• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite Wrist Coach?

KnowNothing256

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 9, 2020
    Curious as to what people like best for these. I've shot a muddy match with a cheap one from Big5, velcro was so stiff that opening it up on the clock was a non-starter and it got dirty pretty easy.

I went with the Sunrise Tactical arm board. Little pricey, but it's nice. I used the cheap amazon/football ones for a long time and I'm glad I finally switched

I don't have one (yet), but if it's like everything else I've bought from Wiebad, it's probably pretty good.

I've been using the RE Factor for a few years and I have no complaints, aside from from that it's now starting to fall apart. That's not a knock on it since it's probably 4 or 5 years old and been to an average of two matches a month. I do like that it "opens up" so I can basically have a few different cards loaded.

I bought a Sunrise Tactical as a backup for when the RE Factor is too frayed to use anymore.

Last edited:
    Scotch

1654881333674.png

3M runs a close second.

1654881392945.png

milwaukee inkzall or a grease pencil

also coletac cheatsheet is my pick
    Grease pencil worked fine on the tape, less so on the clear plastic of the cheapo wrist coach for some reason. I'll check out those markers though, thanks!

milwaukee inkzall or a grease pencil

also coletac cheatsheet is my pick
    I could never get fine enough writing from a grease pencil. I use them on the hard (credit card like) dope cards but rarely on tape. Personal preference I guess. The Milwaukee flavor Sharpies work for me as well. Some other fine point felt tip ink pen that works well in wet situations that I'm lacking the name of.

I have a couple of the whatever brand arm coach I bought a few off amazon or a local sporting goods shop, and ended up with one or two in my bag. I seem to prefer dope on the gun on a crush-it timer type setup or a dope card that mounts to a rail, ring, tube, etc.

Reactions: Sblzrd65
    grease pens hav never really worked well on the plastic of my wrist coach, or my eliminated DOPE cards but I’ve had good luck with erasable pens. Get the fine tip ones from Amazon. Work great.

Short action Precision

Stop using a wrist coach. it causes you to break your cheek weld / position and slows you down. I use this one because it’s inexpensive and flexible. But there are vendors who make fancy $100 ones to help satisfy any spending urges
    It’s more fair to say I haven’t really *started* using a wrist coach. I like the gun-mounted cards, I use one for known-distance stages and will continue to do so. However, not sure that they fit with a UKD-style match.

Would you use one of those at, say, an NRL Hunter match where you’re finding and ranging targets on the clock?

It’s more fair to say I haven’t really *started* using a wrist coach. I like the gun-mounted cards, I use one for known-distance stages and will continue to do so. However, not sure that they fit with a UKD-style match.

Would you use one of those at, say, an NRL Hunter match where you’re finding and ranging targets on the clock?
    Yes but you would pre make your dope card in increments of your expected ranges.

My first match ever I used a compression sleeve on my left forearm and athletic tape. Got an Armageddon gear wrist coach for a present. It works well.

If you want to try something different that is inexpensive: Nite Ize 12" gear tie, alligator clip, cut off ball end of tie, slide on clip, and crimp. Wrap around scope tube and point clip perpendicular to tube. Clip in a small dry erase mat, or index card, or whatever.

I use my 2 armageddon gear dry erase cards with this. The cards become "unclean" over time, so now I use a strip of painters tape (green) on the card and write dope on it with pen. Tape over it for next stage or remove. Works well.

Reactions: Slick17
    Short action Precision

Stop using a wrist coach. it causes you to break your cheek weld / position and slows you down. I use this one because it’s inexpensive and flexible. But there are vendors who make fancy $100 ones to help satisfy any spending urges
    Tell that to the best PRS shooters in the country. They don't know what they are doing.

Short action Precision

I put mine on my strong side arm. That way when you need to dial, mine hand is on the turrets and I can glance over to get my dope. No taking my face off the gun required.

Gun mounted dope cards, like SAC or MPA's, aren't large enough for me. Plus, I don't like the fact that a slight bump coming in/out of a barricade can move the card and render it useless. Then I'm wasting time straightening it back up.

2 each their own.

60610D1F-18D3-463E-9176-8EDBE07874D8.jpeg

Just teach him to read and you’re golden. Find some little muffs

• Haha
    Reactions: Mina_

I don’t shoot a lot of unknown distance. When I have I typically use a larger format dope card (it makes it easier to see the dope) and then transfer it to my rifle mounted dope holder, i don’t normally range when on the rifle. When I hunt I’ll tape a 3x5 card onto the side of the stock.

