• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Federal Premium Trophy Copper?

Patton63

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2006
Northern Virginia
Does anyone here have in-the-field experience with Federal Premium's Trophy Copper rounds? In particular, the 180 gr. .300 Win Mag and the 165 gr. 308 rounds? These are shaping up to be the rounds I take to Africa this summer for plains game.

Thanks in advance.

I can't speak for the 30 cal version but used them on a few feral pigs last year with the 25-06 100 grain. Worked well under 300 yards.
Penetrate well and tears up meat about the same as a soft point but retains weight. Just not the most accurate ammo in my gun. 1.25 moa. Good enough for close hunting though.
I recovered one from a tail end shot through the ham up under the offside hide at the ribs on a sow.
I can't find the photo of the big 300#ish boar I dropped where it stood just under 200 yards. Punched him right through the shoulders. I think you'll do fine with the 300 mag or 308.

Attachments

• photo47869.jpg
    photo47869.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 31
  • photo47870.jpg
    photo47870.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I've been using them for years, both the 180 in a 300wm and the 165's. Excellent performance from both bullets. The group well/shoot well out to around 400 yards or so. Expansion has been great. My go to bullets for hunting.