• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

fedex requires scanning your driver's license for powder etc?

davsco

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2014
NoVa
driver said it was a new policy and wouldn't hand over the powder from brownell's without a scan of my DL. he wasn't sure if this was just fedex policy, government or brownell's and if it's hazmat or everything, but first time that's happened to me.

They drop it on my porch usually also. Unless it’s a brand new policy

They started requiring ID right after 9/11 then eased off after a while.

UPS or FedEx are supposed to get a signature from the occupant, but they usually drop it on the porch and split.

Brownells powder order this week will not let me pick a hold location on the app like usual. I’ve inquired into this previously and was told it’s the merchant’s preference/requirement not FedEx.

Maybe it's some state thing, or the driver is part of panitfa and they are making lists

Walgreens has scanned my license at pickup for alcohol when using it as a drop location for FedEx but other times just looked at my license 🤷‍♂️

I don't remember the last time I was asked to sign for a package- especially the "signature required" packages. Just left on the porch. FedEx, UPS, USPS, none of them.

Reactions: 308pirate
Racial Profiling ;)
Edit:

FedEx guy just dropped off a package here... I asked him about things discussed here. He was very businesslike and explained some things in depth.
First - FedEx Express and FedEx Ground are two different companies.... They operate by two different set's of rules.
Second - Their protocol on weapons related stuff is to verify the person receiving the shipment is at least 21 years old.

That was about it

Attachments

• IMG_5670.JPG
    IMG_5670.JPG
    458.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I dropped a package off at the local FedEx a few weeks back and the needed to scan my drivers license. They didn't ask me what was in the box.

FedEx, UPS, and USPS have delivered enough powder, bullets, and brass to my house they must think I work for a major ammo producer. I had to reinforce my mailbox after one bullet delivery was obviously testing the limits.

Most times I find it at my door. I once had to go to the FEDEX main distribution center for a powder pickup. Painful to say the least.

Got primers in last week from brownells. FedEx guy and I went back and forth a few days. Him leaving the note then me signing it. Usually this results in him leaving the package. Well the second day he told me some driver had delivered alcohol to a minor. Ever since then they have been required to scan your DL.

I've had 2 hazmat deliveries in 2 weeks time, both by FedEx, different drivers. Both needed to scan the back of my DL, which the second driver said acts as a signature. He stated signatures are not being obtained due to covid issues (handing their scanner to the customer, etc). These guys work for a Fedex contractor, and stated this was his employers policy since it was FedEx's policy. Don't know about the existence of policies by FedEx, but guess it's no different than signing for it. There is all kinds of paper work to trace where stuff goes for the most part, so I just give 'em the DL and go on with life. Neither driver even looked to see if it was my DL, or the wife's. ;);)

Got primers in last week from brownells. FedEx guy and I went back and forth a few days. Him leaving the note then me signing it. Usually this results in him leaving the package. Well the second day he told me some driver had delivered alcohol to a minor. Ever since then they have been required to scan your DL.
They don’t seem to have an issue delivering alcohol to a minor around here.

What you do is you take a black sharpie to your drivers license and add one or two more dots. This will prevent the back of your drivers license from scanning for either the purposes of being carded or for things like FedEx. It will cause you problems but it will also keep individuals and corporations from reading your biometric data that is stored on your drivers license. They can still feel free to read the front of the card like everybody else does.

I know, I’m a bad person… But a lot of information is encoded on that barcode on the back of your drivers license. Most organizations have absolutely no need for that information. FedEx does not need to be able to scan for your date of birth, eyecolor, weight, color of your hair, blood type, donor registration information, whether you are a veteran, or any of the other things and coded on your drivers license.

I’ve recently discovered that both UPS and Federal Express seem to be checking packages and delaying them when you were shipping things like suppressors. In the past three weeks I have attempted to ship my suppressors to be refinished to an FFL in Florida. Both times the packages were interdicted and UPS even claims they lost them for two weeks. FedEx on the other hand did not deliver the package priority overnight like they were supposed to and I had to call them and put in a claim saying they were lost. Without a doubt something is going on related to shipping things and both of the major shippers are interdicting packages.

What you do is you take a black sharpie to your drivers license and add one or two more dots. This will prevent the back of your drivers license from scanning for either the purposes of being carded or for things like FedEx. It will cause you problems but it will also keep individuals and corporations from reading your biometric data that is stored on your drivers license. They can still feel free to read the front of the card like everybody else does.

I know, I’m a bad person… But a lot of information is encoded on that barcode on the back of your drivers license. Most organizations have absolutely no need for that information. FedEx does not need to be able to scan for your date of birth, eyecolor, weight, color of your hair, blood type, donor registration information, whether you are a veteran, or any of the other things and coded on your drivers license.

