• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FDAC Help

tip2oo3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2010
SE Ohio
I recently just finished taking an LE scoped rifle course this past week. We worked on our dope out to 300 yards during the course. I have an FDAC and had some variation between my actual dope and the FDAC. Here are my variables
Rifle: 20in barreled savage
AMMO: Tap 168gr.
TEMP: 75degrees
ELEV: Around 1100 ft above sea
Calcualted DA: +2k

According to my calculations the Factory rated velocity of the 168 AMAX is 2673 out of a 24in. barrel. Estimating losing 60 ft/s with the shorter barrel puts me around 2600 and subtract 50 fps. for the FDAC card.

I was using the 2550 card at 2k DA and for 300 yards it calls for -1.5 Mils however actual dope was -1.2 mils.

A. I do not have access to a chrono at this time to confirm velocity
B. My current range maxes out at around 300 yds.

Any suggestions?

Re: FDAC Help

At first glance I would say that the problem you're having is attributed to two factors combined:

1) Lack of a reliable figure for your muzzle velocity (since your basing it upon a deduction from a velocity provided by the ammunition manufacturer for their test barrel).

2) Your range may be slightly short of 300 yards (i'd use a laser to confirm the true distance you're firing across).

<span style="font-weight: bold">Note:</span> I would also make sure that you have a very solid point of aim-point of impact zero at 100 yards.

These would be the first two things i'd look at, the data on the conversion sheet you're using for the 168 AMAX is incredibly accurate provided that you know the distance you're shooting and you have an accurately measured muzzle velocity for your rifle.

I hope I've been able to provide some assistance, and thank you for your business!

Taylor
ACTS, LLC

Tip, I can dig up my book; I've chroned ammo out of my 24" PSS and my 20" LTR; I'm pretty sure it was more than 60 fps variation. I'll post the figures when I find them if you'd like.

I would also say that your rounds are probably moving faster than you calculated. That and the difference between the 168s you are shooting and the 175s that the FDAC is calculated for is probably accounting for the difference.

Do you have an Iphone or Android smart phone by any chance?

I would also say that your rounds are probably moving faster than you calculated. That and the difference between the 168s you are shooting and the 175s that the FDAC is calculated for is probably accounting for the difference.

Do you have an Iphone or Android smart phone by any chance?

I don't have any handheld Ballistic calculators. I don't have my FDAC in front of me but even using the 2700 fps card I believe it only called for 1.3 or .4 mils of drop for 300. That's the main reason I'm a little confused. Even going with the faster cards I'm not matching up yet. I'm going to try to get to Thunder Valley in the near future to chrono and get better dope. Thnaks for the help guys.

I don't know if you will ever be able to match them up as long as you are using the 175 card with a 168 grain bullet. That bullet potentially has different ballistic coefficient and will not have the same exact trajectory as a 175. Good news though, is that they should be coming out with more products and popular calibers soon.

tip2003,

We have a new product line coming out very soon that will include the 168 AMAX, no converting needed. Once you figure out your muzzle velocity shoot me your address via PM, i'll send you one for free.

Shoot straight.

Taylor
ACTS, LLC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sosicmcise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tip2003,

We have a new product line coming out very soon that will include the 168 AMAX, no converting needed. Once you figure out your muzzle velocity shoot me your address via PM, i'll send you one for free.

Shoot straight.

Taylor
ACTS, LLC </div></div>

Awesome, will do. Thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tip2oo3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sosicmcise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tip2003,

Shoot straight.

Taylor
ACTS, LLC </div></div>

Awesome, will do. Thank you.</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sosicmcise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tip2003,

Shoot straight.

Taylor
ACTS, LLC</div></div>

Now this my friend is what you call customer service......

I always love to see manufacturers throwing out bennies like that; says a lot about a company.