• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Favorite War Movies!

Don't try to run

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2011
Mine are

Bataan!
A Bridge too far
Longest day
Saving Private Ryan
Pork Chop Hill
30 Seconds over Tokyo
Midway
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Sahara
The Battle of Britain
Cockshell Heroes
The Bridge
Empire of the Sun
Bridge over the River Kwai
Horatio Hornblower
Master and Commander
Gettysburg
Rough Riders
The Lost Battalion
Sgt York
Where Eagles Dare
The Green Berets
FMJ (only the Boot Camp scenes)
Das Boot (Director's cut)
The Great Escape
Enemy at the Gates
Charge of the Light Brigade
Letters from Iwo Jima
Blackhawk Down
Pride of the Marines
Lawrence of Arabia
The Dam Busters (like the dog)
The Dirty Dozen
We were Soldiers (bad choice of locations for the movie though. Looks like Griffith Park)
Stalingrad (German with Sub)
Hamburger Hill

There are some good Russian, Finnish, and German ones too.

Re: Favorite War Movies!

das boot
big red one
sgt. york
midway
battan
Apocalypse now redux
kellys heroes
seige of firebase gloria( if any one has a copy or can make me a copy ill buy it)
the boys in company c
battle of britain
a bridge too far
band of brothers
the beast
fmj
we were soldiers
84 Charlie MoPic
patton

shit ill think of more later

"84 Charlie MoPic" intrigued me far more than "Platoon" as a young infantry PFC.

Where Eagles Dare

Patton

The Big Red One

Rough Riders

Sgt. York

The Patriot

I updated the list. "The great raid' wasn't great.
"the wild geese" even with a good cast, wasn't about a real war or action, and was mercs.
Same with 'Dogs of war'.
"Patton" was all cliches.
Kelly's heros was too much a comedy. I enjoyed it when I was 10 years old, but not now.
I also left off PT 109 because kennedy himself said "Who was that movie about?" when he screened it, it was so inaccurate.
Keep the suggestions coming. I probably have seen it, but forgot and will add it to my approved list if worthy.

Longest Day
Hamburger Hill
Firebase Gloria
Patton

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: duke308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Boys of Company C, R Lee's first movie roll </div></div>

i think his first was a chopper pilot in appoc now....i could be mistaken though

Saving private ryan and Blackhawk down are probably my favorite war movies of all time. That being said if we're talking war in general, some more come to mind.

The Patriot
We Were Soldiers
Kingdom of Heaven not many people like it but i'm a big Ridley fan and it's a great piece on the crusades.
Enemy at the Gates
Band of brothers

Wish someone would make another great war movie but hell everything is done on green screen now, so it would take some of the authenticity look out of it.

I like the WWII movies myself. My favorite one hands down though has to be Downfall. Great movie that shows you a different perspective of the end of the third reich.

apocalypse now
all quiet on the western front
black hawk down
braveheart
clear and present danger
full metal jacket
platoon
troy
red dawn
restrepo
saving private ryan
seven samurai
waltz with bashir

lord of the rings and star wars, totally ficticious but I'd loosely consider them to be war movies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saving Private Ryan........hands down. </div></div>

The first 20 minutes of this movie are as real as it gets for what the guys in WWII faced on D Day coming ashore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt.creedmoor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: duke308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Boys of Company C, R Lee's first movie roll </div></div>

i think his first was a chopper pilot in appoc now....i could be mistaken though </div></div>
The Boys in Company C was 1977.
Apocalypse Now was 1979.

T. Washington: "Jesus H. Christ! Brisbee, get down you stupid mutherfucker, get over here and sit down, SIT DOWN! Dammit, the VC are fucking having a sapper attack on us and you out there playing your music!"

Brisbee: "No VC, I put a claymore under the General's trailer."

EDIT:
It was Ermey's role as the foul-mouthed DI SSgt Loyce in The Boys in Company C that got him noticed by directory Stanley Kubrick, who hired him to be his foul-mouthed DI GySgt Hartman in Full Metal Jacket.

There are too many to list, but here are a few:
There are alot of inaccuracies in these films, but I find them enjoyable and look the other way.

