• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Federal Ammo blowing primers?

Shibumi

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2004
Las Vegas
Does anybody else have any experience with Federal Gold Match 175 gr. blowing primers?
I had just gotten my GAP AR-10 to the range and it was cycling the 118LR great, but then 2 rounds of 175 went to hell.
Both fired, one bulged a primer, and then next one blew out primer and the shrapnel jammed the gun. I did call George, and no it is not the gun. A professional gunsmith looked at it and verified this personally.
Tried looking at Federal website for Customer Service, but no luck.
FYI Federal is my favorite brand, and works great in my Remington, and I have no doubt in the GA, but that is a little weird having that happen.
Any information appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

Re: Federal Ammo blowing primers?

How hot was it in Vegas that day? Was your ammo in the sun as well?

Fed Brass is weak in the ass.

Gas guns don't handle pressure as well as a bolt gun.

I have had the same experience as you on hot days with factory ammo.

Biggest problem is when the primer gets wadded up in the trigger mechanism and you need to take it apart. Fun.

Good luck

I was with Chiller, and the day was not overly hot. The ammo was not left out in the sun, the gun was not dirty, nor wet. This was my first, and I have a lot of rounds thru a SR-25, and M-4, but never blown a primer.
Thanks,

Phil

Try the same ammo in your bolt gun and look for pressure signs. If the ammo is not hot in your bolt gun, its not the ammo.

I saw the same thing about two weeks ago with some Federal hunting ammo in a similar weapon where the FGMM 168's and 175's were not showing any pressure signs at all.
It was the length of the throat and the factory bullet seated out closer to the lands and this drove the pressure up WITH THAT AMMO which was not hot in any of the bolt guns.

I have had the same thing happen with my GAP AR-10 with select lots of FGMM that are not hot in the bolt gun, but the AR-10 does not like that lot, period.
Other lots, no problem and 118LR zero problems at all.

Jhuskey,
Thanks for the insight.
I will try the lot in my bolt. The M118LR shot great, but I guess different everything about it.
Bummer on Federal, as they shot great through the gun.

What groups did you GA AR-10 shoot, and with what?

My GAP AR-10 holds 1/2 moa with anything you feed it. It really likes 168 FGMM and has shot a number of .4 groups with it. Everybody who has shot this rifle comments on how accurate it is. George built this one early on with a Schneider barrel.

I should have mentioned earlier that I did have to add a hydraulic buffer and had George plug and redrill the gas hole smaller, and now it shoots pretty much anything I feed it.

Jhuskey,

Thanks for the info! I am very happy with the gun, and will address my issues with Federal in regards to ammo being bad.