only issue I have had is if I hit the bigger targets on the edge with anything bigger than 22LR they get cocked off to the side a little bit. I fixed this by driving two small pieces of rebar in the ground behind my targets to keep them from turning sideways. When I get around to it I will weld a cross bar onto the post instead of having the two stakes supporting the target.
Thanks, I was also thinking about using belted chain rod as well. Hard and its free if you find a potato farmer replacing his chains. I dont have direct access to a welder but a short drive to family and I can get my hands on one.

I have a number of .22 AR500 steel targets from D-M Targets. They have all sizes. They are easy to set up. I keep them in toolbox to carry them out to the range.

Reactions: Bradu