• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Favorite Scope Poll

LukeUSMC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2008
Louisiana
I've been seeing so many Brand "X" vs Brand "X" Scope threads I started this to help some people out. Vote for your favorite. Feel free to leave a comment as to why it's your favorite.

Re: Favorite Scope Poll

Seems like one of the main contenders isn't listed here: IOR
They seem to have a big enough following to not be listed as "other".
That's where my vote landed

US Optics. Of the brands I've tried and had I keep going back to John and company. Great product, amazing support, and will build what you want.
Premier is a great product so far, but I give USO the edge for features.
I haven't had a NF, but the ones I've played with are very nice. I never got an NXS because I got FFP spoiled, and I'm not crazy about the whole eyepiece moving, but that's minor.
Leupold MK4 is still in the stable (a real MK4, the fixed power kind), and may be getting an M5 upgrade.
Super Sniper 16X is my rimfire/backup and doesn;t give up too much to the 16X MK4 I have. I have zero experience with the HD SS's.
S&B and Hensoldt-haven't had either.........yet.

Night Force is my choice. But there are many good scopes. Some don't care for Luepys, I on the other hand, like them and own them. Would I own Premier, USO, S&B and others, sure but I havnt gone that route....Just my opinion... SmokeRolls

This is a tough question.

Nightforce for the price is one of the best scopes on the market. Their glass is very nice and they are extremely reliable.

USO are custom and you can have them made how you would like. I really like the low profile EREK elevation turret, they have a great range of reticle patterns to choose from, and they are very robust.

S&B have great glass and their turrets are very nice. It would be nice to see more reticle patterns but the P4 and the P4-Fine are nice. The biggest downfall is if you need to have it repaired you will have to send it back to Germany so expect it to be gone for a few months.

Premier has been around for sometime working on scopes and now they came out with their own. I know they had a rough start but they've since corrected early problems. The turrets are very positive, the glass is outstanding, the GENII XR is by far one of my favorite reticles, they have a very robust housing, and they are made here in the USA.

Leupold are not the best but for the price but they will do the job. They are also nice if you're going for a lightweight rig.

TheSmokeRolls said:
Night Force is my choice. But there are many good scopes. Some don't care for Luepys, I on the other hand, like them and own them. Would I own Premier, USO, S&B and others, sure but I havnt gone that route....Just my opinion... SmokeRolls Totally agree

WTF?? no love for counter sniper?

they have 24 step vacuum Bertrillium-Zantitium™ multicoating for God sakes!

Not to mention they will warranty the scope for bullet damage.

damnit... 467 beat me to it
laugh.gif

I get a ration of crap for it but I've had great luck with the off brands. I use Barska, NcStar, BSA Platinum series and none have ever let me down. They all retain zero I can dial then up for long range and then down and POI has not changed. As far as looking through them my old eyes can't tell the difference between the high dollar scopes and the middle of the road ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cant vote early and vote often? </div></div>

Sorry I suck with computers, the fact I was even able to make this poll impressed me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyle1974</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WTF?? no love for counter sniper?

laugh.gif
</div></div> Counter-Sniper is on the list. It's gone into Stealth Mode for opsec.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WyoRanchHand</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyle1974</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WTF?? no love for counter sniper?

laugh.gif
</div></div> Counter-Sniper is on the list. It's gone into Stealth Mode for opsec. </div></div>

LLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hensoldt is the finest glass made. I might think that the only people that do not vote for this have never looked through one...
imho

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SavageStag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked NF because no other scope is 1000-1500 dollars better.
Just my opinion. </div></div>

Which is why I voted the same. Although I switched to USO because it had every feature I wanted, the nightforce has to be the best scope for the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LukeUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been seeing so many Brand "X" vs Brand "X" Scope threads I started this to help some people out. </div></div>

No offense, but the poll does nothing to help people out. Someone may have a favorite, simply because it's the only scope on the list they've owned. That doesn't tell us anything about the quality, value, etc.

