• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fedderson 10/22 barrel bad quality continues

Kisssofdeath

House of Yates
Minuteman
  • May 9, 2018
    Virginia
    Well, don't know how many of you visit the crappy, clique member sight RFC but over there I posted about a Fedderson barrel I had that wouldn't shoot and had burrs at the beginning of the rifling. I'll post those photos here later on. I received a replacement barrel today and one of the rifling grooves doesn't extend to the end of the crown. Got photos of that too. I went ahead and mounted the barrel and plan on shooting it in a few minutes.

Everyone is going to make something bad every once in awhile. But in this case, I would have bet the house the replacement barrel would have been perfect in every way. In the quality world we call this an "escape", escapes are the worst thing that can happen to a company. Having it happen to me twice is really really bad for Fedderson. Hopefully the barrel will shoot good, even if it does it doesn't excuse Fedderson for the lack of their quality control.

That would be enough for me to ask for a fulll refund and buy a Shilen.

I was so aggravated yesterday I didn't feel like posting anything. Today I have had a migraine headache all day and just now getting over that. To keep things separate I will post the first barrel photos in this reply. For anyone's information or curiosity this barrel with defects at the beginning on the lands shot the best of the two. On this first barrel every one of the lands were rolled over. The last photo looks different because it was taken with the bore scope rod inserted from the muzzle end. If for some reason someone can't see or recognize the burrs let me know. "Not saying anyone is here" but a couple of idiots on "the cunt" forum aka RFC said they couldn't see the rolled over edges. In reality the idiots were just trying to be dickheads, which they are anyway because they are part of they clique over there.

Attachments

• FD1.JPG
      FD1.JPG
      29.9 KB · Views: 343
    • FD2.JPG
      FD2.JPG
      29.7 KB · Views: 308
    • FD3.JPG
      FD3.JPG
      29.7 KB · Views: 290
    • FD5.JPG
      FD5.JPG
      31.2 KB · Views: 288
    • FD4.JPG
      FD4.JPG
      31.4 KB · Views: 303
    Reactions: 6gunner
    My choices were Kidd, Feddersen, and Green Mountain. I’m glad I went with Kidd for my build.

I have a Volquartsen barrel reworked by CPC. It finally shoots good. I wanted another one just to compare, boy have I experienced that. Here is the Volq and what I can get out of it. Most definitely prefers Lapua ammo.

Attachments

• 0609191640.jpg
      0609191640.jpg
      355.7 KB · Views: 274
    • Volq CPC CenterX 5-2-19.jpg
      Volq CPC CenterX 5-2-19.jpg
      145.2 KB · Views: 283
    • Volq CPC Pistol King NL 6-4-19.jpg
      Volq CPC Pistol King NL 6-4-19.jpg
      160.6 KB · Views: 271
    Ok, here is the second Fedderson barrel. The issue is the crown is screwed because on of the grooves does not make it to the end. The grooves are the black lines, These are the deep lines. If a photo has a dark/black line going to the end then it's a good groove. The others that omit a reflection or blend in with the "lands" is the single groove that didn't make it to the end. Eley Match shot the best "FWIW" with six out of ten 5-shot groups at .5" or under. I do believe Fedderson can make a great barrel. I just seem to be really unlucky at getting a good one from them. I will ask for one more replacement and request a return label again. If I have to pay return shipping I'll just get a refund. I like the black finish and the fitment in the receiver has been really good with both barrels.

Here are the photos. The very first photo should be enough but I'll show more. FD02, FD03 show the bad area. FD04, FD05 show what a good area looks like. The rest are named.

Attachments

• FD01.jpg
      FD01.jpg
      275.7 KB · Views: 320
    • FD02.jpg
      FD02.jpg
      284.1 KB · Views: 334
    • FD03.jpg
      FD03.jpg
      256.3 KB · Views: 308
    • FD04.jpg
      FD04.jpg
      271.5 KB · Views: 271
    • FD05.jpg
      FD05.jpg
      290.4 KB · Views: 347
    • FDbad1.jpg
      FDbad1.jpg
      202.4 KB · Views: 372
    • FDbad2.jpg
      FDbad2.jpg
      200.3 KB · Views: 348
    • FDnormal.jpg
      FDnormal.jpg
      214.6 KB · Views: 304
    • FDnormal1.jpg
      FDnormal1.jpg
      188.9 KB · Views: 303
    • bad last.jpg
      bad last.jpg
      201.3 KB · Views: 284
    I really believe this barrel could have outshot the Volquartsen barrel if it didn't have this defect. I will request one more barrel and tell them (shouldn't have too) that someone needs to inspect the bore from one end to the other and it has to be perfect in every respect. It still amazes me I would get a defective barrel on the second one too.

