• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Fayetteville / Fort Bragg NC area

cconn30

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2013
Fayetteville NC
Has anyone ever attempted to approach Fort Bragg authorities about hosting monthly long range rifle competitions on their ranges? I understand that it's a very busy base, and range time was hard to come by while in the military. The ranges are outside the cantonment area, and there are entrances out there that don't require you to go through the base checkpoints. I'm not sure if you would have to have your weapon registered on post to access the range area (only while inside the cantonment area). All proceeds or entry fees could go to the Wounded Warrior Foundation or Fisher House. There are some nice KD ranges with a ton of firing points. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this being attempted. Thanks

This is a good question. I'm sure people have approached range control and asked about using the ranges beyond the cantonment area but I bet they'll say no. If I remember correctly, the majority of people that work at range control are contractors which means they don't have much say in it. To run a range you have to have the proper certifications, and they'll want .mil contacts to hold responsible if something goes wrong. My guess is that the ass-pain to benefit ratio is just too much.

Now, if you wanted to contact some instructors at the SOTIC course, I bet they could put something together if they wanted to. Plus, you already have people who will benefit from getting more range time. Nonetheless, it will be an uphill battle. Dealing with admin on Ft Bragg was always such a pain in the ass when I was there a couple years ago.

I hope I'm wrong. Good luck.

I don't know if there is something unique to Ft Bragg that precludes club use but the utilization of military ranges by civilian clubs is frequently done. Here at Camp Lejeune the Coastal Carolina Rifle Club holds matches on a near monthly basis on the KD ranges at Stone Bay. I've also shot civilian run matches on the ranges at Quantico. North State Shooting Club operates on the ranges owned by the National Guard at Camp Butner. In all cases the RSOs were civilians who have attended the necessary RSO courses.

Has anyone ever attempted to approach Fort Bragg authorities about hosting monthly long range rifle competitions on their ranges? I understand that it's a very busy base, and range time was hard to come by while in the military. The ranges are outside the cantonment area, and there are entrances out there that don't require you to go through the base checkpoints. I'm not sure if you would have to have your weapon registered on post to access the range area (only while inside the cantonment area). All proceeds or entry fees could go to the Wounded Warrior Foundation or Fisher House. There are some nice KD ranges with a ton of firing points. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this being attempted. Thanks

You have a better chance using Range37 (commercial/private business) or Trigger Time in Carthage.

http://www.range37.com

FWIW, Range 16 at Ft Campbell and English Range at Ft Benning are open on weekends.

Thanks for the info guys. The ranges that the SOTIC course use are the exact ones that would be great for LR competition. I've shot at Range37PSR, but haven't gone over to the extended range lanes that they have offsite. I'd love to see the owners of 37 organize long range shoots on Bragg, the 37PSR Cup. Another alternative might be out at the new facility Tiger Swan built. They have a public range (100yds max I think), but have the property for much more. I know they are focused on training (and making money like most business), but a once a month event would be awesome. Lejeune and precision shooting seem to go hand in hand. If I had the keys for the day, it would be a rotating monthly tournament, Lejeune, Bragg, Butner. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Cross Creek Shooting Club hosted highpower and F-class shoots on Range 66.

North State Shooting Club shoots extensively at Camp Butner (just north of Durham) from March through December. Several no-kidding national and world champions shoot there.