Really, they are all the best and all the worst, it just depends on the criteria you use to judge them.

Oh, and is that Super Sniper plain or with new HD glass and mil clicks?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LukeUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been seeing so many Brand "X" vs Brand "X" Scope threads I started this to help some people out. </div></div>

No offense, but the poll does nothing to help people out. Someone may have a favorite, simply because it's the only scope on the list they've owned. That doesn't tell us anything about the quality, value, etc.

Really, they are all the best and all the worst, it just depends on the criteria you use to judge them.

Oh, and is that Super Sniper plain or with new HD glass and mil clicks?
wink.gif
</div></div>

BRILLIANT!!

Okay . . . How about this . . .

I'll put together an Excel spreadsheet and list as many tactical scopes as I can find, and simply rate three criteria: Optics, reliability, and, ergonomics. There'll be a classification for magnification, and it'll list whether it's FFP or SFP. Maybe a field for the best place to buy, and a price range.

I know it sound like a lot of data to wade through, but if I started a list, would you all want to contribute your opinions? If we can get it somewhat comprehensive, maybe LowLight will sticky it . . .

What do you all think?

Leupold Mark 4 is still hard to beat for the money. I have had great luck with them over the years and customer service is hard to beat. Of course if I had 1K more to spend (per scope), I would get a USO, but.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: weimjagd1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hensoldt is the finest glass made. I might think that the only people that do not vote for this have never looked through one...
imho </div></div>

What makes the Hensoldt glass better? Finest made?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SavageStag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked NF because no other scope is 1000-1500 dollars better.

I think it's funny that the NF gets the "for the money" nod all the time, when they've always been a SFP scope being compared to FFP... Then, when they come out with a FFP that can truly be compared, it's priced at $2200-2400, right along side the rest of it's competition.

USO for me! The damn EREK spoils you real fast! Being able to have one tailored to your needs is priceless IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SavageStag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked NF because no other scope is 1000-1500 dollars better.

I think it's funny that the NF gets the "for the money" nod all the time, when they've always been a SFP scope being compared to FFP... Then, when they come out with a FFP that can truly be compared, it's priced at $2200-2400, right along side the rest of it's competition.

</div></div>

+1000000000!!!

The F1 and the Premier are about the same price (street price that is) And I could never see myself buying a F1 when I could get the Premier. That being said, Im still a USO guy. But will try the Premier in the near future.

For me its a toss up between NF and S&B. Of the others listed, the only one that tickles my fancy is the Hendsolt. May take a closer look at a Vortex Razor in the future.

FWIW, I would take a NF over a USO regardless of cost and which focal plane the reticle is on. As always, YMMV.....

My favorite is the S&B 4-16x50 lp with the xr ret, every feature I could want, low profile knobs with excellent clicks, single turn, with plenty of elevation,zero stops, excellent glass, great reticle, paralax markings that are numbered, may not be perfect for everyone with the paralax marking but at least you have a reference point. Set in some seekins lows and it sets nice and low.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SavageStag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked NF because no other scope is 1000-1500 dollars better.

</div></div>

+1000000000!!!

The F1 and the Premier are about the same price (street price that is) And I could never see myself buying a F1 when I could get the Premier. That being said, Im still a USO guy. But will try the Premier in the near future. </div></div>
and bingo was his name-o!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seven mm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My favorite is the S&B 4-16x50 lp with the xr ret, every feature I could want, low profile knobs with excellent clicks, single turn, with plenty of elevation,zero stops, excellent glass, great reticle, paralax markings that are numbered, may not be perfect for everyone with the paralax marking but at least you have a reference point. Set in some seekins lows and it sets nice and low. </div></div>

+1

I have owned many of the scopes on the list (all but Hensoldt, Super Sniper, Vortex Razor, and Pride & Fowler).