Reactions: Reynaldo Edrosa
    That's some bad luck. I have a Fedderson that put 5 in one hole at an appleseed event.

I know people love Kidd barrels. I had 4 of them and 2 were defective. Wouldn't eject case. Absolutely love their triggers. I had a shilen where the extractor cut was off center. In all 3 cases the company made it right. Have a Lilja that is a laser right out of the gate

I have one on my 10/22 and shoots better than the OEM. Sorry you got a problem with one. Two.

Well, I contacted Fedderson this morning around 10 am. I have not received a reply from them. Not good. If no reply tomorrow I'll send them an email telling them I"ll pay for return shipping just give me a refund.

If you emailed Fred direct, I would be surprised if you get an answer as he gets a massive amount of email daily.

Call Feddersen via phone at 865-408-1545 or 800-726-7388. You'll likely end up speaking with Sandra initially. Ask her to speak to Fred about the "bad barrel" thread on Sniper's Hide.

I emailed Sandra. I guess I'll have to call. Here it is after 11 am and still no reply from anyone at Fedderson. I'll probably call today around 2-3 pm just to give them enough time to answer.

Spoke with Sandra and Bill at Fedderson yesterday. We had a lengthy discussion about "this, that and the other" that I won't go into detail about. It was a good conversation and Bill was pleasant to talk with. He said I would be getting a hand select barrel that would be shot first to verify accuracy. I shipped the old barrel back yesterday after receiving my return label. At the end of the conversation Bill said I would get the barrel at no charge. He said as much trouble as I have had and still have the patience I had, I would get the barrel free. I have already received credit on my CC. This is good example of how a company should respond. Very much looking forward to getting this barrel.

Glad to see Feddersen took care of you. From everthing I've read in the past, I expected they would make it right.

Spoke with Sandra and Bill at Fedderson yesterday. We had a lengthy discussion about "this, that and the other" that I won't go into detail about. It was a good conversation and Bill was pleasant to talk with. He said I would be getting a hand select barrel that would be shot first to verify accuracy. I shipped the old barrel back yesterday after receiving my return label. At the end of the conversation Bill said I would get the barrel at no charge. He said as much trouble as I have had and still have the patience I had, I would get the barrel free. I have already received credit on my CC. This is good example of how a company should respond. Very much looking forward to getting this barrel.

Sounds like great customer service/ care.

Yeah, can't get much better than them making up for the trouble by giving you the barrel. I sure hope it shoots and it should.

Yeah, can't get much better than them making up for the trouble by giving you the barrel. I sure hope it shoots and it should.

Not to hijack the thread, but KoD what's your most accurate 22LR? You have a lot of them :) I know I mainly read threads from the Tikka T1X, but curious what your favorite 22LR is. I just ordered a Ruger 10/22 Competition for the fiance to shoot, we'll see how well that goes.

Not to hijack the thread, but KoD what's your most accurate 22LR? You have a lot of them :) I know I mainly read threads from the Tikka T1X, but curious what your favorite 22LR is. I just ordered a Ruger 10/22 Competition for the fiance to shoot, we'll see how well that goes.
    Most accurate is my Anschutz 1813 followed really close by my 1710 XLR. That can probably be contributed to the 1813 being a single shot and the 1710 being magazine fed. Scope on the 1813 in the is a Vortex Razor HD GEN II 4.5-27x56, it is now on my Tikka T1x #2 and the 1813 now has a Sightron 8-32x56 on it. The 1710 has a S&B 12-50x56 PM II.
    0207190928.jpg
    1014181748_HDR.jpg

Most accurate is my Anschutz 1813 followed really close by my 1710 XLR. That can probably be contributed to the 1813 being a single shot and the 1710 being magazine fed. Scope on the 1813 in the is a Vortex Razor HD GEN II 4.5-27x56, it is now on my Tikka T1x #2 and the 1813 now has a Sightron 8-32x56 on it. The 1710 has a S&B 12-50x56 PM II.
    View attachment 7111642View attachment 7111643

That 1710 in the chassis is sexy.... how long is that barrel? Looks like it’s over 24”

That is awesome. I'd love to hear how that new barrel shoots.

I almost bought a feddersen but ended up going with Kidd and am happy.

Got the new barrel in today. Inspection looked good this time. Rifle is ready to go, hopefully I can start shooting in an hour or so if the rain don't start.

Well, if it's free can you still complain? I think not. I didn't want to say anything at first but the shank on this barrel was so loose it slipped in the receiver without much resistance at all. Not sure if that was the cause but this 3rd and final barrel is no more accurate than the first two. I have another 10/22 still NIB. (Hard to pass one of for $150) I may get it out and try it and see if the barrel has a better fit. (I don't even know if that's the issue) I just wish I had all the money back I shot up.

