• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Faxon needs to dimple barrels

Sigmanx

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2022
Pennsylvania
Just a bit of a gripe, but on a $330 barrel (specifically the match 16” fluted heavy barrel) the least they could do is at least dimple the barrel for the gas block. Yes I’m well aware that it can be done once the barrel arrives, but it’s simple item to perform during the manufacturing process. Outside of that it appears to be a good option. Honestly this really goes out to all barrel manufacturers, dimple the barrel for the gas black.

Unless it's nitrided, easy peasy, just put a .032" feeler gauge in between the dimple tool and the shoulder for perfect alignment.

Reactions: Sigmanx
Unless it's nitrided, easy peasy, just put a .032" feeler gauge in between the dimple tool and the shoulder for perfect alignment.
Not all gas blocks are designed to have a space between the block and the shoulder of the barrel and some barrels don't even a have a shoulder. A quality dimple jig doesn't need any feeler gauges. A quality jig will index off of the gas port.

Not all gas blocks are designed to have a space between the block and the shoulder of the barrel and some barrels don't even a have a shoulder. A quality dimple jig doesn't need any feeler gauges. A quality jig will index off of the gas port.

I have one that doesn't have a locator only a hole to gauge location and then I have a new SLR.

I think the older one is just a modified gas block, don't even remember where I bought it.

You are correct, I was thinking gas block and typing dimple tool, 12hr days for a solid month makes an old man foolish at times.

I usually just install the gas block as normal using a bore scope to look at the gas block hole and I can see exactly where the gas block needs to be. I install the set screws and lock it on. Then I remove one set screw at a time and drill a dimple into the barrel using the threaded set screw hole in the block as a jig. Replace and do the second set screw. Pretty easy. Many gas blocks use differing spacing holes. I wouldn't trust a gas block to correctly index on a factory dimple
This^^^^
My dimple jig has at least 6 differently spaced hole patterns

I have never used anything but my eyeballs to line up a gas block, and have never had one misaligned. Its really not that hard to do.

Reactions: rpoL98
Never had one move either. I also prefer clamp style gas blocks as opposed to those that lock on with point pressure from set screws. At least when the clamp style will fit under the handgaurd.

Reactions: rpoL98
Some gas blocks have a .265" backspace and some have a .295". Off the shelf barrels must have a dimple at .295" so they will work with all gas blocks, leaving a gap behind some and not others. If you use a plastic handguard with a cap then you must use a GB with a .265" backspace.

Mill with a indexing head on the table. Locate gas port index head 180 degrees dimple with a center drill. Locate second dimple as needed . Easy peasy.

Reactions: Sigmanx