If you want to spend the $$$, the function, features, and reliability of the MIL S&B 4-16, in either x42 or x50, is tough to beat.

I agree. If they made a 4-16x50 CCW double turn, MRAD adjust, with P4fine, Id have a hard time considering any other scope.

My first generation IOR SnipersHide Edition 3-18 FFP is still going strong and I couldn't have gotten a better value. Scott at Liberty Optics is definitely Good To Go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peanutlover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My first generation IOR SnipersHide Edition 3-18 FFP is still going strong and I couldn't have gotten a better value. Scott at Liberty Optics is definitely Good To Go. </div></div>

+2

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerbikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seven mm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My favorite is the S&B 4-16x50 lp with the xr ret, every feature I could want, low profile knobs with excellent clicks, single turn, with plenty of elevation,zero stops, excellent glass, great reticle, paralax markings that are numbered, may not be perfect for everyone with the paralax marking but at least you have a reference point. Set in some seekins lows and it sets nice and low. </div></div>+1 I have owned many of the scopes on the list (all but Hensoldt, Super Sniper, Vortex Razor, and Pride & Fowler).If you want to spend the $$$, the function, features, and reliability of the MIL S&B 4-16, in either x42 or x50, is tough to beat. </div></div>Agreed.
But it's NF for dollar-value.

I have always had Leupold's until recently. Just stepped up to the S & B 4-16 x 42. Now I'm thinking of changing all my rifles over to them. S & B seems hard to beat to me.

Hi i recieved my Premier 5-25 before christmas and the rings just arrived a week ago it was amasing before i used it i fitted it to my 6mmBR hunting/tacticle rifle and shot it today it is just amasing i wish i had the coin and i would be getting 2 or 3 more this will end up on my 338 when i finaly finish the rifle off and i still have to get another scope for my BR i wish i could get another one but i might have to get a Mill/Mill Nightforce 22 power NXS as they are a lot cheeper and quality but i have seen problems with some and am woried about their tracking. i have also considered the new Weaver Tacticle but the reticle and non illumination might kill them their is also the IOR but again the tracking might not be up to the premier the tracking is the No1 concern for me it must track over any other feature or it is not worth having.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SavageStag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked NF because no other scope is 1000-1500 dollars better.

Okay, I'll grant you that one, but in <span style="text-decoration: underline">My Opinion</span>, for what i need, having FFP isn't worth $1000. This was after all, a poll on opinion.

</div></div>

I have limited experience but I really enjoy my Mark 4. I have not had the pleasure of using the higher end, but in the price range I have the Leupold gets my vote. The scope is bright and very user friendly.

simplicity rules.... Fixed 10X M3A. They (haji) won't walk off a 175 gr pill and this scope gets even the novice shooter to 800m fast.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: weimjagd1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hensoldt is the finest glass made. I might think that the only people that do not vote for this have never looked through one...
imho </div></div>

What makes the Hensoldt glass better? Finest made?

</div></div>I have the Zeiss victory Diavari, Brother to the Hensoldt, and can honestly say they make the finest glass in the world. Edge to edge clarity and vivid color is amazing. At twilight you can see beter through the scope than you can with your own eyes. Zeiss has been at it as long as any one and make lenses for sony, nuclear sub parascopes, microscopes, and even the machine used to perform lasik surgery on a buddy. I just wish they made a higher power. For comparison I own, owned, or looked through: the Nightforce NXS and benchrest, The Schmidt & Bender 50 power, the March, Swarovski, Leupold and others. If not Zeiss the S&B is my next choice.

Uh..Sightron SIIIs. Prolley one of the best values as far as quality in glass goes.

Funny that USO doesn't get as much online conversation as of late, but they are still a solid favorite around here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bdh308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uh..Sightron SIIIs. Prolley one of the best values as far as quality in glass goes. </div></div>
100% truth being told above! 1+

Just my opinion.</div></div>

+1 well said!