• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Federal 45 cal cases

donp326

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2011
Kentucky
In my last reloading of once fired 45 brass that I collected from
my local indoor range, I noticed that the primer flash hole took only small primers. I originally tried a large primer like all my other 45 cases are. it didn't go. I looked at the case and the flash hole was noticeably smaller. What goes here?

Re: Federal 45 cal cases

what you are running into is the non-toxic 45 auto. almost everyone is making it, but they all use a small pistol primer. apparently no one makes a large lead free primer!1 you can use a small pistol primer and reload using the same powders like a normal 45 auto case that uses the large primer.

wait till you cook off a large primer trying to load a small primer pocket using a dillon loader- that will get your attention!! we always separate out the small primers for that reason.

Like brassman said, they just take small pistol primers. You'll lose a few FPS with the same load, but nothing horrible. I weed them out and use them for times when I know I won't be able to recover my brass. I've got a couple gallon jugs full of them I keep around for just that reason, I don't care if I lose them.

Thanks I just had never seen them before and it surprised me when I tried to put a large primer into the first on of these. I had two total so far but I'm going to trash any more I find. I have fired a primer or tow doing 308's over the years but not 45 as as of yet.