• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Faxon FX 7 complete rifle and Action

pnorris

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2012
Reactions: Dirty D
Interesting. Integrated recoil lug, check. 20 MOA integrated picatinny rail, check. 70 degreee bolt lift, check. Weight? Seems like it has a lot going for it. Not sure about this:
  • Compatible with Faxon Firearms FX7 Prefit barrels & Similar
Whats “similar”?

I have three Faxon barrels and all shoot well within my expectations of 1.5 MOA or less for a 5 shot group; from reading others experiences with Faxon barrels, I must have gotten lucky. I would expect quite a bit more out of this, but only time will tell if Faxon can actually deliver an action built precisely enough to work with prefits and Faxon barrels for it that can consistently shoot .5 MOA and less. It’s hard to pass up proven actions like Origins and Coup de Grace to try something like this from a company who puts out barrels that seem to not meet many’s expectations.

Who’s first?

Last edited:
Very interesting.
Might buy the receiver and have a good smith thread on a good barrel.
Accuracy has more to do with the barrel than the receiver.

Reactions: KYAggie
Similar to R700 threads.

1698425464578.png

Saw that. That's one of the reasons I want one. I have a barrel in the parts bin which fits the Defiance action. I hope it can be used with this action.

I really do appreciate it when companies post their barrel tenon specs right there for you to see. Such a nice benefit to a potential customer.

Reactions: 737shark
I see that they just added some detailed pics of the bolt as well. What's the benefit of two rows of three lugs? Is that to handle higher pressures or what? Certainly an interesting looking bolt.

They only make a short action so far. That doesn't work for my barrel which needs a long action.

Very interesting though.

Anyone have experience with the short action?

When I inquired about the tenon and prefits

Hi Darryle,
Thank you for taking the time to contact us! The tenon drawing is listed as one of the photos on both actions (the photo furthest to the right in the bottom scroll). It is not compatible with the older pattern of Remage barrels we were producing, but our future Remage barrels will be compatible. The tenon is compatible with Terminus Zeus full thread barrels or any variable shoulder prefit (Remage) barrel with 1.0625"x16TPI threads and a flat breech face.

Action is nicely machined, I got the matte finish. It's really a good looking action. One nice little feature is the indexing mark on the front for barrels if a guy wanted to have indexing lines to match up. Compared to my Terminus Zeus I think the bolt lift is a but stiffer for those that don't like that. It may get a little better as it gets some of course. The trigger hanger doesn't interfere with my XLR Envy. I have a trigger tech diamond that I put in it that is set a about 4-6 ounces and could not get it to slam fire by running the bolt hard and fast, so that's a good thing there. My terminus barrels headspace correctly but line up a quarter turn off from the Zeus, the ejection side markings on my barrels land at 12 o'clock on the Faxon. Here's the part that people will find the biggest draw back I think, this action does not have raceways on it like all the actions I have had. The bolt is guided by the bolt stop and the grove in the side of the bolt as seen in the picture. This is what guides it almost all the way until the lugs enter the front portion of the action. The bolt cocking piece also guides it once it reaches the rear of the receiver which is why there is a slight flare where the cocking piece enters. I noticed that if don't hold upward pressure on the bolt handle it hangs up slightly while running the bolt closed. If I use just a little upward pressure while closing the bolt it runs pretty smooth.
Overall the Faxon is pretty nice especially for the money I think, but it will take a little getting used running the bolt without the raceways the full length of the receiver to guide it like most actions. If any one has any specific questions about anything I didn't think of or notice go ahead ask away and I'll answer as best I can.

Attachments

• IMG_0246.jpeg
    IMG_0246.jpeg
    278.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0247.jpeg
    IMG_0247.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0249.jpeg
    IMG_0249.jpeg
    469.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0248.jpeg
    IMG_0248.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0250.jpeg
    IMG_0250.jpeg
    312.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0251.jpeg
    IMG_0251.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0252.jpeg
    IMG_0252.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0253.jpeg
    IMG_0253.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Looks well-machined. How smooth is it with the 6 lugs? I know it's got to be fast with that 70º bolt throw...

Anybody had a chance to chuck one up in the lathe and check runout on the action face? Just for science and shit... 😂

Looks well-machined. How smooth is it with the 6 lugs? I know it's got to be fast with that 70º bolt throw...

Anybody had a chance to chuck one up in the lathe and check runout on the action face? Just for science and shit... 😂
As far as opening a closing, the bolt is smooth and the timing for primary extraction is good. The down fall is making sure that alignment when pushing the bolt forward is good. Without the typical raceways for the lugs to ride in for the full length of the receiver it can get slightly off. The slot in the bolt just doesn't keep it aligned well enough. The lugs on the Bolt can run into the receiver lugs just slightly while running the bolt forward if not running it deliberately like I stated with Slight upward bolt handle pressure. As nicely as the entire thing is machined I can't imagine the will be much runout, but I am just assuming on that.

