• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Federal "NT" .45 ACP brass?

Re: Federal "NT" .45 ACP brass?

found a few of these mixed in with my brass. really sucks. I just pitch em.

I do not have a definate answer for you but thought I may give you a possible route to look at as far as what it was used for.

I'm wondering if it was not originally used for "non-toxic" primers that are used in frangible training ammounition. I had done a little searching about frangible ammo last year. It seems as though most of the frangible is used in indoor ranges at close range on steel targets. Many comments can be found about poor primer performance (i.e. ignition). I could imagine that a larger flash hole may have been a posible remedy to improve this.

If you have a bunch of them say 50 or more, I would be interested in them for use with X-ring rubber bullets. PM me if you wanna get rid of them.

FYI...X-ring bullets are primer powered, you modify the case by drilling the flash hole oversize. They also reccomend filing a notch in the rim for identification so they are not mistakenly ever loaded for normal use. A cardboard box with 3 or 4 old towels draped over some dowell rods set in "v" notches cut in the top act as a bullet catcher. Tape your target on the front.
I used some old dish towels and they will penetrate the first 2 towels most of the time(4 thicknesses). I would not use them to scare off the nieghbors cat unless you have a shovel handy. I absolutly would never want to be shot with one of these.
The bullets are reusable and can be cleaned up if needed with a little Armor All. A box of 50 are under $8-$10. A decapper die and a lee priming tool are the only tools needed to load them up.

They will not cycle a semi auto and will have to be loaded singly. I do not shoot these in the house but I do shoot them in the garage from time to time. They are very accurate, and a useful training tool.

Sorry to get of track.
Hope this helps.

Well you've peaked my interset so I did a bit of reading.

Google "Federal NT brass" and you'll find this isn't a new thing.

It seems I may be off a little as to why they have a larger flash hole. The non toxic priming compound has a little more force than a standard primer, that caused the primers to back out. To counter act this they opened up the hole to reduce the pressure, switched to a small primer and crimped them to boot.

Some people say to throw them out others say just sort and load.

It also sounds like they can be bought fairly cheap if a guy is so inclined.