• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Federal dumping light loads of .308 FGMM?

dbooksta

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2009
PA
I've been wondering why .308 FGMM has been showing up under $1/round recently. I bought some 168gr and pulled a round and found it only had 40.3gr of powder, which IIRC is light for them. I chronographed the box at 2645fps from a 22" bbl. IIRC we could expect more like 2730fps out of 22" with 168gr FGMM, and that load would generally have at least 42gr of powder, but I can't find any of my notes on this because it has been years since I've shot it. Is my memory serving correctly?

Or is this standard performance for FGMM?

That velocity sounds right to me. Maybe the charge weight is different due to the use of a different powder.

I found 44.9 gn of mystery powder in the 185 juggernaut GMM load. I thought it was CFE 223(Looked like the same powder), It wasn't. Maybe MR2000?

Old load was 42.8 of IMR 4064. With 168's.

As posted above, a powder lot switch (even commercial reloaders run into this) may have prompted them to reduce the charge weight. I find it amazing that the FGMM line is as good as it is, considering they have to load a round that is safe in ALL weapons and typically quite accurate.

I think its common practice to load to velocity, so they might have gotten a lot of powder that runs a little hotter than the other lot that you sampled.