• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Federal .308 168 gr BTHP

Re: Federal .308 168 gr BTHP

thats a very touchy subject, about half will say they use it and half will say you cant or they wouldnt use it, i have used them on deer and antelope with great success, but im sure someone will be in here in a while saying its a match round and isnt suitable for hunting, but i really like the amax rounds as well from hornady, they are also very accurate, i have used the smk as well as the berger, 168s, both are good to go. as with any bullet it is all about shot placement, and just because it says match on the box that doesnt mean thats all its good for is punching paper, so if i were you i would load you up some or go buy a box and do some testing, you wont get a clear answer on this subject from here,as i said its half and half,

just me though

lone_soldier said:
thats a very touchy subject, about half will say they use it and half will say you cant or they wouldnt use it, i have used them on deer and antelope with great success, but im sure someone will be in here in a while saying its a match round and isnt suitable for hunting, but i really like the amax rounds as well from hornady, they are also very accurate, i have used the smk as well as the berger, 168s, both are good to go. as with any bullet it is all about shot placement, and just because it says match on the box that doesnt mean thats all its good for is punching paper, so if i were you i would load you up some or go buy a box and do some testing, you wont get a clear answer on this subject from here,as i said its half and half,

just me though [/quote

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

no problem, alot of people are sensitive about it because it has been covered alot of times before. which it has, and its always a 23 page event with all the supportive and nonsupportive people argueing about it, it normally gets ugly, so i would just advise to each his own and go out and shoot, and try some but from my experience on deer to elk sized game there is no issue.

one thing is for sure,they don't mushroom. I found a bunch of my 168 smk's that went through a 1/2 inch sheet of plywood and hit a dirt bank. the only thing that changed from the brass to the dirt was they had rifleing marks on them, they still weigh 168

I to have found a bunch in the dirt that could be reloaded. I do know that the 52 grain SMK's in 23 will go right through a PD and just let a little light through him. I think I'd just go with a more 'recognized" hunting bullet.

Greg

PS: It really is all about bullet placement. A 308 caliber hole in an elk's heart is going to end very poorly for the elk and very well for the butcher. -- G.