• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

federal lr primers

frigid

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2008
Frigid, PA
How big a difference is there between the regular & match primers? I bought 5000 of the regular for next to nothing about 1yr ago. ($50 at a yard sale) couldn't pass it up & match primers were non existant then & probably arent much better now.

I just got my rifle done & I am itching to get going. I have the primers, some once fired privi,federal, lake city brass, 8 lbs of TAC & a big box of 168gr smk's. Anything to keep in mind?? first time loading for .308.

Re: federal lr primers

It depends. the recent story in Handloader seeking "the most accurate 308 load,
(it had to equal Fed GMM) ended up with CCI magnums and Varget!
I noticed a small + for BR primers in the 222 but no difference in larger calibers.
Most loading data in Handloader uses regular or magum primers depending on the cartridge. So I guess regular ones work fine in most applications.

In my testing I never found any advantage in a M1A or a 700 Sendero. I just by what is availible. I've not tested them in My GAP or a 700 LTR so there maybe some difference in a shorter barrel or a true match quality barrel. Donald

If you store them properly, they will do you well. I haven't bought "Match" primers in 4 or 5 years. The only difference is that a batch of match primers have a small lot that are inspected a couple of more times to verify the compound weight inside the cup.

I found a small cooler I had left in one of my sheds, containing 2000, CCI 250 lr primers, 3000 each small and large pistol primers, and 1000, 209 primers.

These were given to me a couple years ago and I hadn't thought about them much as I figured, given their age (30-40 years!) they would only be suitable for plinkage rounds. But opening a few sample sleeves of each reveals very good condition.

I figure they free up that quantity of my stock of WLR, BR2 and 210m primers for my better rifle loads. As to the pistol primers, I really am not that concerned about the occasioanl dud in my practice rounds.

These were contained in a large ammo box along with three unopened cans of powder (Photos previously posted here;

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=851702 ), a Forster lathe, brass, bullets, assorted odds and ends.

Finding them today, while looking for something else naturally, was like finding forgotten cash!

I'm damn sure not tossing them!

I store all my primers in the factory boxes inside zip lock bags. Put these in fat 50 ammo cans with freshened desicant packs and you're good to store for a long time. I have 20 year old primers that are still very good today.

Victor,

I have read your previous posts describing that method and not followed that advice. As my latitude has to be easily 30% more humid than yours, that makes me a moron for not having taken your cue by at least the third time time I read it!

I have all of that on hand, it'll happen tomorrow. Found money deserves nothing less!

hehe...

there are so many variations of "the most accurate 308 load" it is laughable.

Varget, RL 15, 4064, 4895, ( IMR, Hodgdon ) blah blah blah.... to say varget and CCI's ar ethe most accurate is only applicable to the rifle used.

so any way...

I have used CCI's, WLR, WLRM, Fed 210, 210M, 215's, etc. etc

there are so many good loads I typically change to what components are avail.

on hand I have RL 15 and CCI's drilling ragged holes at 100 an 5" at 500 yards...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Victor,

I have read your previous posts describing that method and not followed that advice. As my latitude has to be easily 30% more humid than yours, that makes me a moron for not having taken your cue by at least the third time time I read it!

I have all of that on hand, it'll happen tomorrow. Found money deserves nothing less! </div></div>

I think I read it in an old handloading manual many years ago. Because I have always done it. Before desicant packs we used to "bake" regular chalk. Not the dustless kind but the softer kind like sidewalk chalk for kids now. $4 or $5 for a small pail at any store that has toys. Put a few pieces in the oven at 200 degrees for an hour. When it comes out wrap in 1 layer of paper towel and staple the ends closed. You have a desicant pack. Unwrap and rebake every year or so if the cans are opened. If not they work for a while.

Good luck.