• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Federal Primer Observ. and Comps. a Field Study

Darkphage

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2008
Orem, Utah
Hi,

Some observations I made this week.

With my TRG 42 .338 I normally load Federal GM215M primers, their match variety.
They have come into extremely short supply as of late, after trying to find them for over a month, I finally e-mailed Federal.

The rep. from Federal told me NOT to expect any Federal GM215M primers to be available for the REMAINDER OF 2009! Being February, that concerned me a bit.

So, I went and bought some regular Federal Primers (the normal 215's) and found a couple interesting things.

#1 I loaded and shot both samples under as identical of conditions as humanly possible, only changing the primers.

#2 Average MV with the non-match Fed. Primers was about 25fps slower than with the GM215M's. Not a huge deal there.

#3 The velocity spread was <span style="text-decoration: underline">WAY</span> larger than with the GM215M primers.

Under identical loading/shooting procedures, I found that the GM215M primers gave me a MV spread of only 19fps across a 20 shot sample.

The normal Federal 215's yielded a 70fps spread over a 20 shot sample.

So, who gives a shit?

Changing only MV input in my ballistic app. gave the following results.

A 19 fps spread 2938 - 2954 @ 1500yds equals 8 inches of dispersion.

A 70 fps spread 2879 - 2949 @ 1500yds equals 34 inches of dispersion.

Eight inches I can live with, 3 friggin feet? -- More than I want by a little over 2 feet.

Anyway -- just thought I'd share with the Hide.

As my favorite primers are MIA for a while -- can anyone recommend a substitute primer that has worked well in their .338 lapuas, that can hold a tighter MV?

And or anyone know where they still have some Federal GM215M primers?

Thanks,

Dark

Re: Federal Primer Observations

Rather than try and keep your identical load, except the primer, how about just reworking the load with the new primer?

You might find that it takes a minimal amount of powder change to get a new load that shoots just as well.