As far as opening a closing, the bolt is smooth and the timing for primary extraction is good. The down fall is making sure that alignment when pushing the bolt forward is good. Without the typical raceways for the lugs to ride in for the full length of the receiver it can get slightly off. The slot in the bolt just doesn't keep it aligned well enough. The lugs on the Bolt can run into the receiver lugs just slightly while running the bolt forward if not running it deliberately like I stated with Slight upward bolt handle pressure. As nicely as the entire thing is machined I can't imagine the will be much runout, but I am just assuming on that.
I would really like to see one of these next to an Aero solus. I was holding out hope the faxon will be as good or better than the solus, but given your report it appears it may have similar caveats to the solus. I've handled a couple stripped solus actions and found a similar issue with it, but I thought maybe it was just because it wasn't in a stock 🤷🏻‍♂️. I'm glad to finally see an FX7 in the wild and look forward to hearing you report back. Thank you

Accuracy has more to do with the barrel than the receiver.
Shhhhhh

I thoroughly pissed off my brother and his Remington custom shop PSS with my Stevens 200. I never told him about the Shilen select match barrel and tuned hand loads. 🤣

Action is nicely machined, I got the matte finish. It's really a good looking action. One nice little feature is the indexing mark on the front for barrels if a guy wanted to have indexing lines to match up. Compared to my Terminus Zeus I think the bolt lift is a but stiffer for those that don't like that. It may get a little better as it gets some of course. The trigger hanger doesn't interfere with my XLR Envy. I have a trigger tech diamond that I put in it that is set a about 4-6 ounces and could not get it to slam fire by running the bolt hard and fast, so that's a good thing there. My terminus barrels headspace correctly but line up a quarter turn off from the Zeus, the ejection side markings on my barrels land at 12 o'clock on the Faxon. Here's the part that people will find the biggest draw back I think, this action does not have raceways on it like all the actions I have had. The bolt is guided by the bolt stop and the grove in the side of the bolt as seen in the picture. This is what guides it almost all the way until the lugs enter the front portion of the action. The bolt cocking piece also guides it once it reaches the rear of the receiver which is why there is a slight flare where the cocking piece enters. I noticed that if don't hold upward pressure on the bolt handle it hangs up slightly while running the bolt closed. If I use just a little upward pressure while closing the bolt it runs pretty smooth.
Overall the Faxon is pretty nice especially for the money I think, but it will take a little getting used running the bolt without the raceways the full length of the receiver to guide it like most actions. If any one has any specific questions about anything I didn't think of or notice go ahead ask away and I'll answer as best I can.
I purchased a 6.5 M24 barreled action about 2 weeks ago, shot it once so far but did really well 0.3in 5 shot at 200yrd, BUT i am having sticky bolt cycles and many times if i slow down too much i also have feed issues with the nose jamming again the edge of the barrel. if i go faster it makes it over, but i looked at several after doing it and there is a significant bump on the nose, i'm sure it would cause flight issues. Have you seen the same? should i go in there with a dremal and take the edge off in the ramp spot? same results with 2 poly mages, and 1 metal mag

Last edited:
Reactions: TacT-MecH
I purchased a 6.5 M24 barreled action about 2 weeks ago, shot it once so far but did really well 0.3in 5 shot at 200yrd, BUT i am having sticky bolt cycles and many times if i slow down too much i also have feed issues with the nose jamming again the edge of the barrel. if i go faster it makes it over, but i looked at several after doing it and there is a significant bump on the nose, i'm sure it would cause flight issues. Have you seen the same? should i go in there with a dremal and take the edge off in the ramp spot?

Attachments

• PXL_20240202_192813928.jpg
    PXL_20240202_192813928.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 103
I purchased a 6.5 M24 barreled action about 2 weeks ago, shot it once so far but did really well 0.3in 5 shot at 200yrd, BUT i am having sticky bolt cycles and many times if i slow down too much i also have feed issues with the nose jamming again the edge of the barrel. if i go faster it makes it over, but i looked at several after doing it and there is a significant bump on the nose, i'm sure it would cause flight issues. Have you seen the same? should i go in there with a dremal and take the edge off in the ramp spot? same results with 2 poly mages, and 1 metal mag
Yeah, I get the same. The feed ramp sucks. It’s shaped like a M4 feed ramp and is too steep and split in the middle. If it was a single smoother feed ramp with less angle it would be much better. Straight up the feeding sucks ass. I’m actually not happy at all with the bolt operation and feeding after having out to the range a couple times. I’m probably going to get in touch with Faxon get it returned. It could be a great action but it needs some adjustments

May be you can try AW mag instead of AICS mag.

Yeah, I get the same. The feed ramp sucks. It’s shaped like a M4 feed ramp and is too steep and split in the middle. If it was a single smoother feed ramp with less angle it would be much better. Straight up the feeding sucks ass. I’m actually not happy at all with the bolt operation and feeding after having out to the range a couple times. I’m probably going to get in touch with Faxon get it returned. It could be a great action but it needs some adjustments
The split feed ramp maybe works better with AW mag. Do you have one try?

The split feed ramp maybe works better with AW mag. Do you have one try?
I did use AW mags. Also used ARC mags and MDT and accurate mags. With a 22 Bra barrel and 6x47 Lapua barrel. Bottom line is it doesn’t feed well. Even worse with the center feed mags because the bullets hit the center portion of the feed ramp. It causes the rounds to be pushed to the side some and just doesn’t feed well. With a single wider feed ramp with more angle I’m certain it would feed much better. I have even had several round hit the feed ramp and nose dive back into the mag. I have several thousand rounds on my terminus and have not had any of these issues.