No they don’t. Use what you like but that’s not correct.

Tell that to the best PRS shooters in the country. They don't know what they are doing.
    Just been my observations, top shooters gonna top shoot. The mid pack and new shooters are slowed down and typically put the dope on their support arm. When prone they transfer the butt into the strong hand to look at their dope. then they have to rebuild their position. very few of them keep their cheek weld, they move both the arm and the head.

when You have 90-120 seconds little efficiencies can make the difference in finishing the course of fire or not. If your really quick, really good or practice your technique a lot. It’s not as big a deal.

Just been my observations, top shooters gonna top shoot. The mid pack and new shooters are slowed down and typically put the dope on their support arm. When prone they transfer the butt into the strong hand to look at their dope. then they have to rebuild their position. very few of them keep their cheek weld, they move both the arm and the head.

when You have 90-120 seconds little efficiencies can make the difference in finishing the course of fire or not. If your really quick, really good or practice your technique a lot. It’s not as big a deal.

Again not true. You don't transfer anything. Your strong hand is on rifle grip and you reach up with your offhand to dial and guess what is on your offhand forarm right there near the dial? Your data. It's fast and easy but takes practice. If those mid pack and new shooters are doing all that movement when dialing in the prone then they need a little practice and instruction on how to do it right.

Even when holding it's a slight glance down to see the data on your arm and no breaking positions.

Again not true. You don't transfer anything. Your strong hand is on rifle grip and you reach up with your offhand to dial and guess what is on your offhand forarm right there near the dial? Your data. It's fast and easy but takes practice. If those mid pack and new shooters are doing all that movement when dialing in the prone then they need a little practice and instruction on how to do it right.

Even when holding it's a slight glance down to see the data on your arm and no breaking positions.
    You are swapping hands unless you’re running a gas gun. Strong side is already off the gun to run the bolt. Running the data on the strong side forearm would work pretty well, like @A&8's talked about. I might try that this week.
    totally agree with you that whatever you do it needs to be practiced. Positional shooting also not a big deal since most likely you’re supporting the rifle strong hand and dialing with the support hand

You are swapping hands unless you’re running a gas gun. Strong side is already off the gun to run the bolt. Running the data on the strong side forearm would work pretty well, like @A&8's talked about. I might try that this week.
    totally agree with you that whatever you do it needs to be practiced. Positional shooting also not a big deal since most likely you’re supporting the rifle strong hand and dialing with the support hand

No you work bolt and then change data or do data and then work bolt. Two different operations. You won’t be able to see it as easy with the strong side. Try it but been running it like you say won’t work and rarely time out and have no issues.

Reactions: giumau1
    Dope card goes on support arm not strong arm. The card faces me so when I dial or hold over my support arm is right there and all I gotta do is glance to get the hold or look at it as I'm dialing and I'm good to go.

No you work bolt and then change data or do data and then work bolt. Two different operations. You won’t be able to see it as easy with the strong side. Try it but been running it like you say won’t work and rarely time out and have no issues.

Most are going to do this sequence:

-open bolt
    -dial
    -close bolt

If you are using your support side to dial:

-open bolt right hand
    -grab grip right hand
    -let go of rifle with left hand
    -dial
    -grab rifle with left hand
    -close bolt right hand

If you use strong side:

-open bolt right hand
    -dial right hand
    -close bolt right hand

So, you are definitely swapping hands to do things if you are dialing with your support side.

I personally do all operating with firing hand. Dial, parallax, bolt, trigger, etc

Support hand never leaves the support position unless moving something. This keeps your position you built the same and never rebuilding. Depending on the position, you may or may not have to shore it up when you take your support hand off the rifle.

Will any of this slow you down? Maybe, maybe not. But there’s going to be no negative effects making less movements and being more efficient.

As far as the data board, I swap hands/arms depending on situation. If I’m dialing it goes on the back of my right hand. If I’m holding, it may go on my left arm if my position allows for east viewing.

My right hand is always moving due to running the bolt. So, worst case for me I just roll my hand over while it’s on the open bolt to see my next hold.

Personal preference as always. But you are absolutely swapping hands if you dial with the opposite hand you run the bolt with.

