• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Federal Large Rifle Primers?

KneverKnew

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2019
after trying to locate large rigle
Primers on line with not much luck, I discovered my LGS is carrying Federal Large Rifle Primers. I use standard LRP’s in 8x57, 7x57, 6.5x55, 6.5 CM, 7.5x55, 308 and 30-06. There are a few others but you get the idea. Is there any negatives or opinions about Federal Primers compared to CCI or Winchester that I’ve used in the past? I will not be using these in floating firing pin guns.

after trying to locate large rigle
Primers on line with not much luck, I discovered my LGS is carrying Federal Large Rifle Primers. I use standard LRP’s in 8x57, 7x57, 6.5x55, 6.5 CM, 7.5x55, 308 and 30-06. There are a few others but you get the idea. Is there any negatives or opinions about Federal Primers compared to CCI or Winchester that I’ve used in the past? I will not be using these in floating firing pin guns.

You answered the biggest concern in your last sentence...although I've never personally experienced that, I have read enough internet lore to keep using CCIs in my large frame ARs.

I use Federal 210s in several bolt guns, and they work excellent. I'd use again without hesitation.

FWIW, I have a Bergara Premier Approach in 7 mag that I've cussed a few times on here. Maybe it is the .047 firing pin protrusion, but it WILL NOT reliably pop my CCI 250s. I switched to Federal 215s and the problem went away (and somewhat confirmed for me that Federal primers are easier to set off). Those same CCI 250s work great and without issue in any other rifles I've tried them in.

Best of luck.

Reactions: KneverKnew
I also saw some Winchester #34 LRP for 7.62. These are made FOR the AR’s or similar with floating pins. I’ve normally used the CCI 34’s but are unavailable. Anyone have issues with the Winchesters 34’s? They are available.

Reactions: simonp