• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Federal Gold Medal .223 Rem, 69 grain Sierra Matchking analysis...

Dan Newberry

Sergeant
Minuteman
I had a 'hide member ask about the Federal .223 Remington Gold Medal Match load (69 grain Sierra bullet).

He sent me a box of ammo to look at. In this particular lot, the powder is a ball powder which weighs 24.7 grains.

This is just a cursory look at this factory load recipe. Velocity and accuracy tests with the suspected equivalent powder(s) would be the next step.

Volume tests show it compares well to W748 and AA2520. H335 does not match, as it's a heavier powder by a significant margin.

Between W748 and AA2520, the 2520 matches in burn and appearance more than the 748. The Winchester powder has a duller finish, whereas the the shinier appearance of the AA powder matches the Federal factory powder. I believe either powder would work to duplicate the load, however.

Because this is a ball powder that's in question here, there's going to be more potential for an odd lot, bought in bulk, by Federal. The ball powders seem to "wander" a bit more from lot to lot than extruded powders do. There's a good chance if you check your own lot of the factory ammo, the powder charge could vary a bit--but the desired burn rate, it seems, is in the vicinity of the W748 or AA2520 arena.

Stated velocity seems to be on par with what AA2520 or W748 would do with a 24.7 grain charge. However, with Federal brass, neck tension consistency of reloaded cases might not be as good as the initial factory firing--and accuracy may not equate.

Work up from safe levels to around 24.7 grains of W748 or AA2520 with the Sierra 69 grain Matchking to see how well this duplicates the factory load.

Dan

You also need to be mindful of the ambient temperature when you develop and range test your loads. My experience is Win 748 is a very temperature sensitive powder. Loads developed in the winter may be unsafe over-pressure in the summer. Last thing you want to do is pull a bunch of loads you thought were good. Load safe.

Hi Dan, I have a few questions. When you say the H335 is heavier does that make the powder less efficient? Is there significantly less velocity attained with H335? I use H335 but I'm always looking to try something new. I use 24 grains of it with the 69smk in LC brass and 21.6grains with the 77cc Noslers.

Thanks for the happy Thanksgiving wishes. :)

The H335 is a good powder for the .223, and is certainly as good as whatever Federal is using here... when I say it's "heavy" I just mean that it's heavy compared to W748 and AA2520, with volumes being equal. And it's heavier than the factory powder we found in this lot of FC shells.

Published maximums did not allow for 24.7 grains of H335... another thing that led me away from thinking that Federal was using that powder.

But for the AA2520, temp sensitivity considerations factored in, the 24.7 grain charge ought to work across a wide range of conditions. It's a max load by most standards, but not "over the top"...

Dan

Ive had great success with 2520 and a 69/68 bullet. I can check the actual recipe tomorrow but if I remember correctly it is right around mid 24 grains. I really like 2520 and find primer choice the key to success. It likes hot, magnum or mil spec primers. I dont have any 748 do you want a pic of 2520?

Im at 24.3

Last edited:
I have W748 and AA2520, and thousands of 69gr SMK, so this thread was a great find for me. I Love the Hide!!
THANK YOU Dan Newberry for your analysis. If I don't find my own "Chocolate Ice Cream" load, I will engage you for your services.

Since ATK owns both Federal and Alliant, it would make sense to "keep it in the family."

Hi Dan,

Any .223 load recommendations to give? I'm new to reloading the .223 and could use some guidance if you can assist.
My rifle is a Remington 700P and I have had poor performance with the FEDERAL Match 69gr Sierra HPBT. From what I can tell, the twist rate is 1:9 (it's not on the barrel, but the manufacturer states so).
My groups from a stable rest are what I would consider poor: 2 or 3 inches at 100 yds.
I would like to find the best accuracy load and could use some help if you have time to entertain it.

Regards,

Dan

Since ATK owns both Federal and Alliant, it would make sense to "keep it in the family."

Hi Pinecone:
I think AA 2520 is an Accurate powder rather than Alliant.
I consulted the Alliant loading manual and the only powder they recommend for the .223/5.56mm is Reloder 15, which is a single-perforation, single-flake powder, not spherical.
I could be mistaken, but I don't think Alliant makes a spherical powder for use in these calibers.
It would make sense to me that Federal uses a powder that gives them the best performance (they have a reputation to uphold) without regard to who manufactures it.
Just my take on it.
Bob

Dhunt,
If your rifle will not shoot that ammo, I would give the rifle and scope a good once over. Have you been able to get anything to shoot in it well? Try some some 52-53g bullets, If they will not shoot, you have a rifle issue.
I don't have a can of AA2520 but i'm 99% sure that its surplus/ foreign powder like most of the other AA powders. There is often quite a bit of lot to lot variation.

Last edited:
I've tried 52 grain SMK's, 53grain SMK's and 69 grain SMK's in all of my AR's and straggly enough get the best results group wise with the 52Grain SMK's using W748. It matter not if the twist is 1;7, 1:8 or 1:9. If i was shooting longer distance I probably would go with the 69 grain SMK's.

Federal Gold Medal .223 Rem, 69 grain Sierra Matchking analysis...

Hi I'm new to the forum, (registration anyway) but have been following for awhile. I pulled a bullet the other day to try and dupe some FGMM 69SMK and noted the following. I know the total weight of the cartridge means nothing, but didn't feel like pulling all the rounds observed: see more at the end

COAL OGIVE TOTAL WEIGHT OF ROUND POWDER CHARGE
2.25 1.866 188.9g
2.25 1.8705 189.8g 25.0g
2.248 1.8620 189.0g
2.249 1.8605 188.8g
2.248 1.866 189.3g

I will attach some pics, but the powder looks just like RE15 but slightly shorter cut. (i know it means nothing) but looking at Lees Reloading book, this powder and bullet weight shows 25.5g as a max load, and the load I pulled was 25.0g. Amazing amount of crimp they place on the bullets too. Not like a Lee FCD, that is very cannelure, this crimp totally crimps the whole bullet that is in the neck of the case. Look at the deformation. I almost broke the kinetic bullet puller slamming this thing out. Surprising to me it does not affect accuracy....or maybe it does?????

LOT V33 W542 in case anyone cares...it's probably 2 years old..pre-ammogeddon

I've shot this load before out of a 16 inch RRA rifle, with excellent results of 8208 XBR, but at lighter loads and only about 2450 FPS....not enough for a longer range 223 round accommodating a 1:9 twist....so want to push it up. Headed to the "range" in a few days with 5 FGMM, 5 8208 23.8g, and 5 RE15 25g..all with 2.25 COAL, 1.867 OGIVE, heavy Lee FCD.....we'll see

pics ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409616734.783500.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1409616757.531531.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1409616769.382221.jpg

Last edited: