• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FDAC or Mildot Master?

Rarebreed93

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2010
oHIo
Field Density Altitude Compensator or the Mildot Master.
Do these both do the same thing?
Is one preferred over the other?
Which one would a newbie be best to have with him to cover distance shooting up to and over 1K yrds?

Re: FDAC or Mildot Master?

They do different things, the MdM is required piece of gear for ranging targets, FDAC is a ballistic calculator for 175 SMKs, niether need batteries.

get both.
smile.gif

edited for more detail on why you need both:

mildot master will help range targets quickly using mil based reticles, plus figure out hold overs etc

FDAC will give you real world ballistic data for a couple specific rounds. but you need to know how far you are shooting first....

They are very different.

We have both of them in stock and they will ship immediately.

We have them in the tool section of our site

Thanks for the clarification.
I need to do more reading as stated.

the FDAC in a nutshell takes the three environmental conditions that affect exterior ballistics bullet flight, combine them into one dataset (DENSITY ALTITUDE), and using modern ballistics , coupled with good old fashioned slide ruler functionality, you get cards that have come-up(scope adjustments) and windage adjustments in 50 yard steps all the way to 1000yds or meters for 308 175 grain bullets at 2600fps, 2650 fps or 2700 fps

manual slide ruler, no batteries required fits in your pocket

the FDAC is well worth every penny, especially for shooters using issued or factory ammo (mil/LE )

the MIL DOT MASTER , is a range estimation slide ruler; with a mildot picture showing mil radian bracket steps/sizes, ranges in yards or meters (have to buy the proper card insert) for a known target size that you are ranging using your MIL DOT optic

it also can be setup to use as a slant angle estimator for angle fire

scenario is , you with your rifle, see a man sized target in the distance; you use your mil-dot scope to estimate how many mils the target is in your scope, then using the MILDOT MASTER you slide the card down to the mil increment the target is, which then gives you the range to that target in yards .. . then pick up your FDAC and using the density altitude estimator graph on side one, you estimate density altitude, then sliding the card to that density altitude figure say (+)3,000ft you look at the closest yardage figure your target is at and read what the scope adjustment is for that yardage; apply that to your optic, adjust for wind, apply the shooting fundamentals, BRASSF (breath, relax, stop, squeeze, follow through) and watch your target fall

other tools do these same things - but many rely on batteries, or are multiple devices that these MANUAL slide rulers combine, making them either a good redundant shooting resource or a great primary resource ;

hope that helps

There are two things that are going to Mammoth with me in 2 weeks that are absolute essentials (outside rifle and ammo), and that's the FDAC, and the MdM. I'm not going to have anything that requires batteries that i'm relying on for the whole match. I will have my PDA, but it's only coming out if the shot goes past 1,000 yards, and last I heard military class was topping out at or around 950.

Get 'em both.

Branden

I don't quite get 2600 fps. out of my 175SMK .308 load, especially this time of year. Is there a way to get useful information out of the FDAC for say, 2500 or 2550 fps?

Yes. My FDAC came with a selection of slides from 2500-2700 fps in 50 fps increments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fusiachi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't quite get 2600 fps. out of my 175SMK .308 load, especially this time of year. Is there a way to get useful information out of the FDAC for say, 2500 or 2550 fps? </div></div>

Hit up Triad Tactical -or- Impact Data Books for the 2500 & 2550 fps cards, both guys have em in stock!!!

Happy Shooting!