• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Federal large rifle magnum primers

Ishallbie O'Cullkillin

Central Coastranger
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2007
Oregon
I found an awesome load in .308 that is pushing the limits. 47gr of 2000mr & a 208gr Hornady hpbt in a Winchester case. For shits & giggles, I used a CCI large rifle magnum primer, the groups got even tighter and I picked up another 25fps. With no ejector marks, easy bolt lift, and only slight primer cratering, I figured I was good to go, at least until summer. Today I substituted some Federal magnum primers instead of the CCI magnums and got MAJOR flattening, no other pressure signs.
Are Federal primers softer?

Re: Federal large rifle magnum primers

There have been several reports on this site that says Federals are softer than CCI. I've never personally witnessed it, but I don't push my loads that hard to see a difference.

Cci takes pressure better than any primers thats why alot of people that load hot loads use them they do not show the pressure signs of reg primers. Powder coyld be an issue aswell if its not a temp stable powder it will have preasure spikes in different weather. U also should never sub out primers for this reason. Hope this helps a little

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MattK287</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found an awesome load in .308 that is pushing the limits. 47gr of 2000mr & a 208gr Hornady hpbt in a Winchester case. For shits & giggles, I used a CCI large rifle magnum primer, the groups got even tighter and I picked up another 25fps. With no ejector marks, easy bolt lift, and only slight primer cratering, I figured I was good to go, at least until summer. Today I substituted some Federal magnum primers instead of the CCI magnums and got MAJOR flattening, no other pressure signs.
Are Federal primers softer? </div></div>

Just curious, what was your coal?? I've tried in my crusader but I don't have enough freebore. 2.840 is in the lands. I loaded 43.5 just to be safe at 2.830" Amax btw. It shot awesome. At 165 yards 7 shots made two holes touching. Would love to run these in matches. I am actually thinking about using my buddies match grade reamer and throating it a bit more so I can run the 200+ pills. 208 amax is cheap but freaking deadly accurate

I really wanted the A-max to work, but I couldn't get them to group. 2.845 gets the 208 hpbt in the lands, I seat them at 2.830. A 27" Rem700 Rock M40 contour, chamber cut for 175gr Match Kings. I couldn't seat the 208 A-max deep enough to to fit the mag, also, powder was pushing my OAL all over the place.
Clocking right at 2600fps, the only accuracy test I shot yesterday yielded a 5 shot .598" group @ 200yds. Previous groups without fed mag primers run about 1" at 200yds using the 47gr 2000mr under a 208gr Hornady hpbt. I want to back off the charge a little, but those groups make it hard to do the right thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MattK287</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really wanted the A-max to work, but I couldn't get them to group. 2.845 gets the 208 hpbt in the lands, I seat them at 2.830. A 27" Rem700 Rock M40 contour, chamber cut for 175gr Match Kings. I couldn't seat the 208 A-max deep enough to to fit the mag, also, powder was pushing my OAL all over the place.
Clocking right at 2600fps, the only accuracy test I shot yesterday yielded a 5 shot .598" group @ 200yds. Previous groups without fed mag primers run about 1" at 200yds using the 47gr 2000mr under a 208gr Hornady hpbt. I want to back off the charge a little, but those groups make it hard to do the right thing.</div></div>

Just ran some #'s. If your at 2600, you'll be able to shoot 1480 yards at 400 asl. Give or take 40 yards. And depending on weather. That's with the amax btw. That's incredible

Right, I ran those numbers too. Reducing the charge opens the group up.I want to find a way to keep the tight groups, but reduce the charge. Maybe I should find the next node down, and keep the magnum primers. I just need to get to 1330yds.