• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Federal Gold Medal Sierra MatchKing Factory Ammo 100 Yard Battle

HousePlant

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2020
    In case anyone cares.

Conclusion: Atomic's "match" ammo isn't match-worthy. Federal's 175 variety is this rifle's favorite. Federal's 168 is a very close second.
    Rifle: Savage 12FV (factory 26" barrel) in MDT XRS with Nikon FX1000 6-24x50
    Caliber: .308 Win (all of this factory ammo has Sierra MatchKing bullets)
    Distance: 100 Yards (outdoor range)

All 5 shots...

Loser: Atomic 168 gr .308 Match
    I fired a total of 20 rounds of this ammo. Or tried to. 4 of them had dud primers. Another guy at the range with a .308 hunting rifle couldn't get the duds to fire, either. Anyway, this was the best group I could get. No perceived pulls despite the one off to the left. Perhaps this is intended somehow for a AR-10?
    iu

IMG_3268-168 Atomic.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2nd Place: Federal 168 gr .308 Match
    The one "flyer" doesn't have a shooter excuse that I remember. I have had better groups from 168s. (The hole above is from my 22LR during its sight-in.)

IMG_3268-168 Federal.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1st Place: Federal 175 gr .308 Match
    I'm calling these as the winner (barely) because the one off to the right was for sure a pull (I flinched thanks to a 450 Bushmaster with a break right next to me) and this wasn't my best grouping of the session (just the one I took home). Versus the 168s, I do consistently get slightly smaller groupings from the 175s. It's almost a toss up. In this case, it only looks like 4 shots when it was actually 5; middle hole is actually 2 "impacts".

IMG_3269-175 Federal.jpg

Didn't really notice recoil differences between the 168 vs. 175 ammo. Heavy gun, though.

Wow. Some no name ammo isn't as good In Your rifle as FGMM.
    I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks for the heads up on the failure rate (seriously, good info)

And it's gold medal not metal.
    As in winning a gold medal at a competition.

:ROFLMAO:... got another one for you......... Creedmore.

I'm so glad you spent the time. I really am. Unbelievable.

Wow. Some no name ammo isn't as good In Your rifle as FGMM.
    I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks for the heads up on the failure rate (seriously, good info)

Dammit! All these years and I thought the secret to the precision but also the high cost was gold metal in the ammo!

I feel like I just got told that Santa and the Queen aren't real.

Reactions: HousePlant
    Crap...I just picked up a box of this from my LGS, was hoping it would be as good as FGMM. I should have known better : /
    DW

Reactions: HousePlant
    :poop: Oh internet gun forums... if it's not reloaded and shot out of a custom that costs at least $4,000, well it's just no good!

Reactions: deltawiskey
    I'd say if FGMM wont shoot out of a 308 rifle, the rifle has problems. Not saying it's always the best, but it's always been pretty dang good.

CMP sold some Atomic ammo a bunch of years ago.

There were reports of it damaging rifles.

I had bought some. Was nothing special, mixed LC brass reloaded by them.

CMP sold some Atomic ammo a bunch of years ago.

There were reports of it damaging rifles.

I had bought some. Was nothing special, mixed LC brass reloaded by them.

One round was relatively hard to close the bolt on and probably half wouldn't eject properly (got stuck halfway pulled out of the chamber). I gave up on it even though I have about 60-70 left. Atomic uses Winchester brass... if that matters.