• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Federal 210 Primer color variation

MacCoon

Private
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2018
www.precisionrifleseries.com
I opened a box of federal 210s and flipped them and immediately noticed a distinct color difference. I tried to document it with a couple photos. if the red material is the fuel for ignition then I can’t expect anything other than a proportional variation in powder ignition.

The sort resulted in 4 groups. See pics.
I kept track and sorted loaded rounds so I can measure velocity … will see if there is a gross difference.

2B192539-C0F2-459B-9627-111788FA9054.jpeg
82A0F69D-481D-4690-B2B9-9236C39F3AFB.jpeg

Haney, tnx for ur reply. I see the terminology in the graphic indicates ’foil paper’. The redness on my primers is definitely not a sheet material … it appears to me to be a dried liquid. Perhaps it is a sealant on top of the foil to limit moisture from absorbing into the priming mix beneath. If you zoom in on the pics you can see the red material covers the brass fingers, (3) surfaces, on all edges on some and none on others.

I dont think I have seen foil paper on any currently manufactured CCI or Federal primers.
That red paint is probably some part of the manufacturing process, maybe an inspection
mark as there is no consistency in the application of it.

Might get an answer by reaching out to Federal Cartridge here in Minnesota. I use to call on the engineering and maintenance group a few years ago and would definitely asked the question if I did, but I am no longer working for that company.