I would still recommend Fedderson. Why you ask? Because they did the best they could and treated me right every step along the way. Would I buy from them again, probably not but that doesn't mean anyone else shouldn't. As far as I'm concerned their customer service can't be beat.

Reactions: Rover31
    My 2 Fedderson barrels are very accurate barrels. Both of them slipped into the Kidd receivers and a T/CR22 receiver with only minimal resistance. I have to wonder could the accuracy issue you are having be something else? For example is the barrel free floated? Is the barrel a bull or contoured barrel? Both of mine are stainless bull barrels.

The barrel is floated, it's in an Archangel stock. That just reminded me the Archangel comes with a pressure pad you can insert at various points. I will try that and see if helps. The barrel is the 16.5" threaded bull barrel. I wouldn't rule out operator error but in all honesty the shots look and feel good, if not I make a note on the target. For now the Volquartsen barrel is more accurate with the best vs. best ammo and more accurate with a variety of ammo.

Well, I'm no 10/22 master, lol hell I'm no master at anything as far as that goes, so if someone/anyone has an idea to try please present it. Just don't ask me to shoot $15/box Eley Tenex Pistol until it starts shooting good. This was a suggestion by a clique member on RFC. Another clique member said that shooting the rifle more would smooth over the burrs I had in the first barrel. That's the kind of crap suggestions you get on RFC. Burrs can be seen above in Post #4.

Here is a photo taken the last day it was shot.

0801191031.jpg

My 10-22 is nothing more than a Ruger receiver in a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock with all other parts being Kidd (including barrel). It shoots very well but hardly comes out of the safe. My Vudoo has gotten all my attention lately but I did take the home-built CZ455, wearing one of the last Fedderson barrels made, out to see if I could find one type ammo that would shoot equally well in either. It was quite a success as I found both guns to shoot Eley Club and Wolf Match Target Extra extremely well and, as a bonus, to same POI at 50 yards. Having spoken to Sandra and to Bill at length before ordering that barrel, I can say nothing but good things about them. Quality and accuracy are why the company is there and seeing how he treated your issue makes that even more apparent.

i bought my feddersen used after 2 bad kidd barrels. so my best, and worst aftermarket have been from kidd. my feddersen isnt as good of a shooter as my 2 older kidds, and my GM HT, but it shoots 3/8- 1/2" at 50y with CCI std velocity. doesnt really pick up anything with more expensive ammo. not great, but good enough for my purposes with it. the replacement barrel kidd sent me for the 4 MOA@50 barrel, needed lapua to shoot as well at 50y as my stainless factory carbine 10/22 barrel does with CCI SV.

<begin rant>
    Unless you've done a lot of sanding, the Archangel AAP1022 stock itself is a pressure point. I bought one and the receiver had to be pounded into the stock with a rubber mallet. Hell, you couldn't remove the mag without a lot of work. It's sitting in a junk box waiting to be disposed of at this point.
    <end rant>

If you haven't already, try the barrel without the suppressor. It might be doing something with the harmonics of the barrel. I'd burn up some "expensive" ammo seeing if it got better with more rounds through it; Use CCI SV (well, it is more expensive than Golden Bullets). If nothing else, you can have some fun experimenting.

@ Littlepod, you wanting to see some groups?

@ Shoot4fun, Wolf makes a Match Target and a Match Extra, which did you shoot?

@ cab0154, did you get your money back from KIDD?

@ bill, I know what you mean about sanding the insides of the stock for the mag to fall out. I started out without the Suppressor but I can try again. Maybe this thing called barrel droop is coming into play and I can't tell it?? I'll keep trying different things.

Yeh just curious how bad is bad with the new federssen barrel. I'm still waiting for a good prefit bull barrel for the Tikka T1X :) I wish they could just somehow cut one for it.

Here are the two best targets, one suppressed and one not.

0805192327.jpg0805192327a.jpg

IDK, maybe 10/22's are not my forte.

