• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite way carry to binos/kestrel/ammo?

Rodney65

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2018
I am looking for a setup that allows me to securely carry a few shooting related items while out hunting, ATVing, hiking, doing light farm chores, or some field shooting including:

-Binos (Sig 6k 32mm)
-Magazine
-Kestrel

Plus perhaps the option to clip on or squeeze in muffs, gloves, batteries, more ammo, and a small thermos or water bottle but those aren't essential.

Would prefer something with most of the storage built into the system so you don't have to add every single pouch.

Some options are:

Coat pockets (this is usually what I do now. Easy to change jackets and lose something, light jackets don't have good pockets. Not at all ideal)

Battle belt (usually don't have any pouches built in but would hold what I need)

Small backpack (hard to access while wearing, can't combine with larger pack)

Fanny pack (looks funny but it might work)

Chest pack/rig (thinking this may be ideal but don't really know which model or style is best for my uses)

Vest (casual wear vests like Carhartt don't hold enough, especially the binos, and I am not looking for a tactical or fishing vest. Something inbetween might work)

What are your favorite setups? And probably more importantly what have you tried that you did not care for one reason or another?

Thanks!

Last edited:
A lot of the things on your list are items not needed in a hurry, like gloves, thermos, etc. I’d go backpack with a couple of pouches on the shoulder straps for kestrel/binos/LRF etc that you might need more immediately.

Reactions: Rodney65
I've got the Marsupial No Magnet bino harness, it's awesome. I use the 'no magnet' model to help ensure there's no interaction with my bino's compass. I like the bino pouches that open down instead of up (Kuiu also makes one) so I can leave it open & just drop the binos in real easy. You could add a small pouch on the side or bottom for the Kestrel pretty easy.

For the other stuff (water, snacks, gloves, rain gear, etc), I'd use a small pack... You can be pretty deadly with just the bino harness, a tripod & your rifle though.

Thank you very much for the replies, I appreciate the suggestions. I do have the Sig bino chest pack that came with them that's okay but only holds binos.

A small backpack might be the best solution and I don't want to sound like I hate the idea but a the big drawback for me I have a shooting pack for my heavier gear that I set up for matches, range days, or hunting with tripod, electronic callers, and another I use for sledding with avalanche shovel, lights, gloves, etc.

So if I have a small back I can't also use a bigger pack or my biathlon sling overtop which made me think chest rig. Also seemed easier to get in and out of vehicles which means I will be much more likely to actually have it on and not just pull my binos out and leave my pack behind.

Thanks again for the replies. I know I am coming across as picky and whiny (because I am) but I have multiple totes full of tacticool gear solutions that were just a waste of money so I would like to avoid that.

I will look at the Marsupial and Kuiu rigs and maybe a pack like a Rush 12 or something even smaller.

Last edited:
Hill People Gear kitbag plus bino pouch or a bino harness like Eberlestock, Marsupial, KUIU, etc. checks all of your boxes other than having to add pouches to get what you want, but the modularity and ability to customize it is exactly what’s going to make one of those solutions work for you. Putting a couple pouches on isn’t a big deal.

we made it an event the whole family could take part in
1697294433470.jpeg

more a reference to the old Tarzan movies with the porters carrying the white people on safari's luggage like porters I had a hard time finding that pic so I just quickly choose this one .

Last edited:
I have a kuiu pro bino harness with a pouch for my lrf, and a pouch my kestrel fits in plus you can add the hydration pack to the back of it which has a couple pockets also.

I use a marsupial enclosed and it will hold a kestrel on the sides or you can get a kestrel pouch for the bottom. Mag will fit on the mesh in the back.

You can get batteries on the front pouch or the other side. I clip my water bottle to a carabiner. You’re not going to get gloves and stuff in them though.

Hill People Gear kitbag plus bino pouch or a bino harness like Eberlestock, Marsupial, KUIU, etc. checks all of your boxes other than having to add pouches to get what you want, but the modularity and ability to customize it is exactly what’s going to make one of those solutions work for you. Putting a couple pouches on isn’t a big deal.
My requirements aren't too rigid mostly because I don't know exactly what's out there. I am just trying to avoid having unnecessary layers of nylon and fasteners that add weight and bulk and can sag.

That said I haven't found an awesome rig that overcomes that yet so it may be a complete non issue with the right setup.

Last edited:
While I personally tend to use an ultralight chest rig base with a few pouches attached...

I really like the fanny pack setup that Longtucky Supply makes. Worth a look. Mag insert velcro slot built in, a couple molle loops on the edges perfect for a Kestrel, and a cross body strap available if its too much weight on the waist. Attach stuff or run it slick. I keep all kinds of stuff in it, though it mostly rides in the truck these days.

While I personally tend to use an ultralight chest rig base with a few pouches attached...

I really like the fanny pack setup that Longtucky Supply makes. Worth a look. Mag insert velcro slot built in, a couple molle loops on the edges perfect for a Kestrel, and a cross body strap available if its too much weight on the waist. Attach stuff or run it slick. I keep all kinds of stuff in it, though it mostly rides in the truck these days.

Like a 21st century Sam Browne. This is exactly the sort of product I was interested in with features I really like, particularly built in pouches with the option to add more and the single optional shoulder strap that won't interfere with a pack or rifle.

Very cool idea I will be looking into along with the others. Thanks.

Reactions: dirtybores

Good call, I was just looking at those about a week ago... No idea what I need it for, but I'm sure I'm going to order one.

HPG chest bag with bino pouch. Throw sidearm in there too as well as knife, light and personal becon / phone
Seems to be exactly the sort of thing I am looking for as well with a few options to choose from so definitely worth consideration. Thanks.

IMG_4204.jpeg

I keep a lot of the same items on me for coyote hunting. I use a Mystery Ranch 12x bino harness. It’ll hold my:
-Vortex Fury LRF binos
-Kestrel
-flashlight
-AR mag on the bottom in BFG pouch
-CAT TQ in an elastic mount (BFG also, I think)
-Peltor in-ear buds
-Gloves on a cheap clip

If I’m carrying water bottles or licky/chewies I’ll bring along my little Eberlestock Bandit and ditch the bino harness altogether.

I run the badlands chest pack.

Binos, rangefinder, wind meter, spare mag, spare knife.

Backpack has a few small light shooting bags, drag rope (mule tape because it weighs nothing, packs down to nothing, and is good for 2500lbs), extra ammo, headlamp, flashlight, extra batteries, 3 knives, tripod, spotting scope (if needed). And few boxes of gallon zip-locks if I'm somewhere where I'd rather de-bone and pack meat vs packing quarters or whole.

I've got the Marsupial No Magnet bino harness, it's awesome. I use the 'no magnet' model to help ensure there's no interaction with my bino's compass. I like the bino pouches that open down instead of up (Kuiu also makes one) so I can leave it open & just drop the binos in real easy. You could add a small pouch on the side or bottom for the Kestrel pretty easy.

For the other stuff (water, snacks, gloves, rain gear, etc), I'd use a small pack... You can be pretty deadly with just the bino harness, a tripod & your rifle though.

This is what I use as well.

You will have to add pouches to the bino harness to add a kestrel and magazine though, as the Marsupial Gear runs a bit more streamlined than some other bino harnesses.

It's a well made product, I use mine all the time.

Browse the Marsupial Gear website.. they make more than chest rigs. Their hunting belt/chassis system might fit your needs.

Love my magnetic Marsupial Gear chest rig w/ extra side pouch for Kestrel.