WW2

They Were Expendable
A guy Named Joe
Battleground
Flying Tigers
Bataan
Sahara
Sergeant York
Pride of the Marines
Back to Bataan
Sands of Iwo Jima
The Longest Day
In Harm's Way
Patton
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Where Eagles Dare
Kelly's Heroes

Korea

Pork Chop Hill
Bridges At Toko-Ri
Retreat Hell
The Hunters
Men of the Fighting Lady
Battle Hymn

Vietnam

We Were Soldiers
Flight of the Intruder
Bat 21
Full Metal Jacket
The Green Berets
Hamburger Hill
Platoon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt.creedmoor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: duke308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Boys of Company C, R Lee's first movie roll </div></div>

i think his first was a chopper pilot in appoc now....i could be mistaken though </div></div>
The Boys in Company C was 1977.
Apocalypse Now was 1979.

T. Washington: "Jesus H. Christ! Brisbee, get down you stupid mutherfucker, get over here and sit down, SIT DOWN! Dammit, the VC are fucking having a sapper attack on us and you out there playing your music!"

Brisbee: "No VC, I put a claymore under the General's trailer."

EDIT:
It was Ermey's role as the foul-mouthed DI SSgt Loyce in The Boys in Company C that got him noticed by directory Stanley Kubrick, who hired him to be his foul-mouthed DI GySgt Hartman in Full Metal Jacket. </div></div>\

i stand corrected....thank you sir!

Saving Private Ryan
The Green Berets
Patton
Black Hawk Down
Sands of Iwo Jima
Kelly's Heros
We were Soldiers
Hamburger Hill
Full Metal Jacket
The longest day
Bat 21

And while not a movie I have got to go with Band of Brothers as well

Operation Petticoat

That is a classic. Not to much fighting but they did sink a truck.

Father Goose

Not much for fighting, they did need a chaplin. Not because he killed her either.

McHale's Navy

Battle of the buldge
Kellys heroes
Patton
Saving Private Ryan
The Dirty Dozen

And my list can go on good or bad I just love war movies.

I added Hamburger Hill, because I love them fighting up, and sliding down, that worthless muddy pile of dirt. Pretty much every objective is worthless shortly after we take it anyway, even Suribachi.
That's the only suggestion I added today.
I left out the ones with too many cliques that don't have much historical accuracy, like the Battle of the Bulge and even Platoon.
"Uncommon Valor"? are you kidding? Why not Rambo II?
There are a couple Marine Corps movies from the late 50's early 60's that i have to remember the names of. I'll add them when I find out.

Not a favorite per se, but I've been trying to ID this one I saw as a teen. If I recall, it was post-WWII, some Enfield No.4 Mk1 action with Brits trekking along on a train. Kinda remember them being ambushed on the train ... maybe a post-war insurgent story?

Also rpk762, thanks for naming Tribes. I don't remember much else about that show except for the scene with JMV holding out his arms with the weights and the DI getting furious at him. That always stuck with me.

For more recent productions I like...

Black Hawk Down

And the non movie.
Band of Brothers

Hellen Keller Vs. Plunger left in Toilet

black hawk down
we were soldiers

i have to add this as the shittiest movie ever made...watch it for a good laugh...

steele justice...its streaming on netflix..its suppose to be serious but i laughed so hard i threw up lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Donttrytorun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Das Boot (Director's cut)</div></div>

That's #1 on my list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Donttrytorun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
There are some good Russian, Finnish, and German ones too. </div></div>

For the Finns "Unknown Soldier" is excellent but for those who don't speak native Finnish it loses quite a lot as dialects cannot be translated.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048752/plotsummary

Of the modern movies, Talvisota (Winter War) is an excellent movie also for non-native speakers.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808739182/info

I have copies of both movies in case someone wants to see them. Most likely hard to find in the US otherwise.

Breaker Morant
When Trumpets Fade
The Beast

I agree with most all listed:

Apo Now
Seige of Gloria
Hamburger Hill
Platoon
Bravo Two Zero
Guns of Navarrone
Bridge too far
Bridge over river Kwai
Battle of Bataan
B.Hawk down
....Starship Troopers...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CombatSwimmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Black Hawk Down Every time it is on
I am sucked in to watching it. It is the only movie that does that to me.</div></div>

haha thats what Shooter does to me

Cross of Iron, Stalengrad, FMJ, Boys in Company C, Generation Killl, Band of Brothers, Enemy at the Gates

I like a good war movie but the classics are my fav. ( guess thats why they are classic)
Dont have a number one but Sands of Iwo Jima might be it.

Oh I forgot about Sgt York, that is a classic