Money back from Kidd....uh no. They wouldnt even respond to my emails after testing the second barrel. I had spent a few hundred in ammo testing both barrels at that point. I sold it. I told the guy how it shot and he was fine with what it would do. I took the $ I got from selling it and bought the used Feddersen barrel, which is a much better shooter with CCI SV, than the 2nd Kidd was with lapua. and the kidds crown was backbored, the feddersen isnt. not sure how that works. the kidd barrels both were weird, dead cold they would shoot 2 or 3 through the same hole. but once those barrels got any heat in them they just threw fliers everywhere. i included that info in the emails to kidd, but their response were what i would call very limited. i had a clark trigger kit fracture the hammer one time, i had much better customer service from them than i ever did from kidd.

i have found my feddersen likes a little bigger bullet. mine likes CCI SV. I havent tried any of the eley EPS bullet in it yet, but i just got some fresh tenex i may have to try. if you try the eley, clean the barrel first, or at least patch it out a few times. their lube doesnt seem to lay down on top of other fouling. i got that info from Neal Stepp when I was back in college after telling him i never had much luck with eley shooting well. So i followed his advice and it has proven true for me over and over throughout the years.

i have found my feddersen likes a little bigger bullet. mine likes CCI SV. I havent tried any of the eley EPS bullet in it yet, but i just got some fresh tenex i may have to try. if you try the eley, clean the barrel first, or at least patch it out a few times. their lube doesnt seem to lay down on top of other fouling. i got that info from Neal Stepp when I was back in college after telling him i never had much luck with eley shooting well. So i followed his advice and it has proven true for me over and over throughout the years.

Interesting... I was shooting 1.1" groups with Eley through a dirty barrel, and then I cleaned it, and shot it again the next day and it was definitely tighter groups... It wasn't the most scientific test as it was a different day, etc...

Though on my other rifle, I also cleaned it, but shot 50 rounds of CCI SV, then 50 rounds of Eley Target, and 50 rounds of Eley Tenex and it seemed to also shoot rather tight.

Reactions: cab0154
    When you say bigger, what exactly are you referring to?

I assume that cab0154 is referring to the diameter of the bullet at the driving bands. I've played a bit with increasing bullet diameters, but it's not worth the effort and the results are inconsistent. I'd rather spend the money on better ammo.

that is some really nice customer service, I agree it shouldn't have happened the second time but the way they handled that shows their integrity as a company

I have always used cci sv in my feddersen bull barrel and have had good accuracy at 50yds and 100 yds... its my favorite 10 22 and sits in a titan stock...

When you say bigger, what exactly are you referring to?
    I assume that cab0154 is referring to the diameter of the bullet at the driving bands. I've played a bit with increasing bullet diameters, but it's not worth the effort and the results are inconsistent. I'd rather spend the money on better ammo.

Yes. You could try some of the eley with the EPS bullet, like team/match/tenex (possibly others), the RWS semi auto has been shooting for me in my rifles that dont seem to like sk/lapua. and then CCI SV. but that being said, usually its not a night and day difference. my experience has been the barrel is what it is. have you tried messing with pressure points under the barrel? Something to try, may or may not make much difference with the rifling the way it is at the crown.

I finally have some good news for a change. I wish I had photos to explain what I did but that will have to come later. First off, I put the bedding block (what I call it) in the stock. This is a two piece plastic part that can sit in two different places in the stock. One section has a screw for adjustment and the other section goes between the barrel and adjustment section. When it is first inserted it will not touch a bull barrel, didn't know this or I would have just put it in, in the beginning. Anyway, I slid a piece of paper between the barrel and block and tightened the screw until the bedding block touched the barrel. I then removed the paper and turned the screw another 1/8 turn to make sure I had a significant amount of pressure to start with.

There is really no way to measure how much pressure you are putting on the barrel. But it doesn't matter because once you have it adjusted to where you want it, it will stay put and you simply rely on the receiver bolt torque setting, mine is 20 in/lbs.

Below is the initial target shot with CCI SV with the bedding block in place.

Fedderson CCI SV Group A 8-6-19.jpg

Below is the same setting and ammo just that I have added the Sparrow suppressor. I want to use the Sparrow whenever possible on everything I shoot. Not really any significant difference in accuracy with or without the Sparrow.

Fedderson CCI SV Sparrow Group B 8-6-19.jpg

Next I made only a 1/4 turn on the bedding block screw and reshot, same ammo and Sparrow. At this point I felt I had made an improvement and the flyers could have been the CCI.??

Fedderson CCI SV Sparrow Group C 8-6-19.jpg

Next, I wanted to try some known "good" ammo I had already shot. Next target was shot with Fed GM Match.

Fedderson Fed GM Match Sparrow 8-6-19.jpg

Next thing I will try is another 1/4 turn and see what happens. It got dark on me so I quit. I have never really fooled with pressure points I guess because I never had the need to. I sure am glad this Archangel stock come with one. As a side note my Winchester 52D has two bedding screws on both sides of the stock near the end of it. Whoever had it before me has moved the barrel to one side. I never messed with it, just got it and shot it. Here is how it shoots. Of course this is high grade ammo and I will get to that with the Fedderson after trying to find the sweet spot.

52D Eley Match 7-19-19.jpg
    52D Eley Tenex Pistol 7-19-19.jpg

Reactions: Rover31