I’ve recently discovered that both UPS and Federal Express seem to be checking packages and delaying them when you were shipping things like suppressors. In the past three weeks I have attempted to ship my suppressors to be refinished to an FFL in Florida. Both times the packages were interdicted and UPS even claims they lost them for two weeks. FedEx on the other hand did not deliver the package priority overnight like they were supposed to and I had to call them and put in a claim saying they were lost. Without a doubt something is going on related to shipping things and both of the major shippers are interdicting packages.
Yeah this is what scares the shit out of me and why I absolutely hate sending anything off to be worked on, firearms or suppressors. In fact, I’m curious what the protocol is when a suppressor is shipped and it comes up missing? Had a firearm I sold to a guy here years ago come up missing when shipped USPS. Long story but the short is, they didn’t want to help, I got my ATF buddy involved and it got found real quick in a totally different package and all. Turns out the USPS has some people stealing a bunch of crap at a specific location. I will leave it at that. Dude finally got the rifle, albeit somewhat damaged but he was able to take to a smith and solve the small issue that they had done to it. Pissed me off to no end.

What happens if one doesn’t have a DL? Do they refuse to deliver the package?
Good question! Someone try it and report back.

Suppressors, machine guns, and pistol are suppose to be sent overnight.

They are required to be disclosed and shipped to a FFL.

It appears the the ATF would prefer them to go FFL to FFL.

Yes. We know that. But that doesn’t stop them from getting lost or stolen somewhere along the way. I am asking what the protocol is for If that happens?

Well, if a pistol or machine gun is lost you call local law-enforcement and then you reach out to the ATF and you tell them that FedEx or UPS lost a machine gun or pistol.

When a firearm is lost via one of the major shippers that tends to get a pretty immediate response. Especially if it’s a machine gun… in that case I’ve seen the FBI in the ATF sure but UPS in stark given them more than a ration of crap.

It seems that if a suppressor is lost they don’t really care as much. In that case you type out a letter and you sign it, then you scan it back in and then you email it along with the body of an email paraphrasing whats in the letter to the NFA branch of the ATF.

They will put the information in your NFA file and inform anybody who comes looking for those suppressors that they were stolen. Then you call up the manufacturer and tell them that your suppressor was stolen and to keep an eye out for it. If a stolen suppressor shows up at the manufacturer they will contact the ATF who will then have some words with the individual that sent it to the manufacturer.😏

It’s certainly legal to send a firearm / suppressor back to the manufacturer for repair directly. What I’m not really certain about is what the procedural rules are for sending a class three item directly to an FFL for repair who is not the manufacturer.

I’ve done this in the past and UPS, for example, requires a copy of the FFL the firearm or suppressor is going to.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Well, if a pistol or machine gun is lost you call local law-enforcement and then you reach out to the ATF and you tell them that FedEx or UPS lost a machine gun or pistol.

When a firearm is lost via one of the major shippers that tends to get a pretty immediate response. Especially if it’s a machine gun… in that case I’ve seen the FBI in the ATF sure but UPS in stark given them more than a ration of crap.

It seems that if a suppressor is lost they don’t really care as much. In that case you type out a letter and you sign it, then you scan it back in and then you email it along with the body of an email paraphrasing whats in the letter to the NFA branch of the ATF.

They will put the information in your NFA file and inform anybody who comes looking for those suppressors that they were stolen. Then you call up the manufacturer and tell them that your suppressor was stolen and to keep an eye out for it. If a stolen suppressor shows up at the manufacturer they will contact the ATF who will then have some words with the individual that sent it to the manufacturer.😏

It’s certainly legal to send a firearm / suppressor back to the manufacturer for repair directly. What I’m not really certain about is what the procedural rules are for sending a class three item directly to an FFL for repair who is not the manufacturer.

I’ve done this in the past and UPS, for example, requires a copy of the FFL the firearm or suppressor is going to.
And how quick does UPS pay out for the loss?

None of this is true as far as I know.

FedEx requires handguns go by air so 2 day air is how I normally receive them.

Neither FedEx or UPS require any proof of FFL.

Silencers are considered firearms by both and can be shipped ground. Most I receive go 2nd day air but not required.

You can ship a firearm, handgun, silencer to yourself if you are not a licensee.

UPS won’t accept machine guns.
UPS does require a verbal notification to the driver picking up or the teller at drop off. I normally don’t unless I have spare time and am ready to go full Karen.

Both carriers have their requirements online. You can read them and stop posting what you think you know. Keep the misinformation from living forever.