Reactions: High Desert duck
    All of you experienced shooter’s gave me a lot to think about in this thread. Really great reading, thanks

Most are going to do this sequence:

-open bolt
    -dial
    -close bolt

If you are using your support side to dial:

-open bolt right hand
    -grab grip right hand
    -let go of rifle with left hand
    -dial
    -grab rifle with left hand
    -close bolt right hand

If you use strong side:

-open bolt right hand
    -dial right hand
    -close bolt right hand

So, you are definitely swapping hands to do things if you are dialing with your support side.

I personally do all operating with firing hand. Dial, parallax, bolt, trigger, etc

Support hand never leaves the support position unless moving something. This keeps your position you built the same and never rebuilding. Depending on the position, you may or may not have to shore it up when you take your support hand off the rifle.

Will any of this slow you down? Maybe, maybe not. But there’s going to be no negative effects making less movements and being more efficient.

As far as the data board, I swap hands/arms depending on situation. If I’m dialing it goes on the back of my right hand. If I’m holding, it may go on my left arm if my position allows for east viewing.

My right hand is always moving due to running the bolt. So, worst case for me I just roll my hand over while it’s on the open bolt to see my next hold.

Personal preference as always. But you are absolutely swapping hands if you dial with the opposite hand you run the bolt with.

As you said personal preference but I have a much better control over the rifle with my strong hand on the rifle, especially in non prone positions, and more ease of reach with the offhand to elevation/parallax turret without disturbing position with the strong hand and having the butt slip in the shoulder pocket when arm is raised to turn turret. Bolt throw is just an elbow at most movement and mostly wrist and fast but reaching to the elevation turret, or more so the parallax when adjusting for different ranges, breaks my position a lot more than offhand to elevation turret and is slower even though it seems like more steps.

I had no idea. I'm totally floored that someone will pay 5X or 6X what a reasonable price would be if it's in camo or says "tactical ______________" on it. A fool and his money are soon parted.

• Haha
    Reactions: Rob01
    I had no idea. I'm totally floored that someone will pay 5X or 6X what a reasonable price would be if it's in camo or says "tactical ______________" on it. A fool and his money are soon parted.
    Can't really disagree. Used to write data on the back of my hand with pen years ago at matches and it worked and the hot TX sun allowed it to be sweat off by the next stage. LOL

Reactions: beetroot
    I used to use a football one for $5. It worked perfectly even in the rain. On rifle is the only way to go IMO.
    On rifle is much more difficult on an UKD format, but for KD I agree, it’s my preference.

Reactions: Fig
    Ok all, thanks for all the perspectives! Went with the Sunrise Tactical, we’ll see how it goes!

Reactions: Simonsza1

Depends on your application.

For UKD/field matches I really like my Sunrise Tactical one. I had the original one with the 2 straps but it often came loose so I replaced it a bunch of years back with the newer version with the shock cord and it's been awesome. The "flap" is great as I'll usually have a blank card in the top with an arc of fire drawn and that's where I'll draw in target locations and dope (I have a grease pen shock-corded to the wrist coach) and I keep hard copy dope under the flap as well as a mil ranging cheat sheet.

For PRS kinda matches, I use the AG wrist coach as I can write all my necessary dope on it prior to the stage and it's more neat using the wet erase pens than with a grease pen. If the layout of the stage is something along the line of multiple targets from the prone, troop line etc, then I use the MDT rifle mounted dope card. In that case, I'll normally have more info on my wrist and just the minimum on the rifle-mounted card.

Reactions: Sblzrd65
    As you said personal preference but I have a much better control over the rifle with my strong hand on the rifle, especially in non prone positions, and more ease of reach with the offhand to elevation/parallax turret without disturbing position with the strong hand and having the butt slip in the shoulder pocket when arm is raised to turn turret. Bolt throw is just an elbow at most movement and mostly wrist and fast but reaching to the elevation turret, or more so the parallax when adjusting for different ranges, breaks my position a lot more than offhand to elevation turret and is slower even though it seems like more steps.
    Thats how I do it also, strong hand stays controlling the rifle at all times other than working the bolt.

I usually have my support hand on top of my scope (obviously barricade positions not off a bipod) so my hand is barely 2" away from the elevation turret to dial.

Until recently used to wrote dope on masking tape which I stuck to back of my hand, but sweaty hands or rain soaked hands makes it considerably less practical.

I then moved to a Coletac cheat sheet but not sure I'm that keen on it, mostly due to still relying on tape or pens that don't work in the rain.

Have just made an arm board out of Kydex and some elastic that when used with a grease pencil will hopefully be the business.