• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite Rimfire Targets

projectpat0

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2010
Western NC
Ive done several searches and read a few posts discussing targets. I made my own dot drills for 25 and 50 yards. the 25 yd circles are .25inch while the 50 yard dots are .5 inch. I just wanted to know what anyone else used besides the dot drill for shooting 25-100yards with their rimfire trainers. Thanks

Re: Favorite Rimfire Targets

Thanks for your help. I read most of the threads you linked prior to posting the thread. I just wanted to get some additional feedback of what everyone preferred to shoot aside from dots.

Here's a steel swinger I built, the target sizes are 1" and 3/4" square,5/8", 1/2" and 3/8" round.At 50 to 75 yards the 3/8" is challenging but not impossible.A solid hit on the smaller 3 will spin them all the way around.
It's a good Know Your Limitations target.

kylrimfire.jpg

THAT IS AWESOME! I have shot "know your limits" with paper targets plenty...but this would make it SO much more fun.

When are you going to start selling these things?

Great looking targets.

Exactly what we were talking about in this thread.
Rimfire targets

Nice to know that there is a version already out there.
Reactive targets have become the favorite for 22LR.

Lately I've been letting the kids shoot the dum dums stuck in a 2x4, leaving the sticks for me to shoot. A real challenge at 40 yards, well for me anyway.

Thats really nice swinger target, shotgun shells are alway fun and plentyful.

These are the targets I use most for practicing with "bulk" grade ammo:

I have a roughly 35% "IPSC" style target that I cut from 1/4" mild-carbon steel that is my favorite 200/250 (300 someday?) yard target and has lasted very well for several thousand hits from both close and long range from .22 LR's.

For 150/200 I have a simple 5" diamond cut from the same steel.
(be forewarned: a .17 HMR left pock-marks and bent it slightly @ 50 yards.

For 100 and closer, I have been using heavy stainless steel washers...stacking a few 3" washers in front of each other gives you a challenging and cheap 100 yard target. Not sure how long it will last; just started using these myself.

All of these targets may be hung very simply by threading them on a large machining or lag bolt for quick attachment to stake or backboard. One easy way is to get an old road sign-post and or similar creature and drill to accommodate aforementioned bolt and attached target.

Shotgun empties, green walnuts, cornstarch-filled balloons, clay pigeons, nec-o-wafers...keep it fun and challenging, but appropriately sized steel is still my favorite.

-The Kid.

Tried golf balls. Those don't hold up well. About 20 rounds will pop them open. Then the guts fall out. I use steel swingers. I made some out of steel plate. 1" up to 9". My favorite is the 3" at 300 yards. I can hit it 10 for 10 on a decent day. I also like shooting small pebbles and dirt clods. Anything past 100 yards is exciting. It gets fun after 200 yards. I don't even take targets to the range with me. I just shoot the crap on the ground!