Last edited:
Ding ding ding. Some of it is and some of it isn’t. The part about having to send a suppressor overnight is not the case. You certainly can and some manufacturers do that to try and avoid issues but there is no requirement to send overnight. If you are transferring ownership of a firearm then it must go to an ffl. But you are totally allowed to send a weapon to someone else to hold for you, take to be worked on or to a Smith/manufacturer or whatever. We used to send weapons to lodges to hold for us until we got there, all the time. Or ship to shows etc. if the firearm is not being sold or transferred to another owner then it doesn’t have to go to an FFL. With that said, whenever manufacturers sent anything in to us for review, testing, whatever, they always sent to an FFL and we always shoulder back via the same FFL.

Last edited:
FedEx has a whole internal process on finding lost guns, and it gets people excited.

Do not use FedEx ground. Ground is all contractors, air freight is not. It's goofy, but they operate as 2 separate companies in most regards.

Overnight is best because there's minimal time to get lost, no matter the shipper.

Reactions: SilentStalkr

FedEx requires handguns go by air so 2 day air is how I normally receive them.

Neither FedEx or UPS require any proof of FFL.

Silencers are considered firearms by both and can be shipped ground. Most I receive go 2nd day air but not required.

You can ship a firearm, handgun, silencer to yourself if you are not a licensee.

UPS won’t accept machine guns.
UPS does require a verbal notification to the driver picking up or the teller at drop off. I normally don’t unless I have spare time and am ready to go full Karen.

Both carriers have their requirements online. You can read them and stop posting what you think you know. Keep the misinformation from living forever.

Well, then you don’t live in Maryland.

100% - I’m quoting everything I’ve experienced. You don’t like it, not much to say. Regardless of what they have on their website, they ask for an FFL in Maryland if you are shipping to an FFL.

It’s been 10 Years since I shipped a machine gun… So I’ll defer to you on that… But I’ve definitely used both carriers to ship machine guns in the past. I even have the luxury of knowing that a UPS guy is rotting in prison when he attempted to steal an MP5.

UPS seems to be alot more on the ball about asking for a copy of the FFL its going to, as its their policy [at UPS in Gaithersburg, MD]. FedEx has asked me when I disclose I’m shipping suppressors.

Yes you can always ship something to yourself if you legally own it and it’s legal at the destination. (As I understand it…)

Regardless of all of that, I recently did exactly what you did and dropped two suppressors into a FedEx box and ship them to an FFL. Interestingly they were interdicted and didn’t get there until I called FedEx and gave them crap. That was a priority overnight shipment.

PS When you call the ATF and tell them that I machine guns missing everybody starts looking for it. Which is exactly the opposite of what happens when a suppressor goes missing..

Bumping an old thread because I just learned of this today.

Well it seems this is going to happen and soon….

ID scanning to be required for adult signatures starting in June 2022

On June 28, 2022, FedEx Express and FedEx Ground will enable ID scanning functionality for deliveries in the U.S. which require an adult signature. Our ID scanning technology will electronically capture the recipient’s name and automate age verification. This new process eliminates the need for manual data entry of recipient information and improves the accuracy of recipient information.
When a recipient’s ID is scanned, our scanning technology will:

• Capture the recipient’s name associated with the ID and auto-populate the first initial and last name.
  • Confirm the recipient is 21 years or older.
Our software does not record any other personal data (e.g., driver's license number, phone number(s), birthdate, home address, etc.). However, capturing the recipient’s first initial and last name is part of the existing proof of delivery process for all signature deliveries and will be retained only as long as necessary.

Last edited:
They’ve required this at Walgreens to pick up a held package that was “21 and over” such as alcohol. Walgreens won’t hold hazmat items.

So we had this weird thing with Maryland where for a time there were two drivers licenses ‘cause they were updating the drivers license from their old format to the new national ID kind of format.

Oddly they never asked for my old drivers license back and they never told me to destroy it…

The old drivers license had issues related to being able to be read properly with a barcode scanner…

(it was highly faded and I suspect that they just weren’t replacing the machines that were making those drivers licenses because they knew they were going to a new format and didn’t give a shit.)

Anyway, one day I was at a grocery store that sells beer and wine… And I noticed that they were scanning drivers licenses with a hand scanner for proof of age. I was not impressed by this because they can read everything off your drivers license, even if they’re only saying that they’re looking for your name and your birthdate - they have access to your home address and your other particulars that are encoded on the driver's license.

We have a lot of illegal aliens here and there were a bunch of people clearly not native to the United States that were in line with their their beer as it was a Friday night… in a very loud voice I say “ Man, if I were an undocumented / illegal immigrant in the United States concerned about whether the government knew that I was here or not, I don’t think I’d be really happy about some store scanning my drivers license; I could see a court order requiring the store to collection drivers license information…”

The chances of this are very low… But technology would make it very easy. Not to mention the liability related to PII and identity theft.

Anyway five people behind me in line put their stuff on the floor and walked out! Bahahahaha

The store has since stopped scanning drivers licenses electronically.

Last edited: