• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Federal Gold Medal Berger- results from using them?

BroncoMustang

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 5, 2018
I recently got a box of Federal Premium Gold Medal Berger ammo (in .308), but am waiting for my rifle build to be completed after I get the action. Have any of you shot these yet? What was your experience with regarding the accuracy and how far out were you shooting it? I'd be interested in hearing how it did. I've heard good things about this ammo, but would like to hear how it worked for you. Thanks.

Last edited:
Also, how did it compare to other ammo that you've shot?

Last edited:
Ive put about 200 rounds through my AW. 24 inch bartlein 1/10 barrel. 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups and very consistent at 1000. Only been able to shoot it at my local range. Set distances of 250,500,750 and 1000. Extremely happy with the ammo. Much prefer it over the normal FGMM 175SMK,

Reactions: BroncoMustang
I’m interested in this as well,I have 3 boxes with the 185 jug I’m yet to try,don’t hear much about them.
Comments on MidwayUSA or something similar (can't remember the exact one) were positive.

Ive put about 200 rounds through my AW. 24 inch bartlein 1/10 barrel. 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups and very consistent at 1000. Only been able to shoot it at my local range. Set distances of 250,500,750 and 1000. Extremely happy with the ammo. Much prefer it over the normal FGMM 175SMK,
Great news! Now this was what I was hoping to hear or read. Thank you for the information; I really appreciate it. I'm looking forward to shooting mine even more after reading your comments.

I was shooting the 6.5 cm in these and were produced great groups and I took a couple deer with them and they worked flawless. Only problem I had was the ES wasn't that great. I saw the spread of speeds at distance. At 900=1k, id hit low in the dirt, next shot would be dead center of a full size IPSC. IMO, they worked their best at 600 and in. Like I said, this was for the 6.5, not .308

I haven't tried the 308 but did try the 223 and 6.5 creed with pretty poor results. One lot of creedmoor that I got a couple boxes of shot great with pretty tight ES/SD (for factory ammo) but the other lots shot like shit with one having an ES over 100. The 223 was marginal at best too.

This is the polar opposite of what my experience has been with the Sierra Gold Medal 223 77gr, 308 168gr and 175gr, 300WM 190gr, and 224 Valkyrie 90gr. It has all provided excellent results with accuracy and consistency that I often can't beat loading myself.

Looks like they brought out some 6mm Creed in this as well. I'll be interested in trying that.

I've shot a bunch of it (probably close to 1,000 rounds) in 6.5 Creedmoor for when I don't feel like reloading. Out of a Christensen TFM the results were pretty good, it would group at just under half an inch.

That said, if your rifle doesn't like it it would seem they REALLY don't like it.

I don't have the numbers with me but if I remember the SD was below 15 which is acceptable to me for factory ammo. Cant recall the velocity off the top of my head. The winner for me was hitting the same 10 inch gong at 1000 consistently over a couple range trips. Much improved over the normal 175 load.

I don't have the numbers with me but if I remember the SD was below 15 which is acceptable to me for factory ammo. Cant recall the velocity off the top of my head. The winner for me was hitting the same 10 inch gong at 1000 consistently over a couple range trips. Much improved over the normal 175 load.
Thanks for the information; it is encouraging reading this.

I have shot probably 300 rounds of it so far and it has been great. Sub 1/2moa if not less out of my 20" OBR. I made repeated hits out to 1029 yards with it. Furthest I've taken it is 1194 and got a hit on my second try so I called it quits after that. MV is right around 2550-2560 with an SD between 7-10. This is all out of a gas gun too.

I have shot probably 300 rounds of it so far and it has been great. Sub 1/2moa if not less out of my 20" OBR. I made repeated hits out to 1029 yards with it. Furthest I've taken it is 1194 and got a hit on my second try so I called it quits after that. MV is right around 2550-2560 with an SD between 7-10. This is all out of a gas gun too.
Wow; I am impressed. It is encouraging to hear that you had such good results. Thanks for sharing this information.

Reactions: PFG
I've had great luck with the 185s. Started with the Applied Ballistics and those ran right along with the FGMM 175s. Then bought a case of the FGMM 185s. I still shoot both the 175s and 185s but in my SAC built Badger 18" 308 the Bergers are holding a slight edge.

5 shots at 100

20180128_114433.jpg
20180203_094650.jpg
20180203_095651.jpg

Last edited:
I've had great luck with the 185s. Started with the Applied Ballistics and those ran right along with the FGMM 175s. Then bought a case of the FGMM 185s. I still shoot both the 175s and 185s but in my SAC built Badger 18" 308 the Bergers are holding a slight edge.
Thanks for the information; it's good to read that you had good results.